General MFC Discussion 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been listening to the Lystics AFL podcast. Their last episode is on the COVID-19 and draft etc. they have said some clubs already have 34-35 players contract for next season. Probably makes things hard for those clubs to cut list sizes with no advance knowledge. But yes this is no normal year.

And no way we’d cut Rivers. He is a great prospect. Has what we need with his kicking off half back.

Spargo is 20 years old and the coaches love him, there's no way he's getting cut. People forget how good he was as a tiny 18yo for all of 2018 in a garbage forward line playing out of position. Plenty I'd get rid of before him.

Was reading that Club lists might be reduced to 35 as soon as next year, and figured it'd be interesting to see who I'd delist in that case (and assuming we have draft 2 players minimum, which could include re-drafting these players or players delisted by other clubs). For the sake of this exercise, I'm also not considering contract length - just who I think the most vulnerable/least required are. We currently have 44, so would need to delist 11 for this exercise.

1. Oskar Baker
  2. Austin Bradtke
  3. Kade Chandler
  4. KK
  5. James Jordon
  6. Aaron Nietschke
  7. Braydon Preuss
  8. Trent Rivers
  9. Joel Smith
  10. Corey Wagner
  11. Josh Wagner

Not trying to be macabre, but curious as to other's thoughts.
Aside from some potentially controversial list changes, I'm pretty sure if we're going from 44 to 35, we don't need to cut 11 guys ;)

Although, they (unsurprisingly) haven't updated the team list on the official website to include Bennell ... so we're at 45 currently.

All speculation at the moment, but you'd think some list culls will happen the amount will probably depend on what this season looks like RE revenue.

There is even talk the draft may only be 25-35 picks, so 1 to 2 each. Most clubs make 6-9 list changes a year, so by the nature of only drafting 1-2 players and cutting 6-9 would get you down to 40 at minimum.

Players may be contracted now, but a new CBA could be drawn up. If i was a fringe player i would be nervous even if i was contracted.

Interesting GC currently have 51 on their list.

I’d assume they do it over a couple of years. Maybe down to 40 then 35. Plus surely you could have cat B rookies on top of that. Even with 35 we’d have struggled to field a side at times last year. So AFL need to consider that.

I remember Bate being on the Robbo Show back in the day playing some plainly Xavier Rudd type rubbish on guitar. Seems the kinda bloke who'd grow dreads if his hair wasn't so red.
Matthew Bate now writes new age cookery books under a pseudonym. Didn't know where else to post this. You might have heard me post about Matthew Bate being involved with pyramid schemes at my old work many years ago, or that he more recently posts facebook rants about 5G phone towers. How good.

View attachment 851655
Love the articles on his site about COVID. Right up the tin foil hat alleyway https://seedsofawareness.com.au/coronavirus-the-new-world-order-endgame/

Aside from some potentially controversial list changes, I'm pretty sure if we're going from 44 to 35, we don't need to cut 11 guys ;)

Although, they (unsurprisingly) haven't updated the team list on the official website to include Bennell ... so we're at 45 currently.

You didn't count the 2 I said that we would have to draft in this purely hypothetical scenario!!!

if they do want to switch to a 35 man list next year, and if my reading of the contract status of players is correct, then my eleven players to be cut for 2021 would be;

uncontracted players;
Bradtke
C.Wagner
J.Wagner
Brown
Hunt
Dunkley
Chandler
Jones
Bennell

contracted players;
AVB
KK

that's 10 players less to get it to 35, plus 1 more gets the chop to be replaced at the draft.

if the list is only going to be 35 deep then you cant afford to carry blokes with serious injury concerns who don't play anymore. we might have to find a way to negotiate an end to AVB and KK's contracts. and Bennell shouldn't be offered another contract unless he can string some games together this year, which I doubt will happen.

of the older blokes, i'm sorry Jonesy but it might be time to retire. I would rather we keep Sparrow and Jordon around, than Jones for just 1 more year. we've got Jetta on one more so he stays, and might have to offer Hibberd one more until we're sure Rivers is ready to go.

Hunt is 7 years in and still cant find a permanent spot in the team. time to say goodbye.

Brown shouldn't be offered another year. we should be looking to get games into Jackson and Weideman instead, and he's also behind TMac and Fritsch. we have other options in Petty and Smith that i'd rather keep on the list and who we can throw forward if we have to.

the rest are depth or development players we can afford to cut.

I’d assume they do it over a couple of years. Maybe down to 40 then 35. Plus surely you could have cat B rookies on top of that. Even with 35 we’d have struggled to field a side at times last year. So AFL need to consider that.

It will be determined by how much or how little footy is played this year. If no footy is played then worrying about 35 players on a list will be the least of the AFLs worries.

If we do play footy and the list sizes will be reduced, clubs will have access to top up players when injury lists grow

It will be determined by how much or how little footy is played this year. If no footy is played then worrying about 35 players on a list will be the least of the AFLs worries.

If we do play footy and the list sizes will be reduced, clubs will have access to top up players when injury lists grow

It will be determined by money, which I get is what you're getting out, but to be really explicit...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be determined by money, which I get is what you're getting out, but to be really explicit...

the AFL gets its money from TV rights and bums on seats at the game. If one or both of these things don’t happen we will see a vastly different set up of clubs next year.

Quite glad that we drafted Kossie, at least he's the kind of player you'd wait out a pandemic to see play again even if the gameplan and execution remains shithouse. Not much else to hang hope on, footywise.

Tom morris mentioned on fox footy that clubs are preparing to start round 2 in mid August, players back at the club end of July to start training conventional (weekend to weekend) 16 round season and finals would see a GF played on Boxing Day. The government and league will know more come end of April

Tom morris mentioned on fox footy that clubs are preparing to start round 2 in mid August, players back at the club end of July to start training conventional (weekend to weekend) 16 round season and finals would see a GF played on Boxing Day. The government and league will know more come end of April

A Dees GF win on Boxing Day?

What happens to the Boxing day test in that scenario?

Or will the granny be played at the AFL's new venue of choice...Marvel
Maybe the AFL placate WA/West Coast and let them have the granny at Optus. WCE fans would be happy that they'd get a home GF (and probably flag), everyone else can claim it's got the biggest * in history. Bay 13 would love it.

Although there was the deal for the MCG to host the GF until 2050 or something wasn't there? Surely this would count as a force majeure or something to break that for one year.

What happens to the Boxing day test in that scenario?

Or will the granny be played at the AFL's new venue of choice...Marvel

Footy won’t be played on the G after October 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back