Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoss

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Do you understand the process before it gets to an actual vote?

If Goodwin was satisfied with Viney as a captain he wouldn't have called for a vote. Him calling or a vote obviously puts Viney in a practically no win situation, coz it looks like coach is telling the playing group he doesn't deserve it or has no confidence in him and if he bitches about it he's a "bad teammate" .... How would you expect a vote to work out in that situation?

Don't tell me you really think players vote every year to decide a captain for each new season? 😆

Where did I say they vote every year?

He was a terrible captain. Didn't deserve to keep it. The only problem is that we still don't have good leadership at the club - but that's mostly because we don't have a good club. If Viney leaves, it will be because he wants a better club in general, not because of the captaincy. Which is understandable. He knows he'll never win a flag at Melbourne.
Viney had his chance and didn't do very well at the job. He'd have been a great captain in the 70s but not now that the media needs snippets.

JV leaving would be sad, but a strong club would grow from it. Play Brayshaw in the middle every week, take the first round/early second round pick and use it to draft another player with dash in the Rivers mould.

Where did I say they vote every year?

It was the logical thing to assume given you said Viney didn't get dumped as captain,, he was voted out by the player.

It's a similar situation as to what happened with Jones when he got the shits up and felt like he was being rejected when Goody made Viney co captain with him. Jones has said plenty of times that decision by Goody took him a while to get over.

Another example of simple simon being absolutely clueless, changing captains as often as he does his underwear.
Making Viney co-captain was so dumb. All Goodwin had to do was wait a year and tap Jones on the shoulder about his age. Instead he half-arsed it and downgraded Jones' authority whilst somehow expecting him to be the same leader he was. Meanwhile, Viney was meant to try and half lead a club that had been moulded by the guy he had not quite usurped.

Said this at the time and saying it now.

Viney had his chance and didn't do very well at the job. He'd have been a great captain in the 70s but not now that the media needs snippets.

JV leaving would be sad, but a strong club would grow from it. Play Brayshaw in the middle every week, take the first round/early second round pick and use it to draft another player with dash in the Rivers mould.

Why was he made a captain in the first place then? Viney's vocab struggles arent anything new.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
We clearly need a board/presidency change. The fish rots from the head.

Any suggestions as to who would make a good president? I wonder if Peter Jackson would be interested? At least he knows what he's doing and he would be familiar with the club.

I would love to get a president that had the same drive and enthusiasm as Jim Stynes. Even though he was surrounded by some very poor people while he was president, he brought something really special to the club.

In fact, it was the only time that I can recall feeling like I was part of something, instead of just a chump handing over my membership every year.
I agree, and I've probably been sucked in by the current leadership.

My frustration has probably been centred around trusting the fact that if they're seen and not heard, then they're doing something.

Unfortunately hearing this feedback about them is fairly gutting. Be nice to have a long term, competent and successful period in my lifetime. Hearing all the stories about long suffering dees fans when I was a kid is starting to include me, I'll be telling my future kids that I'm one soon.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm 31 and it feels like over half my adult life there has been unhappiness at board level and coups only months away. Geez we are a depressing club.
I just posted above and I'm 33, we probably have the same feeling towards it.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm of the opinion trading Viney would be consanguineous to tapping "Junior Mac" on the shoulder.
He's a passionate Demon. I wouldn't trade him for anyone.
Not only that but he is also a very good footballer.

He needs a few tweaks, probably just focusing on that first give more especially, but you can not doubt his effort and endeavour every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Making Viney co-captain was so dumb. All Goodwin had to do was wait a year and tap Jones on the shoulder about his age. Instead he half-arsed it and downgraded Jones' authority whilst somehow expecting him to be the same leader he was. Meanwhile, Viney was meant to try and half lead a club that had been moulded by the guy he had not quite usurped.

Said this at the time and saying it now.
Hadn't looked at it this way, big difference going into a season 23 as captain.

He needs a few tweaks, probably just focusing on that first give more especially, but you can not doubt his effort and endeavour every week.

A potential top 12 compo pick is mighty temptimg. If Jack walked, I could console myself with it.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power

And there's not too many Dees you'd say that about.

Viney's a star. Missed half a season in 2018 and was a beast when he returned. Looked average in 2019 but I'd lay at least some of the blame on our medical department. One of the few players on our team capable of hurting another player (legally).

We need more hard campaigners on our team.

Having a look at the venues we’ve played at this season compared to St Kilda and the Bulldogs, we certainly got the short straw. Not only we didn’t get a scheduled bye like everyone else. We play in Alice Springs in a night game and 4 days later we are in Cairns while the Saints got a bye. By the time the game finish we had him get a 2 hour flight back to Brissy and a hour drive to the Sunshine Coast, we wouldn’t of been back in our hub until at least 3am to 6am in the morning and then have a game in Cairns 3 days later. Sydney got to Cairns 2 days before the game, we got up there 5 hours before, no wonder we were flat.

Saints and the Dogs got to play 4 games at their home Marvel stadium then established home grounds at the Gabba and Metricon respectively, we didn’t play any venue more than 3 times while travelling all over the place. Saints jumped on a plane for games twice, once to Adelaide and once to Alice.

Anyway after losing to Sydney I didn’t think we deserve a finals spot above these clubs, but looking at the fixture if we finish above one of these two then we deserve it.

Melbourne
Optus 1
Marvel 1
MCG 2
Giants stadium 2
Metricon 3
Gabba 3
Ade oval 2
Alice 1
Cairns 2

St Kilda
Marvel 4
MCG 1
Metricon 3
Adelaide oval 2
Gabba 6
Alice 1

Bulldogs
Marvel 4
SCG 1
Metricon 8
Adelaide oval 2
Gabba 1
Cairns 1

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
And there's not too many Dees you'd say that about.

Viney's a star. Missed half a season in 2018 and was a beast when he returned. Looked average in 2019 but I'd lay at least some of the blame on our medical department. One of the few players on our team capable of hurting another player (legally).

We need more hard campaigners on our team.
Absolutely, and after 15 rebuilds I'm amazed that "effort" still determines my most liked players.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
A potential top 12 compo pick is mighty temptimg. If Jack walked, I could console myself with it.
Nah, not this year. Guessing for half the recruits, and going off 2019 form the other half. I don't really want to lose him regardless, but if it was a more exposed year with a decent draft class.. perhaps.

Let's be honest, we all know how it goes anyway. Draft Harry Petty's taller, more defendier brother or an "Ollie wines clone".

Let's be honest, we all know how it goes anyway. Draft Harry Petty's taller, more defendier brother or an "Ollie wines clone".
Yah just like Jackson, Pickett and Rivers.

We have good recruiters, especially when their picks aren't being spent on third talls and they're allowed to use them.

We clearly need a board/presidency change. The fish rots from the head.

Any suggestions as to who would make a good president? I wonder if Peter Jackson would be interested? At least he knows what he's doing and he would be familiar with the club.

I would love to get a president that had the same drive and enthusiasm as Jim Stynes. Even though he was surrounded by some very poor people while he was president, he brought something really special to the club.

In fact, it was the only time that I can recall feeling like I was part of something, instead of just a chump handing over my membership every year.
IMO Bartlett has done a better job that Jimmy did. The people Jim put around him were a horror show, and then he held on when he was ill. Love the man, but a Messiah isn't the answer. Bartlett has kept his mouth shut for 7 years, which I like from a President, and actually go a good reaction when he burned the players.

Having said that, I don't think he's been particularly good. We just had two outstanding football operators in Roos and Jackson, and when PJ left in 2018 the rot began.

Nah, not this year. Guessing for half the recruits, and going off 2019 form the other half. I don't really want to lose him regardless, but if it was a more exposed year with a decent draft class.. perhaps.

If Jacks a free agent and he wants to go tho it's not up to what we want. That was my point.

I was unaware there was one year between 2017 and 2020

No, I meant, Goody must have still loved him last year, or he wouldn't have been captain? That's why you said he was appointed in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back