General MFC Discussion 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bit early for this, but hopefully it doesn't burn us to look back and see the guy who went at pick seven would have been perfect.
Yep. A bit like the Dogs trading Griffen and pick 7 or whatever to GWS to get Boyd on $1M per season when they could have drafted Peter Wright that year, who’s a significantly better forward.

In 30 years, I think I’ll still be ******* pissed about the Neeld saga.

How on earth did this guy operate with such an amazing reputation at Collingwood only to come to us and act like such a ******* dickhead?

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Yep. A bit like the Dogs trading Griffen and pick 7 or whatever to GWS to get Boyd on $1M per season when they could have drafted Peter Wright that year, who’s a significantly better forward.

Dogs won a flag and Boyd was just about the best player on the ground. Trade won.

Dogs won a flag and Boyd was just about the best player on the ground. Trade won.
They got extremely lucky that he played one good game that day to justify the trade because it was a colossal failure in every other way. If that game had been fairly umpired the result would have been different no matter how well Boyd played.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
They got extremely lucky that he played one good game that day to justify the trade because it was a colossal failure in every other way. If that game had been fairly umpired the result would have been different no matter how well Boyd played.

Ifs and buts.......I wouldn’t care if I was a dogs supporter if boyd was delisted at the end of the year. He just about single handidly won the game for them. The trade was completely justified because they won the premiership

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC
Ifs and buts.......I wouldn’t care if I was a dogs supporter if boyd was delisted at the end of the year. He just about single handidly won the game for them. The trade was completely justified because they won the premiership
Cmon man. That's rubbish.

Boyd in absolutely no way had any real hand in getting them there. I know because I watched him at Whitten Oval for most of the year being decidedly average in the VFL.

To say his finals series was a miraculous alignment of stars, deities and aurora would be an understatement.

This was a guy on a million a year or thereabouts playing, and struggling, in the twos. And that's when he was fit and not injured or battling mental conditions.

They in no way came close to winning that trade all things considered. This BS argument of 'Oh if it gets us a flag blah blah' is ridiculous. How have the dogs gone since? They got an armchair ride the whole year paying an AFL-approved game style and rode on the back of some of the most spectacularly fortunate umloring for most of the year. And good on em. They were in the right place at the right time and battled injuries too.

Since then though, Boyd has barely made it past the white line and the dogs havent looked close to a top 8 side let alone contenders.

I desire way more than one flag. I want a dynasty, where our club builds upon smart decisions and savvy tactics on and off the field to bring success. How many other options were overlooked by paying one untested GW$ prospect that sum of money over that long a contract? Flag or not, no way they came out on top, IMO.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Cmon man. That's rubbish.

Boyd in absolutely no way had any real hand in getting them there. I know because I watched him at Whitten Oval for most of the year being decidedly average in the VFL.

To say his finals series was a miraculous alignment of stars, deities and aurora would be an understatement.

This was a guy on a million a year or thereabouts playing, and struggling, in the twos. And that's when he was fit and not injured or battling mental conditions.

They in no way came close to winning that trade all things considered. This BS argument of 'Oh if it gets us a flag blah blah' is ridiculous. How have the dogs gone since? They got an armchair ride the whole year paying an AFL-approved game style and rode on the back of some of the most spectacularly fortunate umloring for most of the year. And good on em. They were in the right place at the right time and battled injuries too.

Since then though, Boyd has barely made it past the white line and the dogs havent looked close to a top 8 side let alone contenders.

I desire way more than one flag. I want a dynasty, where our club builds upon smart decisions and savvy tactics on and off the field to bring success. How many other options were overlooked by paying one untested GW$ prospect that sum of money over that long a contract? Flag or not, no way they came out on top, IMO.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The ultimate is to win a premiership, win one before you create a dynasty. On grand final day he was arguably the best player on the ground.

I didn’t say he has played any good footy either side, take out the premiership and it’s a complete fail. Mind you the only real thing the trade has cost the doggies is money.

Fact is he was in the top 2 players on the ground the day they won the flag so the trade paid off. Just for that one day. It’s to simple to say success is measured by premierships alone but for a side who has won one flag in their history that trade was worth every cent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I was at that GF and Boyd ******* killed it when the game was on the line worth every cent. I know i wouldnt give a **** if club paid $7m to a player to win a flag

Its great that they won the flag, and its already pointed out that the planets had to align for them to win it, but being happy that your club has shelled out effectively an entire contract for one game and one Premiership is pretty silly. If that's the return on your buck, then the one fluke is all they're going to get out of that generation of players because someone getting paid millions to be rubbish doesn't build much of a team culture.

Looking at that trade, it ended up being Boyd for Griffen and Marchbank, so neither side has really come out of that smiling. Griffen was semi-permanently broken and would have played a handful of decent games before retiring, Marchbank looked decent and then left (presumably for not much as is GWS' trading fancy), so GWS got diddley squat out of it. The Dogs went out and hunted down another young key forward because Boyd hasn't been consistently good enough at either rucking or playing as a forward to hold his spot. Your first round pick and an important if aging midfielder is a tall price to pay for a backup ruck / forward. On that evidence though, I guess you would say the Dogs won as at least they still have their player, but Tom Boyd and his agent are the real winners out of this trade.

I know we're all supposed to be ecstatic if we win a Premiership, but a handful of good games in five years doesn't make trading for a player "worth it". It paid off, but its still a poor return for what they gave up / are paying Boyd and that contract hamstrings the Dogs from chasing any talent during free agency. We all want to win flags, but you also want to build a team culture / structure that is capable of competing for and winning many flags, and that's difficult to do when some pumpkin is sitting around on a million a year for seven years.

Don't know where to put this, but the overall behaviour of spectators over the last year has dropped a bit imo. And we are no exception with an incident yesterday with a disabled Hawks fan and a brawl at Kadinia Park last season (Pretty sure we had something at the MCG last season too but i can't remember)

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Don't know where to put this, but the overall behaviour of spectators over the last year has dropped a bit imo. And we are no exception with an incident yesterday with a disabled Hawks fan and a brawl at Kadinia Park last season (Pretty sure we had something at the MCG last season too but i can't remember)

Yep i came to write this, * the low life piece of s**t that decided to not only physically but also verbally assulted a person with a disability, what a real weak campaigner.

I get frustrated at the football and i get lippy with some opposition supporters but never would i get up and start a fight over it, some people really can't control their emotions in a social situation watching a competitive sport

I hope the club finds this prick and bans him not just for a year or two but for life.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yep i came to write this, **** the low life piece of **** that decided to not only physically but also verbally assulted a person with a disability, what a real weak campaigner.

I get frustrated at the football and i get lippy with some opposition supporters but never would i get up and start a fight over it, some people really can't control their emotions in a social situation watching a competitive sport

I hope the club finds this prick and bans him not just for a year or two but for life.
Im wacking a campaigner if they smack a drink out my hands.

campaigner should not only be banned but be persecuted hard from the law (we know this unfortunatly wont happen though).

Lucky I amlevel 2a in the reserved Melbourne area. We only turn on each other (verbally not physically)

Mouthy pest got knocked over but not hurt in any way by a drunk after hitting his drink out of his hand. It's only news because it was caught on someone's phone and he's got some kind of mild disability. Slow news day.
I suspected it wasn’t an unprovoked bashing of a a disabled hawks fan, but can I ask how you seem to know the details? Did you witness?

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I suspected it wasn’t an unprovoked bashing of a a disabled hawks fan, but can I ask how you seem to know the details? Did you witness?
Its in the video thats plastered everywhere. Ya not actually surprised the media skipped that part and just shared the disabled bashing part

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I know someone that did see it, it's all on video though. The drink knocking part wasn't on the first viral video but was on the seven news bit. The Hawks fan is a regular on something called HawksfanTV which is a fan facebook weekly thing straight after the game. He talked for a couple of minutes about the game and didn't mention getting hit and didn't look marked up. The guy is a well known mouthy instigator, fair chance it's part of whatever learning issue he has. The guy needs supervision, BG32 found these:

The guy has probably been whacked a dozen times at the footy for getting mouthy with drunks. This one got caught on video so it's good for news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back