Not open for further replies.

Xhoquelin

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Charlotte Hornets
So if Jordon is just about as good as Sparrow, it's pretty likely both could be AFL level mids next year.

Is that the end for Gus and Harmes in the midfield? I feel like Trac can do what Gussy does inside anyway, spread from stoppages and gain metres, and Gussy is just so sloppy at ground level.

Regardless, I feel like we have to, from next season, start pushing Oliver and Viney to learn new roles. If those guys could play anywhere but centre circle Gussy would still get plenty of centre bounces this year.

Harmesy has basically been pushed out of the guts, and it makes sense; his ground level ability simply isn't on the level of Trac/Vines/Clarry. Fingers crossed Harmes can figure it out down back, we could use a good medium defender there.

I am sure Oliver can play a decent medium forward role, his ground level ability + pressure would help us out but he's also a decent mark IIRC.

Vines doesn't have the worst goal sense(kicked a few from F50 stoppages), and just gives us manic pressure there too. Something like Atkins for the Cats.

Tagging wise we can give Sparrow/Jordon those roles for their first few years anyway.

We don't really lack medium forwards, but at the same time outside of Hannan/Melksham(and he's out of form)/Kozzy our forward options aren't great. If Clarry could kick 25 a year, we really don't need Fritsch(Trac is better as a forward too I reckon). Clarry/Vines are major pressure upgrades on Fritsch and Bennell too.

Or do we just do what the Cats did and force Sparrow/Jordon to learn how to play pressure forward(Atkins/Parfitt/Fogarty etc, Parfitt in particular is rubbish up forward) or half back to break into the side?

Xhoquelin

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Charlotte Hornets
I honestly think Sparrow is a must. Gotta find a role for him somewhere. Replacing Vanders makes the most sense.
Vanders when on is better around the ground than Sparrow IMO. Sparrow's ball use isn't there, I thinkhe's adjusting to the game speed. Vanders hasn't really got back to speed though but before his latest injury I thought he was playing good footy.

But that's the thing; Sparrow can win the footy. Got a great AFL body. But inside I also think him and Viney will struggle together without a pre season to gel. Vines Clarry and Trac have only just started to play off each other; last year and 2020 R1 Vines and Clarry were still going for the same footy.

Want to see Clarry play 30% forward next year minimum.

Does anyone seriously believe we don't have a top 6 list though...I guarantee Tommy would be playing week in week out for Carlton, Essendon or Adelaide.

Last edited:

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
So our full fixture is looking like the following

1 x Alice Springs
1 x Perth
2 x Adelaide
2 x Cairns
2 x Sydney
3 x Victoria
6 X South East Qland

Add in no planned bye
A game getting cancelled a day out
A game v an opponent and the venue getting changed 3 days out

To be fair if we end up playing finals it is going to be a pretty decent effort considering the fu** around we have had. i know all teams have been off put a bit this year but ours looks brutal

1 x Perth which was round 1 is a plus though, just wish we had an extra couple of games in Adelaide, we love that ground

Vanders when on is better around the ground than Sparrow IMO. Sparrow's ball use isn't there, I thinkhe's adjusting to the game speed. Vanders hasn't really got back to speed though but before his latest injury I thought he was playing good footy.

But that's the thing; Sparrow can win the footy. Got a great AFL body. But inside I also think him and Viney will struggle together without a pre season to gel. Vines Clarry and Trac have only just started to play off each other; last year and 2020 R1 Vines and Clarry were still going for the same footy.

Want to see Clarry play 30% forward next year minimum.

Does anyone seriously believe we don't have a top 6 list though...I guarantee Tommy would be playing week in week out for Carlton, Essendon or Adelaide.

I think Sparrow's ball use has been perfectly fine since coming into the side. Hasn't got a damaging foot by any means but knows his limitations by foot, smart with it.

Vanders certainly no better than him. Even at his best. He kicks the ball further, but that means very little in the grand scheme of things.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
It should be illegal to have sh*t opinions on Lever my god it’s like people don’t watch the games. They both criticise and praise the wrong things and you can tell they haven’t been following closely bc it’s all group think
I support this being signed into law.

Mind you I’ve spent years wishing execution for anyone criticising Weedy for anything whatsoever on abstract reasons, which is probably why parliament can do without me

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
True, we're probably fit enough to deal with the extra heat, but we're gonna struggle 100% with the ball. (not much of a change though to our normal skills)
I would like to compliment you on some epically sharp photoshop work in your avatar there

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
We literally had 1 true home game. I can't see why we can't set up a home ground in Alice? It's as close as we're gonna get. Really feels like we've been bent over by the AFL this season. We had a great draw initially as well this year.

give us all our games at Adelaide oval

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

I like seeing Goody get angry.

But jeepers. This seems overblown and typical of us after beating the bottom 2 teams! Cmon. Maybe release something like this if we make finals, but we're still yet to beat a decent side. But hey let's keep celebrating mediocrity. This guarantees we'll now lose against the Pies..

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne

But jeepers. This seems overblown and typical of us after beating the bottom 2 teams! Cmon. Maybe release something like this if we make finals, but we're still yet to beat a decent side. But hey let's keep celebrating mediocrity. This guarantees we'll now lose against the Pies..
More like demons social media team noticed social media Groups describing Goodwin as a dull cyborg , and release all this stuff .

Last edited:

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
So our full fixture is looking like the following

1 x Alice Springs
1 x Perth
2 x Adelaide
2 x Cairns
2 x Sydney
3 x Victoria
6 X South East Qland

Add in no planned bye
A game getting cancelled a day out
A game v an opponent and the venue getting changed 3 days out

To be fair if we end up playing finals it is going to be a pretty decent effort considering the fu** around we have had. i know all teams have been off put a bit this year but ours looks brutal
The no bye is the one that’s going to have to be managed carefully. Especially after the current block of games.

I honestly think Sparrow is a must. Gotta find a role for him somewhere. Replacing Vanders makes the most sense.
Why? What exactly has he shown to make him a lock?

Draw tonight is a terrible result for us. Keeps both Essendon and GC in the hunt and it neuters our percentage advantage over both.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Draw tonight is a terrible result for us. Keeps both Essendon and GC in the hunt and it neuters our percentage advantage over both.
Meh, if we can't find a way to get above an ordinary Bombers team from here, then we don't deserve to get close to finals. They arent very good.

Why? What exactly has he shown to make him a lock?

Coz he can't be any worse at playing out of position than a lot of the players we have in our team already.

I'd rather persist with him and see where it takes us than continue down the same old player line.

In case you didn't notice, we've rolled over the General Discussion thread from v2.0, to Part III. Have at it!
I've always wondered why this happens. Do threads have a post limit, or is it just a time thing for these threads specifically?

I don’t understand why we picked ANB or why he’s still on the list. We’ve literally never played him in the midfield after he was touted as a possible top 20 pick as a junior midfielder (but for some reason always dominates there in the VFL), and his skills are below average. Likeable bloke, love his pressure, but he’s so inconsistent as a forward because he has NFI idea where to run when the ball is in dispute. If he goes to another club and somehow becomes an inside mid with a point of difference to ours I’m going to spew. God I wish we’d taken Daniel with that pick or even Lonie if we wanted someone to play forward so I didn’t have to think about ANB. Why take three inside mids in one draft when you already have Viney, Tyson and Jones in his prime? The MFC way started early.

anyway, on that, Sparrow already looks better out of position than ANB already has so that’s nice

Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers,Chelsea F.C.
Sparrow and Rivers are surely a future fixture for the club

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne

Honestly, the next inspiring video montage I want to see from the MFC is the story of our first premiership since 1964 - and not a moment sooner. This crap is so typical of how satisfied we are with very mild accomplishments. It's the reason we haven't climbed to the top again. It's not the Norm Smith curse, it's the lack of hunger curse. We had a bit of it in the 80's, 90's and 2000's, but not enough since. It's like we think time just owes us another flag just for sticking around. I think this kind of media BS is completely counterproductive to what our aims should be. It's the metaphorical equivalent of having your head in the clouds, dreaming of rainbows and unicorns, when there is a trench to be dug and a shovel in your hand. We should lay off this BS and let our playing do the talking.

Last edited:
Honestly, I the next inspiring video montage I want to see from the MFC is the story of our first premiership since 1964 - and not a moment sooner. This crap is so typical of how satisfied we are with very mild accomplishments. It's the reason we haven't climbed to the top again. It's not the Norm Smith curse, it's the lack of hunger curse. We had a bit of it in the 80's, 90's and 2000's, but not enough since. It's like we think time just owes us another flag just for sticking around. I think this kind of media BS is completely counterproductive to what our aims should be. It's the metaphorical equivalent of having your head in the clouds, dreaming of rainbows and unicorns, when there is a trench to be dug and a shovel in your hand. We should lay off this BS and let our playing do the talking.
Lol, ridiculous. It's a promo vid the media team made to try and build hope amongst the supporter base. Don't take it so seriously. it's not like Goodwin edited this together on the plane ride home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back