- May 19, 2014
- AFL Club
- Other Teams
I listed to it on my run today, I get that he cannot come out and say "yeah we f’ed up on that long contract, and the boys just dont pay attention" but a fair bit of what he spoke about rang some alarm bells for me, or at least indicated he does not grasp the severity of the situationHaving listened to it I don’t think your hopes were fulfilled.
Broad brush strokes:
* Very disappointed with the last two games/season to date. Understands the frustrations of fans.
* While accepting that fans are angry he believes that some of the feedback is over the top and is a culmination of a 56 year drought/bad past experiences under different management.
* The best way to start building a healthy club is through on field performance. He gets frustrated at the skill errors/lapses from the playing group.
* Didn’t really go into specifics but stated we are well on track to securing a permanent home base/training ground in what he calls ‘the MCG precinct’.
* The whole AFL industry has been smashed by COVID. The soft cap for football departments will reduce from $9.5m to $6.5m. The upshot is that we are not having to go to the AFL/banks for financial support meaning further carnage to FD spend.
* Used a fair bit of corporate speak when talking about the football club’s mission and why we hired/re-signed Goodwin. These parts were pretty standard dull rhetoric.
* Strongly indicated that Goodwin will be coach next year without giving a rock solid guarantee. Quote: “I don’t engage in hypotheticals” responding to a question about what happens if we lose the last two.
-> Didn't seem to acknowledge the lack of effort, or the on consistency of effort and put it down to concentration
-> Indicated several times our approach and game plan is sound
-> Spoke about his role as being to ensure we have the best non player talent, and yet we surround goody with unproven (or proven to be very poor) assistants
Nothing that made me think we are prepared to course correct, more like we are on the right course and just need to tune the engines. I think we are off course, with a leaky boat and a drunk captain heading into a hurricane
EDIT: Yes I realize this is one of the times I'm being very pessimistic