Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Fans screaming out for state origin, afl hey let's make a team world. What is meant by multiculturalism, people with parents born over seas? Will Max gawn be considered multicultural both parents born in new Zealand.
He will lol. Multicultural is anyone who even has a single parent born overseas. It's ******* stupid.

Fans screaming out for state origin, afl hey let's make a team world. What is meant by multiculturalism, people with parents born over seas? Will Max gawn be considered multicultural both parents born in new Zealand.

Im sort of glad they dont do SOO anymore, those last 5 or so years tarnished the brand.

Rugby do it far better than us coz there is genuine hatred between two states, the AFL is all about love and not going hard at each other so we can all get nice contracts :rainbow:

🤮

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Im sort of glad they dont do SOO anymore, those last 5 or so years tarnished the brand.

Rugby do it far better than us coz there is genuine hatred between two states, the AFL is all about love :rainbow:

🤮
Yeah that's true. If we did Vic vs WA it'd be Riewoldt and Fyfe hugging each other on the front cover, mate vs mate with some kiss emojis. No doubt one of the teams would wear a rainbow jersey

Yeah that's true. If we did Vic vs WA it'd be Riewoldt and Fyfe hugging each other on the front cover, mate vs mate with some kiss emojis. No doubt one of the teams would wear a rainbow jersey

Yea, if you arent going to play hard, and some players aren't going to play coz clubs dont want them to then there is no point.

I actually think the last game was great, the All Stars vs Victoria. Mainly coz Jonathan Brown promoted the s**t out of it and is a throw back player who took massive pride in representing his state and demanded players go hard, now there isn't anyone like him sadly. The game would be a farce.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Rugby do it far better than us coz there is genuine hatred between two states, the AFL is all about love and not going hard at each other so we can all get nice contracts :rainbow:

🤮
You mean Rugby league do it better 😉 The reason it works is because it's only played in 2 states so they can build a rivalry. NRL fans and players also see it as the pinnacle or at least equal to the premiership. Origin was only relevant in Aussie Rules pre afl era peaking in the 80s. I recall Dermie mentioning after a while he didn't care about it. Every week it's like state of origin anyway Sydney vs West Coast, Adelaide vs Gold Coast ect.

Every week it's like state of origin anyway Sydney vs West Coast, Adelaide vs Gold Coast ect.

Dont agree with that , most interstate clubs have half a list of interstaters.

Victoria and South Australia had a genuine hatred towards each other in the 90's still.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
You mean Rugby league do it better 😉 The reason it works is because it's only played in 2 states so they can build a rivalry. NRL fans and players also see it as the pinnacle or at least equal to the premiership. Origin was only relevant in Aussie Rules pre afl era peaking in the 80s. I recall Dermie mentioning after a while he didn't care about it. Every week it's like state of origin anyway Sydney vs West Coast, Adelaide vs Gold Coast ect.
That whole every week is a Soo is rubbish lol. Brisbane vs Richmond illicits no pride for Victoria at all

Rugby League don't do it better because they have 2 states, they do it better because they care

If you did a proper WA vs Victoria, promoted it, had it stand alone and had a consequence like relegation to a lower level match for a loss people would care.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I think the other reason it wouldn’t work is the vast money and player contracts these days. Like preseason, players are actually instructed to avoid potential injury situations. A talented young player could literally see 5 million dollars disappear in smoke with a bad enough injury. And big money players are viewed as a commodity - if your club has shelled out on a big contract they want that repayed in games played.

There was that VIC versus everyone else game a few years back I recall? I actually enjoyed parts of it much more than I expected, but no way does it compare the the rivalry and swagger of SOO at its peak

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think the other reason it wouldn’t work is the vast money and player contracts these days. Like preseason, players are actually instructed to avoid potential injury situations. A talented young player could literally see 5 million dollars disappear in smoke with a bad enough injury. And big money players are viewed as a commodity - if your club has shelled out on a big contract they want that repayed in games played.

There was that VIC versus everyone else game a few years back I recall? I actually enjoyed parts of it much more than I expected, but no way does it compare the the rivalry and swagger of SOO at its peak
Could have the same argument for a round 19 game when your sides out of finals. If you're good enough to play SOO, you're good enough to get another contract after injury. Petracca did his ACL before playing a game and he's doing ok.

tomcruise

the cruisemeister
Feb 23, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Gibby has been really solid in the role, I think we’ve all enjoyed his work. Gawn and the players seem to genuinely like him too.

Still, he has had easy street compared to Matt Burgan who should be running a TV network for the interviews he had to make during our darkest decade.

I hear ya, but disagree. Gibby's been excellent and Burgo was terrible.

My application is in the mail. :love:
Gus and Gawny podcast with a live Headless reaction.

Basically just the Wow emoji in the corner of the screen.

givemethecure

All Australian
Jul 13, 2009
Bendigo
AFL Club
Melbourne
I hope his next role has a decent editor. The amount of "Player X is wrapped with" or "Guttered" among several other grammar howlers per article from Gibbo were outrageous. Burgo at least knew to mind his ps and qs.

Jun 23, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA dodgers LA Kings Melbourne Aces
not sure if there is a chat dedicated to this but, Port and from both have books documenting the history of their jerseys, I personally love this idea and would like to make a demons edition of this book if we can get many people involved and make this idea a reality and use the port and from books as a reference of how to structure it as I have decent knowledge of thus but love prefer to get more invested in documenting all jerseys with images ofc the idea would be to sell on the same website as the crows and port ones but also have it backed by the club and have their knowledge and input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back