General MFC Discussion 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes me think of my bizarro sister. She gets some kind of twisted pleasure from going to QV Market when in Melbourne and crappy 2$ shops elsewhere. Her goal is to pick up misspelled cheap copy sports memorabilia and give it to random family members as some kind of quirky Christmas present. I have socks from Melbourn Football Club, some kind of weird MFC poster (lots of lurid red and blue, with a picture of Travis Cloake for some reason) and a kind of afl ladder thing where you can move the team magnets each week so long as you can accept wins from colingwood, Hawthon and saint Gilda. Also the Port Adelaide magnet is missing from the pristine set, but that could be a deliberate who cares type of omission?

Not sure if anyone listened to the Dee Brief Podcast this week. So this info is credited to the boys who run it. Following is not word for word but you’ll get the gist.

Apparently Jones has said that the players really rate Omac. Sounded a bit like he had a few issues this year. Possibly injury.

Burgess has made the following observations.

1 - He rates Simon Goodwin as a coach.

2 - He didn’t rate the assistants.

3 - The leadership was not good.

4 - Brayshaw Clarry and Petracca are fat.

Sounds like he’s really wanting to get the boys in the right shape. And he’ll have access to them all from day one I’d think from the looks of it.

As I Said this was not word for word but listened yesterday so hopefully I have it all right.

Interesting.

I'm a little suss on some of that though - there's just so much 'brand management, PR etc' going on in the AFL it's hard to work out what's the reliable and what isn't. For example, of course he's going to back Goodwin in (when he's still contracted for many more years) and blame the outgoing assistants. Also, of course the leadership was poor (Jones has stood down) and our young, yet talented, midfielders weren't fit enough (after having a horrible pre-season marred by injuries).

It also allows him to come in and be the key to our success (by unlocking the potential of these unfit yet talented players). I'd like someone from within the club answer some of the tougher questions about our gameplan and our inability to defend the MCG. I guess they kind of mentioned this when they went out and recruited two hard running wings from other clubs. Moreover, we already knew the club rates OMAC - I don't think that's ever been in doubt, as they play him all the bloody time even when dreadfully out of form.

How are they going about addressing something as illusive as 'leadership', though? I mean, making Gawn captain won't really do much to change anything. He was already playing out of his skin this year and leading from the front. I think the only thing we can really hope for is some internal maturing of our talented young players (With perhaps Clarry or Brayshaw becoming a real mature leader of the midfield) and perhaps a return to form for Viney. May and Lever playing 22 games together in the backline would be huge for our structure/organisation down back as well. Just have to hope that a good pre-season will glue the club together again after some soul-searching - but this is Melbourne and we have squandered equally as talented lists before.

The proof will be in the pudding though and I do have a weird kind of confidence in the club still. If we start slowly in 2020 though, I'll be ready to microwave the membership.

I still find it staggering that Trac has been left in the condition he’s in for a few years now. He is a superb talent but has been playing overweight (For an elite athlete) for a fair while.
Tracs weight would be fine if he used it to advantage more. He only just started shrugging tackles this year.

Look at Martin though and Trac could shed muscle and still be a power athlete

I still find it staggering that Trac has been left in the condition he’s in for a few years now. He is a superb talent but has been playing overweight (For an elite athlete) for a fair while.
The weight is in his bottom half, and what makes him so hard to bring to ground. If he loses some of that from dropping some weight, it's a bit of robbing Peter to pay Paul

If he has midfield aspirations as reported you would think he has to lean up, he’s listed at 186cm 96 kg needs to drop 4 or 5 kgs.
As a comparison Dusty Martin is listed at 187 and 92

If he has midfield aspirations as reported you would think he has to lean up, he’s listed at 186cm 96 kg needs to drop 4 or 5 kgs.
As a comparison Dusty Martin is listed at 187 and 92

Yeah, agreed. Need him to run out and get involved in games more - so be it if he can't shimmy out of a few tackles.

Yeah, agreed. Need him to run out and get involved in games more - so be it if he can't shimmy out of a few tackles.
Yep much prefer he runs away from tackles with footy in hand 25 + times a game than break 1 maybe 2, Dusty Martin is renowned as a tackle breaker but he wins games by being a ball winner and finisher over whole games, and is the quintessential lean endurance athlete. I’m not sure Trac can get to that level but I’d take 85% and I believe he needs to slim down to do it

Yep much prefer he runs away from tackles with footy in hand 25 + times a game than break 1 maybe 2, Dusty Martin is renowned as a tackle breaker but he wins games by being a ball winner and finisher over whole games, and is the quintessential lean endurance athlete. I’m not sure Trac can get to that level but I’d take 85% and I believe he needs to slim down to do it
Good point, well made.

Salads all summer Trac!

Good point, well made.

Salads all summer Trac!

Someone needs to send Mumma Petracca the memo. No pasta. The word for no in Italian is no.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone needs to send Mumma Petracca the memo. No pasta. The word for no in Italian is no.

Oh yeah. Try and get between an Italian and their cuisine. They'll send their mafiosi after you and you'll be sleeping with the fishes in a rolled up carpet.

You don't like tha pasta? Never forghetti! You'll rest in spaghetti!

Then you have headline: Cannon82(or whoever) Unfortunately Pastaway. Apparently he had too much penne in the guts :p:spaghetti:

Last edited:
Fat was an interesting description. As you see them post game or with no top on at training and they don’t seem to be carrying weight. I assume though fat in terms of an elite fitness coach description is far different from the average bloke.

I agree about Trac. Needs to shed 5kgs at least. Burgess will have these guys fixed up fitness wise. Just got to get the game plan right.

Should we be starting preseason this week?
Pretty sure it’s 8 weeks off for 1-4 year players, 10 for 4+ years. This week is actually 9 weeks since round 23, but it may be 8 weeks since the prefinals bye.

Should we be starting preseason this week?
Pretty sure it’s 8 weeks off for 1-4 year players, 10 for 4+ years. This week is actually 9 weeks since round 23, but it may be 8 weeks since the prefinals bye.
something something our players have had the whole year off

something something our players have had the whole year off

Bastard. I was going to say we were supposed to start pre-season at about round 14 or 15 this year.

I think they have one more week off. Then younger players back first week of November. Then the older players back 2 weeks later. I’m expecting a few of the older lot to start first week of November though.

I think they have one more week off. Then younger players back first week of November. Then the older players back 2 weeks later. I’m expecting a few of the older lot to start first week of November though.

Really? Then what were they doing between Rnds 1-23 this year?

I did just find something that basically says the teams that finished 7th-18th come back at the same time, so yeah, one more week.

Obviously it can’t be forced, but I’d be thoroughly disappointed if the bulk of the 5+ year players weren’t back day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back