Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Book ya grand final tickets campaigners:

Seven of the 12 teams to have started a season with 10 consecutive wins have gone on to win the premiership.Curiously, two of those seven sides have been the Dees – and they just happen to have resulted in back-to-back flags.

The percentage of teams that qualify for the Grand Final is even higher, with 10 of the 12 teams making the season decider.

Unfortunately for St Kilda fans, the Saints have twice recorded a 10-0 start to the year (in 2004 and 2009) and have not won a flag at the end of the year, the only team to have that dispiriting record.

Seven of the 12 teams to have started a season with 10 consecutive wins have gone on to win the premiership.Curiously, two of those seven sides have been the Dees – and they just happen to have resulted in back-to-back flags.

The percentage of teams that qualify for the Grand Final is even higher, with 10 of the 12 teams making the season decider.

Unfortunately for St Kilda fans, the Saints have twice recorded a 10-0 start to the year (in 2004 and 2009) and have not won a flag at the end of the year, the only team to have that dispiriting record.

Lmao sucked in Saints.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lmao sucked in Saints.
I remember 04 felt like saints had a really soft draw, I reckon Melbourne actually were the first team to knock them off, pretty easily as well.

Okay looking at the history books Sydney beat saints in round 11 2004. Melbourne beat Fremantle when Peter Vardy went ballistic in torrential rain. Melbourne didn't play saints until round 15.

Last edited:

jikost

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2003
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
I remember 04 felt like saints had a really soft draw, I reckon Melbourne actually were the first team to knock them off, pretty easily as well.

Okay looking at the history books Sydney beat saints in round 11 2004. Melbourne beat Fremantle when Peter Vardy went ballistic in torrential rain. Melbourne didn't play saints until round 15.
Saints of 04 were a bit like the Dogs of 21/22 in that they would bully the crap teams at Docklands all year, but struggled elsewhere when the conditions didn't suit. In fact, they won 13 from 13 at Docklands that year, and only won 4 from 12 at other venues.

I remember that game in round 15 because Melbourne won by like 10 goals, but every time the Saints went inside 50 a young Nick Riewoldt would clunk a mark and kick truly. Think he ended up with 9 goals that day.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Saints of 04 were a bit like the Dogs of 21/22 in that they would bully the crap teams at Docklands all year, but struggled elsewhere when the conditions didn't suit. In fact, they won 13 from 13 at Docklands that year, and only won 4 from 12 at other venues.

I remember that game in round 15 because Melbourne won by like 10 goals, but every time the Saints went inside 50 a young Nick Riewoldt would clunk a mark and kick truly. Think he ended up with 9 goals that day.
Yeah I remember that. Reiwoldt kicking 9 but we still won by 10. Saints did have a few good wins in that 10 game winning streak. Beat Geelong first game of the season, mind you Geelong didn't come good until later in the season, Melbourne also lost round 1 to hawthorn who were s**t. They beat Adelaide at footy Park which was a good win and Brisbane at Docklands by 1 point buy I feel there was some controversy with the point like it should have been on the full. Anyway they certainly had a down patch after that winning streak but admitted came good for finals. Had momentum against Port until the big gtrain kicked his 100th, was early in the game so you never know. I reckon Brisbane would have creamed saints in the grand final, saints were too young and Brisbane would have bullied them a bit like Essendon in 2000.

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Has anyone read Gawny's book? It's a light read and full of stories I've heard before, but it's still enjoyable. I like the way the chapters go through each game of the 2021 season, and the chapters also look specificaly at almost every player on the list.

I'm about to read the last chapter about the Grand Final, excited to find out what happens 😮

Has anyone read Gawny's book? It's a light read and full of stories I've heard before, but it's still enjoyable. I like the way the chapters go through each game of the 2021 season, and the chapters also look specificaly at almost every player on the list.

I'm about to read the last chapter about the Grand Final, excited to find out what happens 😮
Got it for Christmas last year. Very easy read but enjoyable, few newish anecdotes in there. I too liked that most players got a little writeup and you get to know a bit more about the different personalities of the team.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

How tf did the Saints not win a flag between that 2009-2011? Whoops. They were a bloody good team. One of the best not to win one reckon.

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
How tf did the Saints not win a flag between that 2009-2011? Whoops. They were a bloody good team. One of the best not to win one reckon.
Had some great players, Lenny Hayes would be one of my all time favourite opposition players. Their bottom 6 got a lot of flack when they fell short, but Reiwoldt’s howler in the square is a huge sliding doors moment, pretty much cost them their flag.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Had some great players, Lenny Hayes would be one of my all time favourite opposition players. Their bottom 6 got a lot of flack when they fell short, but Reiwoldt’s howler in the square is a huge sliding doors moment, pretty much cost them their flag.
Lol they were 14 points down in the first quarter in the replay. Wasn't even close to a game defining moment

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Yeah they were never in the game on that GF replay. 97 was another huge lost opportunity. I'm not sure I've seen a more clutch player in a GF as Jarman that year. Dusty of course has been clutch but boy that Jarman last quarter was outrageous. Not moving Shanahan was very costly. Had their chances the Saints

Lol they were 14 points down in the first quarter in the replay. Wasn't even close to a game defining moment
Nah they were under the pump and had a great passage of play late in the first quarter to wrestle back some momentum. They probably lose regardless but after that they never looked in the game at all.

the Collingwood St.Kilda drawn granny might be one of the most boring draw's ive ever seen. Horrible Granny with the only thing making it interesting was the scores being close

the Collingwood St.Kilda drawn granny might be one of the most boring draw's ive ever seen. Horrible Granny with the only thing making it interesting was the scores being close
It's annoying it gets played every single year in the GF marathon just because of it. Would much prefer to watch one like 2011 even though the Cats blew it out in the last quarter.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Nah they were under the pump and had a great passage of play late in the first quarter to wrestle back some momentum. They probably lose regardless but after that they never looked in the game at all.
They hadn't score yet. It's not a GF defining moment at all mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back