Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 3, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Having a look at the venues we’ve played at this season compared to St Kilda and the Bulldogs, we certainly got the short straw. Not only we didn’t get a scheduled bye like everyone else. We play in Alice Springs in a night game and 4 days later we are in Cairns while the Saints got a bye. By the time the game finish we had him get a 2 hour flight back to Brissy and a hour drive to the Sunshine Coast, we wouldn’t of been back in our hub until at least 3am to 6am in the morning and then have a game in Cairns 3 days later. Sydney got to Cairns 2 days before the game, we got up there 5 hours before, no wonder we were flat.

Saints and the Dogs got to play 4 games at their home Marvel stadium then established home grounds at the Gabba and Metricon respectively, we didn’t play any venue more than 3 times while travelling all over the place. Saints jumped on a plane for games twice, once to Adelaide and once to Alice.

Anyway after losing to Sydney I didn’t think we deserve a finals spot above these clubs, but looking at the fixture if we finish above one of these two then we deserve it.

Melbourne
Optus 1
Marvel 1
MCG 2
Giants stadium 2
Metricon 3
Gabba 3
Ade oval 2
Alice 1
Cairns 2

St Kilda
Marvel 4
MCG 1
Metricon 3
Adelaide oval 2
Gabba 6
Alice 1

Bulldogs
Marvel 4
SCG 1
Metricon 8
Adelaide oval 2
Gabba 1
Cairns 1
Travel is a s**t excuse for such pathetic performances when you're playing for finals. Poverty clubs cling onto s**t like that. We were just too s**t regardless of travel.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yah just like Jackson, Pickett and Rivers.

We have good recruiters, especially when their picks aren't being spent on third talls and they're allowed to use them.
I was being facetious.

But if you want a go, have a look at 2018 draft.

Sparrow, Jordan, Neitschke.

I was being facetious.

But if you want a go, have a look at 2018 draft.

Sparrow, Jordan, Neitschke.
Picks 27, 33 and 53 from two years ago? What's your point?

Travel is a sh*t excuse for such pathetic performances when you're playing for finals. Poverty clubs cling onto sh*t like that. We were just too sh*t regardless of travel.
It’s not an excuse, it’s a reality that people don’t perform at their best when they are tired.

No one at the club has made it an excuse. Reality is we had a harder fixture than most if not out of all clubs. All I’m saying is if we make finals we deserve it.

deeco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 3, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
It’s not an excuse, it’s a reality that people don’t perform at their best when they are tired.

No one at the club has made it an excuse. Reality is we had a harder fixture than most if not out of all clubs. All I’m saying is if we make finals we deserve it.
Maybe Freddy Kafoop's kid kept everyone on the other team from getting their 8hrs sleep. Club wants to be ruthless (god that is going to bite Goody on the arse when he gets fired next year) gotta be beating sides like the Swans and Freo when finals are on the line regardless of tiredness. Wouldn't even bring our schedule into it as a reason for under performance.

Maybe Freddy Kafoop's kid kept everyone on the other team from getting their 8hrs sleep. Club wants to be ruthless (god that is going to bite Goody on the arse when he gets fired next year) gotta be beating sides like the Swans and Freo when finals are on the line regardless of tiredness. Wouldn't even bring our schedule into it as a reason for under performance.
100% gotta beat Swans and Fremantle, but you can’t deny playing in Alice Springs and only getting back to the hub 3 days before the game against Sydney in Cairns won’t have a physical effect on the players. Game against Freo we were beaten by the better side.

We’ve done it tougher than any other side this year, we haven’t established a home ground at any venue like other clubs have. 3 out of 17 games is the most we played at any venue.

if we make finals we deserve it.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
North were playing half back flankers on Hogan. Like we did with Hibberd matching up on him a bit. It's kinda sad, he's not an aerial threat at all anymore.

If we play finals and give ourselves a chance on the day is anyone really going to give a * if we lost to Sydney and Freo in Australia’s biggest shithole? Cairns is one of the worst places I’ve ever been, what happens there barely counts towards reality. If Freo beat the Dogs as well we definitely deserve to make it if we can beat Essendon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
I couldn't disagree with you any more.

Terrible captain, why? Coz he can't speak for sh*t?
That certainly doesn't help.

You can inspire teammates in other ways than words.

You can, but did he? I don't recall our performances lifting under Viney's leadership in 2019. Combine that with his renowned lack of vocab and you've got a pretty unimpressive captain. Don't forget a captain also has to front the media and talk to the fans. He just wasn't suited to that, for the reasons you describe.

He played more like a captain onfield than Gawn ever has.
Not sure about that. Hard to quantify.

The only good season we've had in the past 12 years is when Jack was captain.
Hang on, that was the year when he only played 10 games. In 2019 when he played 21 games, we finished 2nd last. Not sure that's strong evidence for his captaincy.

He's not premiership chasing. He's clearly got the shits up with Goodwin.
It's his right to do what he likes. I'm not advocating we ship him off - only that he was not an effective captain.

We clearly need a board/presidency change. The fish rots from the head.

Any suggestions as to who would make a good president? I wonder if Peter Jackson would be interested? At least he knows what he's doing and he would be familiar with the club.

I would love to get a president that had the same drive and enthusiasm as Jim Stynes. Even though he was surrounded by some very poor people while he was president, he brought something really special to the club.

In fact, it was the only time that I can recall feeling like I was part of something, instead of just a chump handing over my membership every year.
Stockdale the best bet. Knows success and drives it. Should have gotten it in 2013.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
You guys remember the Kreuzer cup? Funny to think back on after all these years with the recent retirement
He retires being a very average player.

Feel for the bloke, had he have had a decent run with injury, could have been very solid/good.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
You guys remember the Kreuzer cup? Funny to think back on after all these years with the recent retirement

After all the tanking and trying to finish bottom the 5 number one picks were Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Scully, Watts

Even at their prime that's not a top 4 midfield this year.

In fact between them there was 63 seasons played for 1 AA.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
After all the tanking and trying to finish bottom the 5 number one picks were Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Scully, Watts

Even at their prime that's not a top 4 midfield this year.

In fact between them there was 63 seasons played for 1 AA.
Yet Richmond who were arguably screwed twice by tanking (2007 & 2009), got Cotchin and Martin. Two Brownlows, a stack of AAs and pivotal players in two flags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back