Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
We don’t have too much in terms of currency with draft picks. It’s hard to get a gauge on what someone like Brayshaw is worth at the trade table. We’re virtually araldited to a coach with serious question marks.

When Roos handed over in 2016, and in even through 2017 & 18 there were plenty of reasons to feel bullish about the club and this playing group’s prospects. Right now, it feels like it’s been pissed away without really having given ourselves a chance.

I can understand that there's a sense of futility considering Melbourne have reset so many times without ultimately saluting over the years, but if you look at the top end of your list age wise, then there is still plenty to be optimistic about with the list:

1599599437728.png

The succession for Jones is in place, and Gawn & May still have 4 years of football left, which is enough time to fill in the cracks. Gawn's succession also appears to be in motion with the drafting of Jackson. Melbourne are going to have to address a successor for May, and I don't know much about how Petty is progressing with no VFL football. Weidemann & Fritsch look likely types up forward. I reckon the Dees need to look at some value choices in free agency to fill the gaps, whilst retaining their draft picks and focusing on talls or skilled outside types at the draft.

The situation is not as dire as some might think, nor is time running out. The real bulk of your list quality is still in your 26 and under group. I just wouldn't expect it to change in the blink of an eye while the current game plan is in use. This definitely needs addressing.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
fu** I hope the boys on the Deebrief give Pert an absolute roasting today.
Having listened to it I don’t think your hopes were fulfilled.

Broad brush strokes:

* Very disappointed with the last two games/season to date. Understands the frustrations of fans.

* While accepting that fans are angry he believes that some of the feedback is over the top and is a culmination of a 56 year drought/bad past experiences under different management.

* The best way to start building a healthy club is through on field performance. He gets frustrated at the skill errors/lapses from the playing group.

* Didn’t really go into specifics but stated we are well on track to securing a permanent home base/training ground in what he calls ‘the MCG precinct’.

* The whole AFL industry has been smashed by COVID. The soft cap for football departments will reduce from $9.5m to $6.5m. The upshot is that we are not having to go to the AFL/banks for financial support meaning further carnage to FD spend.

* Used a fair bit of corporate speak when talking about the football club’s mission and why we hired/re-signed Goodwin. These parts were pretty standard dull rhetoric.

* Strongly indicated that Goodwin will be coach next year without giving a rock solid guarantee. Quote: “I don’t engage in hypotheticals” responding to a question about what happens if we lose the last two.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Having listened to it I don’t think your hopes were fulfilled.

Broad brush strokes:

* Very disappointed with the last two games/season to date. Understands the frustrations of fans.

* While accepting that fans are angry he believes that some of the feedback is over the top and is a culmination of a 56 year drought/bad past experiences under different management.

* The best way to start building a healthy club is through on field performance. He gets frustrated at the skill errors/lapses from the playing group.

* Didn’t really go into specifics but stated we are well on track to securing a permanent home base/training ground in what he calls ‘the MCG precinct’.

* The whole AFL industry has been smashed by COVID. The soft cap for football departments will reduce from $9.5m to $6.5m. The upshot is that we are not having to go to the AFL/banks for financial support meaning further carnage to FD spend.

* Used a fair bit of corporate speak when talking about the football club’s mission and why we hired/re-signed Goodwin. These parts were pretty standard dull rhetoric.

* Strongly indicated that Goodwin will be coach next year without giving a rock solid guarantee. Quote: “I don’t engage in hypotheticals” responding to a question about what happens if we lose the last two.
Sounds like an incompetent buffoon trying desperately to cover his tracks

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I would enjoy hearing how everyone became a Dees fan. Is the team you support typically passed down generation to generation? Or are the other people who are as foolish as me, and actually picked this club!?!?
For me it was that bullshit romance thing. I’m a bit of a newcomer to AFL. Grew up in Canberra (mixed region because everyone there was from elsewhere so some are into AFL, some into the rugby codes). My Dad hated all forms of football with a passion - he was from northern NSW. My mum liked watching footy from time to time because she was south Australian and also loves watching any old sport, but she didn’t have a team. I fell for a guy in 2007 who was a massive MFC fan - actually he played for the club, in reserves, before injury. So I did one of those things where I tried to get interested in what he was interested in. 13 years on and we’re still together and BOTH stuck with this club.

TBF, he has done his bit trying to get interested in string quartets and the like.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
If you want an insight into the club and the culture around the game and want to get a look into what was the best era for any football club in the history of the game, order a copy of "The Red Fox" the Biography of Norm Smith. Excellent book.
Can recommend, and I’m not usually a fan of sports bios

For me it was that bullshit romance thing. I’m a bit of a newcomer to AFL. Grew up in Canberra (mixed region because everyone there was from elsewhere so some are into AFL, some into the rugby codes). My Dad hated all forms of football with a passion - he was from northern NSW. My mum liked watching footy from time to time because she was south Australian and also loves watching any old sport, but she didn’t have a team. I fell for a guy in 2007 who was a massive MFC fan - actually he played for the club, in reserves, before injury. So I did one of those things where I tried to get interested in what he was interested in. 13 years on and we’re still together and BOTH stuck with this club.

TBF, he has done his bit trying to get interested in string quartets and the like.

I'm about to make this super awkward if I name the person you're with, but whatevs, I really hope you're not sleeping with Jace Bode or Mitch White, PG.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I'm about to make this super awkward if I name the person you're with, but whatevs, I really hope you're not sleeping with Jace Bode or Mitch White, PG.
No. No no no. No

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Thank god, I would have had to add you to my ever growing ignore list otherwise. :p
In the interests of full disclose I reckon I’m old enough to be Whitey’s mother.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Is this the part where we open a thread named "guess pgs partner" and we open demon wiki and fire random names around?
Weird. I was literally thinking about a “post your ignore list” and discuss sort of thread

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Is this the part where we open a thread named "guess pgs partner" and we open demon wiki and fire random names around?
He’s in Demon Wiki - mostly for junior achievements. My partner is lots older than me, more than 20 years older actually. He never played in the firsts but was pretty talented from what I can make out. Busted a knee young then gravitated to the life of govt clerk and so forth. He did play some games with Biffinator’s uncle and describes him as a “mad bastard”.

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
I would enjoy hearing how everyone became a Dees fan. Is the team you support typically passed down generation to generation? Or are the other people who are as foolish as me, and actually picked this club!?!?
Pretty sure my mates at school told me to pick Essendon as I didn’t have a team (prep), the photocopy we had was black and white and I picked Melbourne by mistake. Oops.

Growing up in country NSW I've never been able to properly justify why I chose the Dees. My local team had the same jumper, and I've always liked our kit. We were pretty good when I was younger too (early-mid 00s), and my old man was a sorta Melbourne fan (he's never stuck with a side but has a soft spot for us, I think) so that may have played a part.
Unfortunately once I'd decided I was a Melbourne fan I went all in.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pretty sure my mates at school told me to pick Essendon as I didn’t have a team (prep), the photocopy we had was black and white and I picked Melbourne by mistake. Oops.
I tried switching to the dark side around 95 or 96. I had shifted schools from Coburg to Moonee Ponds. Was almost 100% Essendon filth there, my dad barracked for them, they were making finals & all my favourite players at the Dees were injured and turning to s**t.

I may have even had a t-shirt and hat. This all lasted for about a week, perhaps a week later I was claiming that I barracked for two teams, a week after that they were my ‘second favourite team’. In a grand total of 3 weeks my efforts to self-convert had failed. The red and blue, headband wearing, headwobbling, erratic *s were part of me. I also like to think I didn’t have the requisite low IQ and antisocial behaviour of many of your Essendon types.

Anyway I got shingles about a month ago, no doubt it was penance for the t-shirt. I’m expecting pattern baldness for the hat soon.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
It’s close but you might have made the better choice

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Loving these stories. It’s much different in the states. We’re assigned our teams at birth!

Last edited:

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
As a new MFC fan I guess it’s my duty to fall for the old banana in the tailpipe with renewed hope for finals footy due to the surprising GWS loss. The door remains open, if only a crack!

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
My family and I moved to Australia when I was 6, so I had no family connection to a team.

Then in Grade 1 that year, I made friends with three boys who wanted to ‘recruit’ me to the AFL side they went for. The choices were Hawthorn, North and Melbourne. Of course I chose the one that hasn’t won a flag since, and possibly never will

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I got assigned at birth, dad got a membership when i was born. Mum goes for Hawthorn and I could've seen 4 flags in my lifetime. I think my Dad just wanted me to endure the same pain he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back