Not open for further replies.

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
Having listened to it I don’t think your hopes were fulfilled.

Broad brush strokes:

* Very disappointed with the last two games/season to date. Understands the frustrations of fans.

* While accepting that fans are angry he believes that some of the feedback is over the top and is a culmination of a 56 year drought/bad past experiences under different management.

* The best way to start building a healthy club is through on field performance. He gets frustrated at the skill errors/lapses from the playing group.

* Didn’t really go into specifics but stated we are well on track to securing a permanent home base/training ground in what he calls ‘the MCG precinct’.

* The whole AFL industry has been smashed by COVID. The soft cap for football departments will reduce from $9.5m to $6.5m. The upshot is that we are not having to go to the AFL/banks for financial support meaning further carnage to FD spend.

* Used a fair bit of corporate speak when talking about the football club’s mission and why we hired/re-signed Goodwin. These parts were pretty standard dull rhetoric.

* Strongly indicated that Goodwin will be coach next year without giving a rock solid guarantee. Quote: “I don’t engage in hypotheticals” responding to a question about what happens if we lose the last two.

I listed to it on my run today, I get that he cannot come out and say "yeah we ****ed up on that long contract, and the boys just dont pay attention" but a fair bit of what he spoke about rang some alarm bells for me, or at least indicated he does not grasp the severity of the situation
-> Didn't seem to acknowledge the lack of effort, or the on consistency of effort and put it down to concentration
-> Indicated several times our approach and game plan is sound
-> Spoke about his role as being to ensure we have the best non player talent, and yet we surround goody with unproven (or proven to be very poor) assistants

Nothing that made me think we are prepared to course correct, more like we are on the right course and just need to tune the engines. I think we are off course, with a leaky boat and a drunk captain heading into a hurricane

EDIT: Yes I realize this is one of the times I'm being very pessimistic

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
I listed to it on my run today, I get that he cannot come out and say "yeah we f’ed up on that long contract, and the boys just dont pay attention" but a fair bit of what he spoke about rang some alarm bells for me, or at least indicated he does not grasp the severity of the situation
-> Didn't seem to acknowledge the lack of effort, or the on consistency of effort and put it down to concentration
-> Spoke about his role as being to ensure we have the best non player talent, and yet we surround goody with unproven (or proven to be very poor) assistants

Nothing that made me think we are prepared to course correct, more like we are on the right course and just need to tune the engines. I think we are off course, with a leaky boat and a drunk captain heading into a hurricane

It seems fairly obvious that Goodwin and Mahoney are getting another run around next year, to say that it’s disheartening to have to place our faith and hope in these 2 incompetents who have achieved nothing but failure in their what is it, 12 and 6 years at the club respectively would be selling it short.

I shudder to think what damage these 2 idiots will inflict on us during the trade period now that they are fighting for their jobs, fairly confident there won’t be a lot of planning for the future.

Billy Demon

Senior List
Jun 12, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Melb , Ess and Syd membership down 20% this year. Which club do you think will NOT take this as a sign that something has to change?

Melb , Ess and Syd membership down 20% this year. Which club do you think will NOT take this as a sign that something has to change?

🤔....🤔🤔......no wait I'll get it in a second.....🤔 ....Sy...no...ummmmmm🤔

Give me an hour or so, I'll get back to you

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I listed to it on my run today, I get that he cannot come out and say "yeah we f’ed up on that long contract, and the boys just dont pay attention" but a fair bit of what he spoke about rang some alarm bells for me, or at least indicated he does not grasp the severity of the situation

It was a good interview from the boys but they were pretty constrained about how tough they could go. I do wish they asked him at what stage do they have to go from trusting the systems they have in place to making a change.

He makes the point that they want to have consistency of message and he has faith in Goody's program, but last year they rejigged the coaching set-up mid year. Hardly a resolute action.

I also would have liked them to ask why it is we need to have a base in the shadow of the MCG? I get it was our home ground, we were first etc. But when the club says stuff like this it makes me think we are still living in the past. Why chase the "hardest piece of land available in Australia" when we could potentially make a base in a middle or innner suburb of Melbourne? I get that Casey isn't appealing to players and we shouldn't go down that path, but surely a place in Carlton, Docklands, E-gate, Aren-Macaulay could have been a more realistic option. Regardles,, it is hardly an excuse this year for our bad performances compared to other Vic clubs in hubs as well.

Sydney

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Re. Having a home base. It’s mind blowing how long this has/is taking.

Pert says it needs to be in the ‘shadow of the MCG’. He also stated that this is very challenging because it is a prime piece of real estate. Perhaps it’s just me but isn’t this the sort of navel gazing hubris that makes us a bit of a bucket shop. Pert said if we were to move to Casey or somewhere like it, it could be done tomorrow. Again, I respect our history, but it just feels like we shouldn’t be paying this much credence when it comes to such an important facet of the functioning of the football club.

What if Hawthorn took such a militant attitude to staying at Glenferrie Rd? Am I the only one that thinks our attitude towards this is bonkers and verging on culty?

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

Pert says it needs to be in the ‘shadow of the MCG’. He also stated that this is very challenging because it is a prime piece of real estate. Perhaps it’s just me but isn’t this the sort of navel gazing hubris that makes us a bit of a bucket shop. Pert said if we were to move to Casey or somewhere like it, it could be done tomorrow. Again, I respect our history, but it just feels like we shouldn’t be paying this much credence when it comes to such an important facet of the functioning of the football club.

What if Hawthorn took such a militant attitude to staying at Glenferrie Rd? Am I the only one that thinks our attitude towards this is bonkers and verging on culty?

Don't believe in this home base rubbish Pert has been peddling it since he came in and we've had ZERO indication anything will happen.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne

Day 1 of preseason 2021 the VFL and women’s teams will be training out of and have almost exclusive use of multi million dollar dedicated football facilities branded with the MFC colours, our AFL team will be training on a public paddock and sharing facilities with at least 2 other sports, but we couldn’t possibly ask the poor princess who have won 12 games in 2 years to drive 40 minutes to work, or perish the thought move closer, must be able to see the MCG at all times

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Whoops wrong thread :$
Oh wait no it's not
Here's my origin story:

I picked Dees because they're the best *in' club in the world and if anyone tells you otherwise tell them to get ****ed.
Also my family are Saints supporters.
Moorabbin in the 1980s was a campaigner of a place.

My niece did the same thing; whole family are Geelong supporters. So she chose the Dees instead.
I Ripped into everyone after the 2018 finals.
She moved to the States, and now she wants to know how Melbourne will go in the finals.
I'm just gonna tell her we won the *in' thing.
Go Dees.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Don't believe in this home base rubbish Pert has been peddling it since he came in and we've had ZERO indication anything will happen.
I do. And I honestly think it pre-dates Pert.

I went on the sponsor tour around AAMI which was basically great. Just 4 people who get two hours of wandering around AAMI, watching the boys train at Gosch’s and a visit to back rooms of the MCG. With Robbo there to show you stuff, chat, answer questions etc (he really performs the role amazingly well). Being the MCG Club - the real and first MCG club - is incredibly important to him and remains a source of pride. He pointed at the glasshouse at one point and talked about how he doesn’t have much time for Maguire or the Pies, what a great achievement it was for them to establish that hub, and he was super jealous. He talked about how they (MFC) had given consideration to establishing a home training environment somewhere in MCG precinct, or central like Docklands or Melbourne Uni - Docklands being the one he wasn’t keen on (me neither - it’s a vast project of failure that entire development).

I don’t think our home need be right up against the MCG - space is too premium - but I would be horrified if we move out of the inner suburbs. Let hawks drive to Dingley and Sainters go to Moorabbin. Melbourne needs to be located centrally

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I do. And I honestly think it pre-dates Pert.

I went on the sponsor tour around AAMI which was basically great. Just 4 people who get two hours of wandering around AAMI, watching the boys train at Gosch’s and a visit to back rooms of the MCG. With Robbo there to show you stuff, chat, answer questions etc (he really performs the role amazingly well). Being the MCG Club - the real and first MCG club - is incredibly important to him and remains a source of pride. He pointed at the glasshouse at one point and talked about how he doesn’t have much time for Maguire or the Pies, what a great achievement it was for them to establish that hub, and he was super jealous. He talked about how they (MFC) had given consideration to establishing a home training environment somewhere in MCG precinct, or central like Docklands or Melbourne Uni - Docklands being the one he wasn’t keen on (me neither - it’s a vast project of failure that entire development).

I don’t think our home need be right up against the MCG - space is too premium - but I would be horrified if we move out of the inner suburbs. Let hawks drive to Dingley and Sainters go to Moorabbin. Melbourne needs to be located centrally
The perspective I take is that we will always be the establishment club, the club that grew out of the MCG. No one can ever take that away from us. The beauty of being called Melbourne is that it is huge, sprawling city. Casey or somewhere like it provides the opportunity to connect to a growth corridor. The increasing gentrification of inner suburbs doesn’t allow for that, IMO. We also don’t have a spiritual, concentrated area of suburban supporters like Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond etc to fall back on. If we actually invested properly in it, our own boutique stadium to play shite drawing teams such as Gold Coast and GWS as a bit of a money spinner which could save a trip to the NT. The suburban clubs had to grow out of their original geographic locations. I don’t see what makes us better than that except for sentiment.

It’s a shame that we were self imolating while those sneaky black and white bastards were moving into the Glasshouse and then annexing Olympic Park. I think we’ve missed the boat on it, unfortunately.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
The perspective I take is that we will always be the establishment club, the club that grew out of the MCG. No one can ever take that away from us. The beauty of being called Melbourne is that it is huge, sprawling city. Casey or somewhere like it provides the opportunity to connect to a growth corridor. The increasing gentrification of inner suburbs doesn’t allow for that, IMO. We also don’t have a spiritual, concentrated area of suburban supporters like Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond etc to fall back on. If we actually invested properly in it, our own boutique stadium to play sh*te drawing teams such as Gold Coast and GWS as a bit of a money spinner which could save a trip to the NT. The suburban clubs had to grow out of their original geographic locations. I don’t see what makes us better than that except for sentiment.

It’s a shame that we were self imolating while those sneaky black and white bastards were moving into the Glasshouse and then annexing Olympic Park. I think we’ve missed the boat on it, unfortunately.
You know, I'm not really sold on the idea of geographically assigned supporter bases anymore. I think the modern world has changed. People move around all the time and I don't see much of that homogeneous supporter grouping like when I was a kid - the obvious exceptions to that being one- or two-team clubs like Geelong and the interstate teams. I think the real reason Collingowood, Richmond, Carlton, Hawthorn keep strong is not the geographic but the tradition of success. Yes Carlton has been terrible for a couple of decades, but their success in the 80's and 90's is still recent enough for extant support in large numbers. And of course, the original supporter base was so large back then so they had a lot to start with. People follow the club their parents followed for the most part. As long as your club has success, your membership will naturally grow. Melbourne has been starved of success and hope for too long. We failed to replenish our supporter base over the last 50 years like the clubs that were more successful did. It's not about suburbs. If we had won 6 flags over that time, I'd say we'd have about 50% more members than we do. So, in short, it doesn't matter where we're based. It matters that we get successful. That's the only way to have a promising future.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
You know, I'm not really sold on the idea of geographically assigned supporter bases anymore. I think the modern world has changed. People move around all the time and I don't see much of that homogeneous supporter grouping like when I was a kid - the obvious exceptions to that being one- or two-team clubs like Geelong and the interstate teams. I think the real reason Collingowood, Richmond, Carlton, Hawthorn keep strong is not the geographic but the tradition of success. Yes Carlton has been terrible for a couple of decades, but their success in the 80's and 90's is still recent enough for extant support in large numbers. And of course, the original supporter base was so large back then so they had a lot to start with. People follow the club their parents followed for the most part. As long as your club has success, your membership will naturally grow. Melbourne has been starved of success and hope for too long. We failed to replenish our supporter base over the last 50 years like the clubs that were more successful did. It's not about suburbs. If we had won 6 flags over that time, I'd say we'd have about 50% more members than we do. So, in short, it doesn't matter where we're based. It matters that we get successful. That's the only way to have a promising future.
You’re right in that attracting fans is far more difficult if you are unsuccessful on field. However, I think being unsuccessful on field and being virtually disconnected from the broader community isn’t a particularly smart model. I also think that having the club fragmented with administration here, social club there and split training grounds hasn’t served us particularly well in the pursuit of on field success.

For all of their power, resources and centralised base the Pies have only won one flag in about two decades. Adelaide have great facilities and haven’t won one for 22 years. The point being, flags are bloody tough to win even with great resources. I just think we’re being too militant and effectively dithering because we couldn’t possibly consider having a home base that’s not in the shadow of the MCG. I don’t think it’s very forward thinking.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
You’re right in that attracting fans is far more difficult if you are unsuccessful on field. However, I think being unsuccessful on field and being virtually disconnected from the broader community isn’t a particularly smart model. I also think that having the club fragmented with administration here, social club there and split training grounds hasn’t served us particularly well in the pursuit of on field success.

For all of their power, resources and centralised base the Pies have only won one flag in about two decades. Adelaide have great facilities and haven’t won one for 22 years. The point being, flags are bloody tough to win even with great resources. I just think we’re being too militant and effectively dithering because we couldn’t possibly consider having a home base that’s not in the shadow of the MCG. I don’t think it’s very forward thinking.
Yep all of the above, it’s hard to believe we could have unlimited access to a multi million dollar facility with plans to spend millions more on it but the sticking point is that the poor darlings who represent our club with such distinction cant possibility be asked to get their morning coffee any further east than Malvern.

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yep all of the above, it’s hard to believe we could have unlimited access to a multi million dollar facility with plans to spend millions more on it but the sticking point is that the poor darlings who represent our club with such distinction cant possibility be asked to get their morning coffee any further east than Malvern.

But I don't think people further out than Malvern even know what a cheese board looks like. Absolute scum. Just imagine.

If we're going to go that far out maybe we could find a nice winery somewhere on the Peninsula instead and celebrate successful training sessions with a nice cool climate wine and cheese pairing.

CULTCHA

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I listened to the Sacked podcast this week. Apparently we interviewed Denis Pagan for the job in 92. He was basically told before leaving that he wouldn’t get the job. He said we’d regret it. North made the finals every year from 93-2000, 7 prelims in a row from 94-2000, 3 grand finals and 2 flags. He may have been correct.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
I listened to the Sacked podcast this week. Apparently we interviewed Denis Pagan for the job in 92. He was basically told before leaving that he wouldn’t get the job. He said we’d regret it. North made the finals every year from 93-2000, 7 prelims in a row from 94-2000, 3 grand finals and 2 flags. He may have been correct.
images

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
But I don't think people further out than Malvern even know what a cheese board looks like. Absolute scum. Just imagine.

If we're going to go that far out maybe we could find a nice winery somewhere on the Peninsula instead and celebrate successful training sessions with a nice cool climate wine and cheese pairing.

CULTCHA
I know someone who couldn't afford the 1.2 million dollar property in Malvern so had to settle with buying 1 million dollar property in East Malvern how humiliating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back