General MFC Discussion 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funnily enough you're correct. You can run around for as long as you want in a 15m diameter circle and never bounce the ball.

That said, Hunt took 16 steps in his run yesterday, at about 2m each. They weren't in a dead straight line, sure, but the travel call was entirely fair.

I love when people get caught for running to far and the commentators count the steps.....as if these blokes at full tilt take precisely 1m steps....unlikely

I love when people get caught for running to far and the commentators count the steps.....as if these blokes at full tilt take precisely 1m steps....unlikely

It's probably the hardest rule to dictate in all world sport. Literally is a vibe thing.
I can envisage one day that coaches will be allowed to challenge a call after the play goes dead. So that hunt goal could be challenged by the coach and technology would rule how far it goes or some futuristic crap like that

Do you get odds on team Brownlow top vote getters yet? Is a monte
I got Oliver for top demons brownlow vote getter in round one at $12.00. The cash out amount at present is as if I had it at $8.00.

I had a sneaky few bucks on him each way for the brownlow itself at $151. I still hold out hope for a top 3 finish

With the too far call, the ump was right.

However, if Hunt ran too far, then Frost ran too far probably 5 times. Have a look at how far Frost runs next time he does a dash then ask yourself how many chip passes that are paid as marks would fit into that run.

It is an entirely gut-feel rule. The gut-feel on the Hunt one was too far.

However, if Hunt ran too far, then Frost ran too far probably 5 times. Have a look at how far Frost runs next time he does a dash then ask yourself how many chip passes that are paid as marks would fit into that run.

Oh yeah frost does 25m half the time but no way an umpire calls him in the back 50.

Hunt definitely ran too far.
You just don't see it called too often these days and on the back of 4 or 5 other stinkers we copped in that quarter, it was tough to cop but in the end was the right decision.
Hunt was the right call but Carlton got every 50/50 that quarter. The one against melksham was so stiff

Hunt was the right call but Carlton got every 50/50 that quarter. The one against melksham was so stiff
Yep correct.
Many of the ones they got weren't necessarily incorrect either, they just hadn't payed them all day which is the issue.
Lack of umpiring consistency in games and then week to week this hear has been fairly poor across the board.

* that was a piss off, Trac was about to stroll to 50 as well and nail one.
Melk literally just stood in the path between Vince and the Carlton bloke, got cleaned up and gave away the free. You should be able to protect your bloke still

Frost's run after Nev spoiled Daisy then chased down Simpson in the last two minutes felt much longer than 15m. Heart in mouth stuff.

Another way to look at it; The goal square is 9m long. How often would you say a player runs two goal square lengths without bouncing? I'd say multiple times every game. It really has to be a long dash, or involve breaking a tackle or two before it's pinged.

**** that was a piss off, Trac was about to stroll to 50 as well and nail one.
Melk literally just stood in the path between Vince and the Carlton bloke, got cleaned up and gave away the free. You should be able to protect your bloke still

I always give our players s**t when they all go up for the mark and our opposition gets it out the back, but after calls like that it's hard to blame them. Melksham did the right thing by staying down and the Carlton bloke had no awareness whatsoever but gets the reward anyway.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/th...s/news-story/f87c6e9023d8da3e76f35ffc1674a358

Article on Fox Sports today talking about the run home for each team. They're predicting we finish 7th, winning 4 of our remaining 7 games. They rate our run home as fourth hardest, having to play 4 top 8 teams, with an average % of 107.

That means beating North, St Kilda, Brisbane and Collingwood. Or sneaking a win against Adelaide, Port or GWS. Definitely achievable.

As an aside, the article suggest we'd play Richmond in wk 1 of finals, guaranteeing our first finals win since 2006

Frost's run after Nev spoiled Daisy then chased down Simpson in the last two minutes felt much longer than 15m. Heart in mouth stuff.

Another way to look at it; The goal square is 9m long. How often would you say a player runs two goal square lengths without bouncing? I'd say multiple times every game. It really has to be a long dash, or involve breaking a tackle or two before it's pinged.

Really should just make the rule 20 metres instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/th...s/news-story/f87c6e9023d8da3e76f35ffc1674a358

Article on Fox Sports today talking about the run home for each team. They're predicting we finish 7th, winning 4 of our remaining 7 games. They rate our run home as fourth hardest, having to play 4 top 8 teams, with an average % of 107.

That means beating North, St Kilda, Brisbane and Collingwood. Or sneaking a win against Adelaide, Port or GWS. Definitely achievable.

As an aside, the article suggest we'd play Richmond in wk 1 of finals, guaranteeing our first finals win since 2006

Chances are we beat Port and GWS but lose to Brisbane and Saints.

Oh absolutely. Frost's gait is probably 2.5m when he's in full flight. That means he gets 7 steps. I mean there's a few times a game where he'll run half of the 50m arc before kicking it.

I think you're right. When I see it paid, it's usually when a player has run a bit, then changed direction as a result of sidestepping someone or something when it gets paid. Would have been a cracking goal though

I'd really rather we didn't have the opportunity to blow that one. Sydney at the SCG please.

I always thought the rule was 15 steps? Because Lewis Jetta ran 40m with 12 steps one time and it didn't get called, and I thought that was fair enough.

I always thought the rule was 15 steps? Because Lewis Jetta ran 40m with 12 steps one time and it didn't get called, and I thought that was fair enough.
It's definitely 15m, inline with the distance for a mark to be paid.

You may be thinking steps because peanut commentators like to count the steps assuming 6'4 athletes only take 1m long strides.

That's ridiculous does Andre De Grasse or Yohan Blake take 100 steps to run 100m? No point counting ffs, and that means someone like Lewis Jetta would need a bounce every 5 steps I reckon.

That's ridiculous does Andre De Grasse or Yohan Blake take 100 steps to run 100m? No point counting ffs, and that means someone like Lewis Jetta would need a bounce every 5 steps I reckon.
Well I reckon Frost needs a bounce every 7 steps when he's at full flight. Umpires struggle to get within 10m of being correct when they pay marks from stationary player to stationary player. How do we expect them to get even close to being right when players are running at full pace.

Also, I'm suprised no commentator has ever realised that at most grounds, you can measure distances by the grass mowing strips. Most of the time they are around ~10m - square is 50m long and there are usually 5 strips within the centre square. Of course, this is pretty hard to see on the ground so I don't expect umpires to use it, but it's pretty easy either watching from the stands or on tv to judge them pretty accurately.

Last edited:
Well I reckon Frost needs a bounce every 7 steps when he's at full flight. Umpires struggle to get within 10m of being correct when they pay marks from stationary player to stationary player. How do we expect them to get even close to being right when players are running at full pace.

Also, I'm suprised no commentator has ever realised that at most grounds, you can measure distances by the grass mowing strips. Most of the time they are around 9-10m - square is 45m long and there are usually 5 strips within the centre square. Of course, this is pretty hard to see on the ground so I don't expect umpires to use it, but it's pretty easy either watching from the stands or on tv to judge them pretty accurately.
Oh God. Gerard Healy mentions it all right. Every every time...

Also, I'm suprised no commentator has ever realised that at most grounds, you can measure distances by the grass mowing strips. Most of the time they are around 9-10m - square is 45m long and there are usually 5 strips within the centre square. Of course, this is pretty hard to see on the ground so I don't expect umpires to use it, but it's pretty easy either watching from the stands or on tv to judge them pretty accurately.
The square is 50m ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back