Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wed, 7th Dec Training Report.

When I arrived there was just players having shots at goal from the boundary line. The whistle called the players in and training began.

Goodwin, Steven May, Hibberd not in attendance.
  • Joel Smith, Brayshaw, Moniz-Wakefield, Deakin Smith, Verrall, Jed Adams in the rehab group not doing a whole lot other than some run throughs.
  • Jed Adams rolled his left ankle (it’s not serious) in the first 1 minute of training and then joined the rehab group.
  • Ben Brown also didn’t do a whole lot. He did some kick to kick with one of the coaches (no idea who he is) who had a really nice kick on him.
  • Varrell was wearing #28, Jefferson #21. Seston #38.
  • Kynan Brown was also training and he will no doubt be a demon in next years draft. He has decent speed and appetite for the contest. Looks to have a good lateral step. Question marks will probably be similar to his dad: Skills and decision making although I think his skills are better thank his dad's.
  • Reports of Varrell looking like a big boy are definitely true. In a few pre-seasons I can see him filling out to be as big as we want him to be. Whether it’s a Stef Martin size or someone slimmer. He has the frame to turn him into anything the coaches want.
  • Oliver Sestan. The hype is real. After watching him kick, I would go as far as to say that he is one of the best kicks at the club. His ball drop is perfect and quick and there’s not much that can go wrong with it. He has fantastic penetration in his kicking. There’s a bit of Brent Moloney about him. In the full ground training match sim/drill he struggled a bit to get involved in the play but he had some nice touches. He was sort of playing on a wing which I’m guessing isn’t really his thing. The main watch on him would be his repeat efforts, reading of the play and maybe a slight watch on his overall speed in general. But overall, I was very excited with what I saw. He can definitely make the grade, if he wants to. In terms of his size and frame, he’s probably already as big and nuggety as a Jack Viney. Not so much in the arms, but he looks to have a lot of his weight in the hips. Similar to a, dare I say, Ablett Jnr. :p
  • In the handball drills where you had to sort of handball through an opposition team without getting tackled the ones that stood out to me was Trent Rivers. Bailey Laurie also looks to have a bit more zip about him which is what my major watch on him was.
  • In the same handball drill, I saw Bowey give several left handed handball. I can put that to bed now. :)
  • Now on Jefferson, no doubt he is skinny. Super skinny. But he bobbed up and did some nice things. Pretty much all of the recruits got caught napping a few times in the full ground drills. Kynan Brown, Sestan and Jefferson all had their kicks smothered once or twice. This is the pace of the game that will take some time. Jefferson was on the receiving end of a couple of goals in the full ground drill and he defended quite well out of forward 50m.
  • JVR is ready to go. Enough said.
  • The coaches were Yze, Chaplin, Stafford, Matthew Whelan, Mark Williams and 1 or 2 others that I didn’t recognise.
  • Lachie Hunter looks like he isn’t super fit but when has he ever really?
  • Oliver looks trim and fit and healthy. In one of the drills there was a 1 on 1 ground ball against Judd McVee and McvEee ducked out of it and Clarry went straight for the ball. For fantasy nuts, don't be afraid to get Oliver into your team as your midfield premo :)
  • Blake Howes is slowly putting on size. Realistically I think he is still another year away. He has some serious bulking to put on still.
  • Daniel Turner was one of the best trainers, as was Taj Woewodin. I’m not sure what weapons Taj has but he’s in elite condition and he was covering the ground really well and he has bulked up a lot.

Last edited:
No debt is surreal. Wouldn’t want to be a club sitting on a mega debt with the interest rate hikes.

When I arrived there was just players having shots at goal from the boundary line. The whistle called the players in and training began.

• Joel Smith, Brayshaw, Moniz-Wakefield, Deakin Smith, Verrall, Jed Adams in the rehab group not doing a whole lot other than some run throughs.
  • Jed Adams rolled his left ankle (it’s not serious) in the first 1 minute of training and then joined the rehab group.
  • Ben Brown also didn’t do a whole lot. He did some kick to kick with one of the coaches (no idea who he is) who had a really nice kick on him.
  • Kynan Brown was also training and he will no doubt be a demon in next years draft. He has decent speed and appetite for the contest. Looks to have a good lateral step. Question marks will probably be similar to his dad: Skills and decision making although I think his skills are better thank his dad's.
  • Reports of Varrell looking like a big boy are definitely true. In a few pre-seasons I can see him filling out to be as big as we want him to be. Whether it’s a Stef Martin size or someone slimmer. He has the frame to turn him into anything the coaches want.
  • Oliver Sestan. The hype is real. After watching him kick, I would go as far as to say that he is one of the best kicks at the club. His ball drop is perfect and quick and there’s not much that can go wrong with it. He has fantastic penetration in his kicking. There’s a bit of Brent Moloney about him. In the full ground training match sim/drill he struggled a bit to get involved in the play but he had some nice touches. He was sort of playing on a wing which I’m guessing isn’t really his thing. The main watch on him would be his repeat efforts, reading of the play and maybe a slight watch on his overall speed in general. But overall, I was very excited with what I saw. He can definitely make the grade, if he wants to. In terms of his size and frame, he’s probably already as big and nuggety as a Jack Viney. Not so much in the arms, but he looks to have a lot of his weight in the hips. Similar to a, dare I say, Ablett Jnr. :p
  • In the handball drills where you had to sort of handball through an opposition team without getting tackled the ones that stood out to me was Trent Rivers. Bailey Laurie also looks to have a bit more zip about him which is what my major watch on him was.
  • In the same handball drill, I saw Bowey give several left handed handball. I can put that to bed now. :)
  • Now on Jefferson, no doubt he is skinny. Super skinny. But he bobbed up and did some nice things. Pretty much all of the recruits got caught napping a few times in the full ground drills. Kynan Brown, Sestan and Jefferson all had their kicks smothered once or twice. This is the pace of the game that will take some time. Jefferson was on the receiving end of a couple of goals in the full ground drill and he defended quite well out of forward 50m.
  • The coaches were Yze, Chaplin, Stafford, Matthew Whelan, Mark Williams and 1 or 2 others that I didn’t recognise.
  • Oliver looks trim and fit and healthy. In one of the drills there was a 1 on 1 ground ball against Judd McVee and McvEee ducked out of it and Clarry went straight for the ball. For fantasy nuts, don't be afraid to get Oliver into your team as your midfield premo :)
  • Blake Howes is slowly putting on size. Realistically I think he is still another year away. He has some serious bulking to put on still.
  • Daniel Turner was one of the best trainers, as was Taj Woewodin. I’m not sure what weapons Taj has but he’s in elite condition and he was covering the ground really well and he has bulked up a lot.
Appreciate the update. Have made a preseason thread for other updates/conjecture about who is/isn't training houses down. Training - Preseason 2023

Apr 1, 2018
AFL Club
Tasmania

Thanks for putting in the effort for this post.

booshboy

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Thanks for the summary- how did Tmac look?

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Thanks for the summary- how did Tmac look?
yeah. I actually thought he looked in pretty good nick. I didn't notice him in the full ground drills so much(I'm unsure if he even participated to be honest) but from a pure physical point of view he looks to be strong and not carrying too much weight.

May 27, 2006
This is the location section. 🤗
AFL Club
Melbourne

Good stuff - thanks. :thumbsu:

KAYNE

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2007
Big White
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
So for Gather Round we have the Bombers at Adelaide Oval. It's a double header with Port playing the Dogs after, tickets on sale Monday. Assume we will get an email from the club today or tomorrow regarding the process for it.

tomcruise

the cruisemeister
Feb 23, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
So for Gather Round we have the Bombers at Adelaide Oval. It's a double header with Port playing the Dogs after, tickets on sale Monday. Assume we will get an email from the club today or tomorrow regarding the process for it.

My bombers supporting mate says it's a bombers 'home game' and reckons we'll get in on his membership as if it's the MCG/Marvel.

I would've thought all ticket sales to the AFL for this one, but apparently not.

I'm amped for it. Think it'll be a blast.

KAYNE

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2007
Big White
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
My bombers supporting mate says it's a bombers 'home game' and reckons we'll get in on his membership as if it's the MCG/Marvel.

I would've thought all ticket sales to the AFL for this one, but apparently not.

I'm amped for it. Think it'll be a blast.
I think with the tickets it's like a final so split 50/50. There is no home team as per se

booshboy

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
what am I missing with Gather round? play that at the G you probably get 70k..lucky to get 25k in Adelaide, seems like a giant ******* wank...

what am I missing with Gather round? play that at the G you probably get 70k..lucky to get 25k in Adelaide, seems like a giant ******* wank...
Only about 12k turned out for our Qualifying final against Brisbane last year. South Australians don't give a s**t unless it's their club playing.

This is going to be more embarrassing than AFL X.

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pretty sure the only point to this round is that the AFL gets to sell it to a state government for cash.

State Governments probably figure that 8 extra games in half full stadiums is still a lot of extra visitors spending money. But won't be a great look if Adelaide Oval is only a third full.

AFL wanted to copy something from league and as LarryDavidNeitz says they can fleece some state gov cash while they're at it
As a non-Victorian who doesn't get footy every weekend anyway I'm pretty interested in going over. There are a mix of loyalties in my family (Crows, Blues, Saints too) so having one weekend to watch all our teams in one spot is convenient.

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
AFL wanted to copy something from league and as LarryDavidNeitz says they can fleece some state gov cash while they're at it
As a non-Victorian who doesn't get footy every weekend anyway I'm pretty interested in going over. There are a mix of loyalties in my family (Crows, Blues, Saints too) so having one weekend to watch all our teams in one spot is convenient.

It'll be interesting to see what the practicalities are of getting to multiple games. I wouldn't be against the chance to see 3 games in 3 days but they'd need to be decent games and reasonably priced tickets.

It'll be interesting to see what the practicalities are of getting to multiple games. I wouldn't be against the chance to see 3 games in 3 days but they'd need to be decent games and reasonably priced tickets.
My thoughts too. They'll probably need to use at least one or two other venues which are hopefully closeish to the city and not total s**t holes.
Or they have triple headers at AO Saturday/Sunday. Plus Thursday and Friday games?

Have a $200 bet with a mate who goes for Freo , Jackson over under on goals for the season 24.5, ive got the under he has the over.

ACL in the preseason for the lols please

Even if he plays a full season I very much doubt he'll reach 25 goals.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yea, thats why I bet it. I doubt it also. Even if they rest him forward for 50% of the game I havent seen enough forward craft to suggest he kicks 25, and Freo's slow ball movement might actually be worse than ours also.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back