General MFC Discussion 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought. Does the general footy public, media, experts, Demon supporters and maybe even MFC seriously underrate the Leadership of Nath Jones, or, more to the point, not rate it at all?

Let me explain my thoughts. Viney was announced as co-captain, much to the bemusement of NJ (He even showed his dismay in press conferences) who thought that he was doing a perfectly fine job by himself and seemingly wasn't ready to share the captaincy. Fast forward to where we are at now and have been since Lewis was suspended, the general commentary is that we are severely lacking leadership in his absence and there are suggestions (warranted) that if he was playing this week we would have won because his "leadership" would have gotten the boys over the line in the dying moments of the game, as well as obviously his ability as a player. All this talk of "lack of leadership" "Melbourne of old creeping back" - Are they general comments with a fairly straight forward meaning or is it a broader reflection that even with our co-captains out in the middle, they are in fact not doing the job required, with the emphasis and spotlight mainly on Jones (Viney is a rookie skipper and will take time to adjust to the role).

I don't think he is a s**t captain or anything, he leads by example really well but we've had multiple losses in the last few years due to poor leadership in close games and he should cop 'some' flak, but we've been so bereft of leadership that he isn't the only one to blame (Vince for example was garbage).

Just a thought. Does the general footy public, media, experts, Demon supporters and maybe even MFC seriously underrate the Leadership of Nath Jones, or, more to the point, not rate it at all?

Let me explain my thoughts. Viney was announced as co-captain, much to the bemusement of NJ (He even showed his dismay in press conferences) who thought that he was doing a perfectly fine job by himself and seemingly wasn't ready to share the captaincy. Fast forward to where we are at now and have been since Lewis was suspended, the general commentary is that we are severely lacking leadership in his absence and there are suggestions (warranted) that if he was playing this week we would have won because his "leadership" would have gotten the boys over the line in the dying moments of the game, as well as obviously his ability as a player. All this talk of "lack of leadership" "Melbourne of old creeping back" - Are they general comments with a fairly straight forward meaning or is it a broader reflection that even with our co-captains out in the middle, they are in fact not doing the job required, with the emphasis and spotlight mainly on Jones (Viney is a rookie skipper and will take time to adjust to the role).

I don't believe that having two captains means we get double the leadership for the price of one. Jones was a more effective leader on his own, rather than worrying about conflicting messages from Viney who is making a bit of a balls up of the job anyway. I think co-captains negatively effects the unity of a group when things aren't going beautifully.

But Lewis is different. Jones is a great leader, but Lewis has the kind of experience that Jones will sadly never have.

I don't believe that having two captains means we get double the leadership for the price of one. Jones was a more effective leader on his own, rather than worrying about conflicting messages from Viney who is making a bit of a balls up of the job anyway. I think co-captains negatively effects the unity of a group when things aren't going beautifully.

But Lewis is different. Jones is a great leader, but Lewis has the kind of experience that Jones will sadly never have.

To be fair to Viney we can't really judge his leadership like we can his form, it isn't as obvious. Agree on the Lewis bit though.

I reckon they are both the same type of leader , lead by example ,which is not what i think we needed as we already had one in Jones. We are struggling to put 4 quarters together in the same match , two of our so called on field leaders got themselves suspended for basically cheap shots , losing big Maxie hasn't helped ,or Hogan for that matter , though in his case always thought it was just a matter of time before he decked someone. Doesn't excuse last weeks 3rd Quarter load of garbage we dished up . When we get to play on our terms , i think we can beat anyone , its when we don't that we seem to lack the ability to stem the tide . I will reserve judgement on our "Game-plan" for now , as i think its the execution that is the main issue at the moment .
Time will tell if the team has got ahead of itself , or maybe we have got ahead of the team , fallen for all the hype from the media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goody’s judgement thus far:

Gambling probe

Essendon scandal ‘good stuff’ Goodwin

Jack Viney as captain

Recruiting Milkshake on a 4 year contract…

Guess I'm the only one in the world who thinks that Kerstens deliberate free against us was the right call.
I thought it was under the current rules

I do agree with you in regards to the conflicting messages and (Possible) contractions between the two out on the field.

We are really good at this

Yep.
That jumper is mint.
Conversely, Dion Prestia held up the Richmond one on TFS last night referring to some poppies...
Someone should tell their ballbag designer that black flowers on a black background probably isn't going to work that well

Guess I'm the only one in the world who thinks that Kerstens deliberate free against us was the right call.
Nah I completely agree mate.
The umpires made the right call based on how the rule is now framed.
People who make the comment "that wasn't deliberate" are completely misinformed.
The rule ISN'T deliberate anymore it is, 'Have they done all they can to keep it in'.
It's probably a tough one because he kicked it so far in their direction but keeping it in play would be aiming at his goals, not the pocket.
A player kicks it the same distance from the back pocket then he'd get pinged so what's the difference?
Tough on the umpires as the rule is completely grey and near impossible to get 100% right because it's an opinion. Should be more clear cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back