Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree that a lot Pert said matches what 17 other Clubs would see as goals (except our training base issue which is MFC specific). Listening to Pert, Richardson, Goodwin much of it sounded like classic ‘corporate speak’ . Goodwin himself called out ruthlessness last year but again quite a bit of fluff when asked about it and Richardson talking about guys hungry for a Premiership medal around their necks was how we become ruthless. Would have been great if they gave us something that would really make us sit up and take notice as supporters. Even something symbolic around ruthlessness eg. we will never again allow our captain to be bullied in a game the way a couple of pissants from Adelaide nailed him last year. Or something along those lines. Maybe Goodwin just dug himself a hole with the ruthless statement and doesn’t know how he wants to take it forward.

Last edited:
I'm actually surprised at people commenting on the forum.

They don't have any interaction and people slam them for being s**t

If they talk a big game the media will be all over them

If they speak corporate, supporters say theyve heard it all before.

I'm sick of talk like everyone. But got to be some form of interaction between now and whenever season starts.

They don't have any interaction and people slam them for being sh*t

I'm sick of talk like everyone. But got to be some form of interaction between now and whenever season starts.

I actually like the club doing this but still think Goody is a crap public speaker in general.

I actually like the club doing this but still think Goody is a crap public speaker in general.
Yeah and that's valid to pick out.

I just find it bordering on whinging when people post about "it's just more words let's see action" etc.

On Goodwin, why is he so highly rated by players and management/footy dept, yet us mere supporters seem to view him like he's some sort of buffoon?

His approval rating by melb supporters would have to be in the 30-40% range. Obviously we are not as privy to the everyday runnings of the club, but it's a huge chasm between the membership supporters approval and the tolerance of the board.

He obviously tells management what they want to hear and then spends his time being all the players best friend, instead of actually being a coach and telling them what they need to hear.
With the new personnel around the club hes really on borrowed time, as far as I'm concerned.

They don't have any interaction and people slam them for being sh*t

Commenting on the all around coaching at the club is always hilarious. Blokes will pot assistant coaches due to having a s**t playing record but obviously you'll never know if they're any good.

For instance out backline was great this year, Was it only May? Was it the backline coach or was it Goody. The latter 2 will never get any credit with supporters

So over summer Deakyn Smith (NGA) and Kobe Farmer (Father-Son) are training with us and are gonna try to put their hands up for SSP/Midseason draft spots.

Also Taj Woewodin is gonna be training with us, but isn't eleigible till the 2021 Draft later next year.
How far off is Jeff whites young fella? Anyone know?

No doubt he will be an elite golfer or basketbller and pick that over Aussie rules/dees.

Commenting on the all around coaching at the club is always hilarious. Blokes will pot assistant coaches due to having a sh*t playing record but obviously you'll never know if they're any good.

For instance out backline was great this year, Was it only May? Was it the backline coach or was it Goody. The latter 2 will never get any credit with supporters
I never seen this reply, unfortunately. But I like it.

People rubbishing chaplin but as you say, this year defence was spectacular mostly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, hence why I said star.

When Viney is the "win", it's obviously pretty dire pickings.

More likely Dean Terlich and James Magner' s turn out to be the future stars. If only we got them to 100 games.

I remember Garry Lyon half lamenting how s**t his kids were at football while talking to Joel Selwood years ago.

Can't remember the context but Selwood said something along the lines of "your boys might be drafted soon." Garry just responded with "Yeah, don't see that happening."

Last edited:
I half remember Garry Lyon half lamenting how sh*t his kids were at football while talking to Joel Selwood years ago.

Can't remember the context but Selwood said something along the lines of "your boys might be drafted soon." Garry just responded with "Yeah, don't see that happening."
He used to say on MMM all the time his kids just didn't really like footy. Didn't help following the dees between 08-18

I saw a video of one of Jeff White’s sons dobbing a goal from 50m out with bare feet, which is more impressive considering he’s almost as tall as his dad already. Maybe his skills don’t extend beyond that, but fingers crossed. I’m not a huge fan of the F/S rule though so not that upset if they get rid of it.

I saw a video of one of Jeff White’s sons dobbing a goal from 50m out with bare feet, which is more impressive considering he’s almost as tall as his dad already. Maybe his skills don’t extend beyond that, but fingers crossed. I’m not a huge fan of the F/S rule though so not that upset if they get rid of it.

They'll definitely get rid of it right when we're about to get a 00's Geelong era haul of players.

They'll definitely get rid of it right when we're about to get a 00's Geelong era haul of players.
True, but even if they specifically use an excuse to screw us over to get rid of it it’s still good for the game IMO. We could have 5 GAJs come in and still fail to make finals for a decade anyway.

Give Kobe Farmer a go, surely
If every club passed on him in both national and rookie drafts and we had 2 rookie spots available then still passed on him, I think that says a lot.

Maybe sign him to Casey, is the father/son a one off draft exemption or does it carry over? Either way I’d rather see what he can do in the VFL for Casey instead of giving him a token spot on the list.

If every club passed on him in both national and rookie drafts and we had 2 rookie spots available then still passed on him, I think that says a lot.

Maybe sign him to Casey, is the father/son a one off draft exemption or does it carry over? Either way I’d rather see what he can do in the VFL for Casey instead of giving him a token spot on the list.

From what I've read we will invite him to play at Casey. He's not good enough for an AFL list.

True, but even if they specifically use an excuse to screw us over to get rid of it it’s still good for the game IMO. We could have 5 GAJs come in and still fail to make finals for a decade anyway.

Idk, I've always liked that we have this one unique aspect of the sport that is entirely justified by sentimentality. One of my disappointments that has come with the modern professionalism of the sport is that all the philosophies and culture that made clubs special have all but faded away. These days it feels less like we're barracking for a club with a history and identity that is resonant and particular and more like we're just cheering for brands which all just try to follow best practice and the people are interchangable.

Idk, I've always liked that we have this one unique aspect of the sport that is entirely justified by sentimentality. One of my disappointments that has come with the modern professionalism of the sport is that all the philosophies and culture that made clubs special have all but faded away. These days it feels less like we're barracking for a club with a history and identity that is resonant and particular and more like we're just cheering for brands which all just try to follow best practice and the people are interchangable.
Maybe. I just don’t think the value-add for the FS rule justifies how much it compromises the draft in this era of live trading and points. I don’t mind what they’re doing with the academies where you can’t match bids in the first round. That would be good for F/S too imo. It shouldn’t be a way to grab elite talent, but perfectly fine as a way to direct middling talent to their fathers’ clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back