General MFC Discussion 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Bit of chatter on DL that the club is trying to get Yze to take the Jennings role.
It’s potentially one of those Caracella dreamboat scenarios. The fact he we was an ex-Demon appeals to the ‘back our boys’ nuffy element, the probability that he is alarmingly competent at his job and has IP from the best in the business appeals to those who possess higher order thinking.

It’s potentially one of those Caracella dreamboat scenarios. The fact he we was an ex-Demon appeals to the ‘back our boys’ nuffy element, the probability that he is alarmingly competent at his job and has IP from the best in the business appeals to those who possess higher order thinking.
Never underestimate the potential of a return to the boy's club to undermine any competence one might have.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Hey guys,

I come in peace. Just had a quick question - why was Jones offered another contract?

By all accounts, looks like he's passed it and will be 32 next year. Has endured a lot of down times, so it's understandable why he'd want to see if he could leave on a good note...but why has the club offered him another year? Is it sentimentality? Just seems odd given your issue with inside mids and the plethora of them you have. Would think he'd be the viable candidate to move on, allowing Petracca, Viney, Brayshaw and Oliver to be your on ball mix with Salem and (possibly) Ed Langdon as your outside run?

Any thoughts?

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hey guys,

I come in peace. Just had a quick question - why was Jones offered another contract?

By all accounts, looks like he's passed it and will be 32 next year. Has endured a lot of down times, so it's understandable why he'd want to see if he could leave on a good note...but why has the club offered him another year? Is it sentimentality? Just seems odd given your issue with inside mids and the plethora of them you have. Would think he'd be the viable candidate to move on, allowing Petracca, Viney, Brayshaw and Oliver to be your on ball mix with Salem and (possibly) Ed Langdon as your outside run?

Any thoughts?

We've got a fair bit of s**t to delist before we'd cut him, and I reckon he'll see time at VFL level next year + will lose the captaincy.

Hey guys,

Any thoughts?
I don't know if you're noticed but we are once again at rock bottom. Nothing makes sense.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Hey guys,

Any thoughts?
If Jones was a regular player he would probably be done, however you wouldn't understand being a cats fan but he held our club together on his own for a few years when we were the worst club of the modern era. Whilst everyone else was s**t he was burrowing into packs and never giving up. He's honestly given the club more than they have given him and I'm more than comfortable with him getting a year or 2 more than his footy deserves to repay what he gave us. He's not a true AFL champion but he's a Melbourne champion and he absolutely deserves 300 games

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
If Jones was a regular player he would probably be done, however you wouldn't understand being a cats fan but he held our club together on his own for a few years when we were the worst club of the modern era. Whilst everyone else was s**t he was burrowing into packs and never giving up. He's honestly given the club more than they have given him and I'm more than comfortable with him getting a year or 2 more than his footy deserves to repay what he gave us. He's not a true AFL champion but he's a Melbourne champion and he absolutely deserves 300 games

Nah I used to watch him. Poor bast*rd was around during 'that' game in 2011, and is the only one left now. Truly bleeds Melbourne, and hopefully you guys can at least make finals again next year to make that period worth a bit more.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Those of us with Godlike deductive powers realize that he is the small forward we've been looking for after all this time. I always wanted him to get to 300 games, and now he will.

We need Jones around for one more year to really enforce standards. Say what you will about his performance, his work ethic is better than anyone else. We won’t see Jordan Lewis around the club again so he’s needed to really drive this home.

Viney is very much the leader in the gym and rules his iron kingdom very strictly and efficiently. People ask why Viney is still captain, well he is incredibly respected for his leadership in the gym.

Jones is the preseason and training leader. His body is dragging him back a bit now, but he was a beacon for the younger kids 3-4 years ago. He will help get the newer kids (and more importantly May) to learn a professional routine.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Viney is very much the leader in the gym and rules his iron kingdom very strictly and efficiently. People ask why Viney is still captain, well he is incredibly respected for his leadership in the gym.
See, this sounds like it should be a good thing, and I know I'm supposed to like it, but for some reason it annoys the sh!t out of me - I don't even know why. ..

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
See, this sounds like it should be a good thing, and I know I'm supposed to like it, but for some reason it annoys the sh!t out of me - I don't even know why. ..
I know why I’m bothered by it. Anyone with the tag “very much the leader in the gym” would have me backing away rapidly.

Hey guys,

Any thoughts?
Who would you get rid of:
The heart and soul of the club , OR Josh Wagner

fu** should of seen how happy i was that the 'signed ANZAC day guernsey' the club sent me was non other than Josh Wagners. Like fu** me bin the ******* thing or give it to his family no campaigner wants it
Just sell it to Cannon82 - he'd drop some serious coin for a memento like that.

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Couple of things i want to get off my chest while i chuck a sickie from work:

Ive said elsewhere that the only thing im excited about for Melbourne next year is Darren Burgess coming in. I still maintain this belief. I like the Alan Richardson appointment, but see it as more of a ship steadier for Goodwin, and someone who can hit him with some home truths about how easy it was to dismantle his gameplan last year. But Richo isnt going to sell memberships (unless this is part of his role? - i dont know, mahones hasnt defined this yet).

Getting Adem Yze to the club would however, get me excited. Not only would it be great to get a favorite son back into the fold, but its finally getting an assistant who has served under Clarkson that to me is what we have been crying out for. And if (when) Goody gets the arse, id much rather see the ooze step in and take the reigns then Richo, who i see as better suited to a senior assistant role anyway.

So a gun new fitness chief, and favorite son assistant coach goes a bit towards replenishing the optimism stocks. But what supporters ultimately see is not the behind the scenes stuff but its out on the field on gameday. We need a new player we can get hyped to see run around in red and blue for the first time - someone we can imprint our unrealistic hopes and dreams onto.
Langdon is a serviceable player and fills a hole in our list but no ones going to get his number on their back. Ive made my feelings known on Noah Anderson, i think he is a future star of the comp and it burns me knowing that he will be out of our reach once the AFL ultimately bury the lead just before the first final, announcing GC will get priority pick 2. So * you in advance, AFL.

So i dont know where that leaves us with the draft/ trade period, but if we can work out some sweetheart deal with GWS for two top ten picks, or if we can poach Ben King out of GC, it might cheer me up. Its been a while since we've had someone to build hype around in the preseason with no top ten picks for a few years and i dont include Lever or May cause no one gets excited for a backman.

Finally, ive purposefully left off the senior coach in my list of things we need to go right to get excited for in 2020. Thats cause i believe he is a milk dud, and id actually be more excited for next year if we ****ed him off right now.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
^Great post except heaping a whole lot of excitement/hype on a recruit or 18 year old has simply never worked for the dees. How many times do we need to be burned? You win a flag with a great team that plays for each other, not 1 extra sexy player. I'd love to see the team start to play for each other again and stand up for each other, although I understand the appeal of ogling a new gun player over the preseason.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
What has been the most disappointing for me this year ,aside from losing , has been the lack of "fly the flag" . I don't mean just randomly belt someone , but to stand up for a team-mate . Round 1 when Gawn was being smashed into by half the Port team , where was his team mates ? Why weren't they running into Port players as well ?. ******* pathetic!! . This went on for the whole season too , although funny enough the players that did make an effort to "Fly the flag" were blokes like Petty and the Wagners . Give me a team of players playing for their lives , not a bunch of pretty boys playing for themselves .
I also wish one of those so called journalists would have asked Goodwin just what he has learnt from this season , because to take a "Destination" club to second bottom in one season deserves far more scrutiny that he has been able to avoid.

booshboy

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
What has been the most disappointing for me this year ,aside from losing , has been the lack of "fly the flag" . I don't mean just randomly belt someone , but to stand up for a team-mate . Round 1 when Gawn was being smashed into by half the Port team , where was his team mates ? Why weren't they running into Port players as well ?. ******* pathetic!! . This went on for the whole season too , although funny enough the players that did make an effort to "Fly the flag" were blokes like Petty and the Wagners . Give me a team of players playing for their lives , not a bunch of pretty boys playing for themselves .
I also wish one of those so called journalists would have asked Goodwin just what he has learnt from this season , because to take a "Destination" club to second bottom in one season deserves far more scrutiny that he has been able to avoid.
don't think I saw anyone lay a tackle with any venom or purpose in it all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back