Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I thought Gawn would have taken out the B&F. Perhaps the one missed game and injury affected game cost him.
Clarry had a pretty good year. Definitely not at last years standard but he was a bull all year in the middle. And coming off a double shoulder reco.
I think in a way Clarry was better than we thought he was. Victim of his previous high standards - but I saw a few games that I’m dead sure we wouldn’t have won without him, and a few more where we wouldn’t have gotten as close without him.

I would back him to go better next year without the shoulder surgery. And also hopefully without the conspiracy by his teammates to be flat-footed, out of position etc that can make the best of players look like a spud

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Interested to read May finished 13th in the B+F despite playing 7.5 games.
Seems like he probably made an impact in his few games.
How did you guys assess his season this year?

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I think he did make an impact - albeit there wasn’t too much competition, so not looking like a fool was a level of positive.

He will be very good for us, and has the abilities we need, but only if he can get on the park. We need our high paid players to play more games.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Disappointing overall, mainly through absence. That said, he has good pace for his size, a bit of campaigner about him, and is a beautiful kick. Has the attributes to be our best defender in a pretty handy back 6.

Needs to go on a Max Gawn style shredding program over summer.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I think he did make an impact - albeit there wasn’t too much competition, so not looking like a fool was a level of positive.

He will be very good for us, and has the abilities we need, but only if he can get on the park. We need our high paid players to play more games.
I hear you on the front!
He's a good player. Hope we get a chance to play against you guys with May in the team. Left on good terms as far as I'm aware but be interesting to see how ex team-mates feel each other out!

I'm not as surprised, compared to others, to see Viney Top 5. Top 3 was definitely a surprise, but Top 5 was very much a possibility. In this year's 426, Viney finished 1 point behind 5th place as well as 6 others also withing striking range. Bigger surprises are that, Oliver was winning with 1 game to go let alone tie the award with our runaway winner in Gawn, Salem ended up being apart of the players fighting for the lower Top 10 spots instead of being with Viney and Harmes and, I don't know how the First Year Player Award works, how did Petty beat Hore for the Harold Ball?

Hunt and Jones were on the same level this year and it showed in the results with Jones making the 426 Top and Hunt closing out the Bluey Top 10. Frost getting in the Bluey Top 10 is the biggest difference between us and them though the only reason Hore made the 426 Top 10 was the match-saving goal against Gold Coast. Not saying he didn't deserve it, just saying it was that close.

I would love to see where the votes came from for players, who was the coaches Top 5 each week. Is it possible to get such information?

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Gawn clearly best for us this year. Oliver clearly 2nd best. Salem third. Petracca 4th and Harmes 5th. Doesn't matter who came where after that, as these 5 are the only 5 who can hold their heads up this year.

Oliver was better than most here give him credit for. I don't think he was as good as Gawn though, but the voting system allows for this possibility. Like most, I'm very surprised with Viney coming 3rd. Even Brayshaw got more votes than I thought he would. Desperately need May and Lever to stand up next year and be in the top 5.

I assume the voting system was the same as 2018. To give an indication as to how terrible we were this year ,Jack Viney did finish 3rd but with only 323 votes. In 2018 Hibberd finished 14th with 317 votes. Shows how far everyone dropped last year

What was the vote spread? Far more injuries in 2019 means cores spread across more players I assume.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
464 – Max Gawn, Clayton Oliver

323 – Jack Viney

319 – James Harmes

293 – Christian Petracca

230 – Bayley Fritsch

213 – Christian Salem

210 – Angus Brayshaw

204 – Sam Frost

199 – Jayden Hunt

Weird results. Would have thought Gawn, Salem and Petracca would have been top three this year.

Anyone know how the results are decided? Do the players get any say in it or is it just the coaches?

I stand to be corrected but, 4 coaches give each player a rating out of 10, so a player can receive a maximum of 40 votes.

The voting systems that give each player a chance to poll votes in each game favours players who play a lot of games, it rewards consistency.

Whereas if you only had 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 system with 5 being best and 1 being lowest amongst all 22 players it favours the blokes who play the best games each round.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
"Two-time Crows premiership player Simon Goodwin has also been floated as a contender, but Goodwin is tied to the Demons for the next three seasons and is committed to the club."

Got excited with the first half of this sentence.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I can’t find the complete totals for this year but it goes down to Sam Weideman in 22nd place with 65 .
Maybe the voting was different. Even Max Gawn was 193 votes down on last year

If coaches are voting out of 10, then you'd think last season they might have averaged 6 or 7 per player per game, whereas this year might have been 4 or 5, etc.

for example (max 40 votes per game)

Gawn 464 / 21 games = 22.09 votes per game
Clarry 464 / 22 games = 21.09 votes per game
Hibberd 107 / 19 games = 5.63 votes per game
May 154 / 8 games = 19.25 votes per game
Brayshaw 210 / 22 games = 9.54 votes per game
Salem 213 / 20 games = 10.65 votes per game

Gawn 657 / 25 games = 26.28 votes per game
Clarry 595 / 25 games = 23.8 votes per game
Brayshaw 429 / 22 games = 19.5 votes per game
Salem 403 / 24 games = 16.79 votes per game
Hibberd 317 / 21 = 15.09 votes per game

Can they choose not to give all 40 votes when the whole team was s**thouse?

I think it’s four coaches with 10 votes each per player.

So yes, a player could score 0 for a match as long as all four coaches agree just how shithouse a player was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeesFanTheMan

Team Captain
Feb 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs, NUFC
Screenshot_20191004-145521_Messenger.jpg

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Dont give a flying * what the stats say OMac is a crab. We all knew Frost wasnt a good defender 1on1 but he created something whether good or bad was a flip of a coin. The stats would also say Dangerfield is a way better kick than he is cause a kick over 40m to a contest is classed as an effective kick. We all know by watching him he just kicks it as far as he can without looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back