Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real picture of Topkent and his date having a romantic evening watching the Dees.

man-watching-football-while-his-girlfriend-is-sitting-besides-him-bored_109710-843.jpg

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Real picture of Topkent and his date having a romantic evening watching the Dees.

man-watching-football-while-his-girlfriend-is-sitting-besides-him-bored_109710-843.jpg
No s**t watched the Freo game with a girl and sulked the whole way through it almost until near the end. Which is weird because I haven't really cared about footy for a while but this year is different for some reason.

No sh*t watched the Freo game with a girl and sulked the whole way through it almost until near the end. Which is weird because I haven't really cared about footy for a while but this year is different for some reason.

Yeah I really like footy this year for some reason too. Not sure what it could be.

1619134651157.png

Haha nah tbf even during the Freo game before u knew we were ok I could tell. Might be the crowds being back making me appreciate more.
It's the crowds being back, normal length quarters and normal length season (so far) that has brought back the enjoyment for me. And I was sceptical of the new rule changes (stand rule and reduced interchange) but they have worked a treat - particularly reduced interchange. Good players are on the ground for longer, and the games tend to open up as they go on. I'm sure the dees winning helps too.

Last year was basically the BBL for footy. Shortened games, condensed fixtures etc.For obvious reasons. That combined with no crowds really made it feel like a year long pre-season cup and my interest was gone pretty early. Only watched dees games. Watching a lot more neutral games now and enjoying them.

Yeah I really like footy this year for some reason too. Not sure what it could be.

I had to tell a 22 year Melbourne member last night that we were 5-0. She hadn’t seen a minute of footy coverage.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
No sh*t watched the Freo game with a girl and sulked the whole way through it almost until near the end. Which is weird because I haven't really cared about footy for a while but this year is different for some reason.
I hate when you have to watch a game with somebody else who's not into football and try to stay positive about watching it so they don't crack it or leave. You can't swear at the TV because you have to show them you're having fun together. :rolleyes:

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's the crowds being back, normal length quarters and normal length season (so far) that has brought back the enjoyment for me. And I was sceptical of the new rule changes (stand rule and reduced interchange) but they have worked a treat - particularly reduced interchange. Good players are on the ground for longer, and the games tend to open up as they go on. I'm sure the dees winning helps too.

Last year was basically the BBL for footy. Shortened games, condensed fixtures etc.For obvious reasons. That combined with no crowds really made it feel like a year long pre-season cup and my interest was gone pretty early. Only watched dees games. Watching a lot more neutral games now and enjoying them.
The longer quarters felt like ages at first, but because the footy has been good it's not noticeable any more. Particularly that last quarter vs the hawks.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I hate when you have to watch a game with somebody else who's not into football and try to stay positive about watching it so they don't crack it or leave. You can't swear at the TV because you have to show them you're having fun together. :rolleyes:
And footy turns me back into a ******* child sometimes, bloody Brayshaw boots one on the full and I'm punching my couch yelling for * sake.
Can't even enjoy the games until late in the last when it's over either

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I watched a few games while staying with my Mum. In 2019.

It was a horror show. Worse than following the main board GD thread. I swear she is some kind of troll.

“Why do the red and blue players all seem to be close to each other all the time while the other team is spread across the oval?” ... “Your players often drop the ball or crash into each other. Are they meant to catch it?” ... “The man with the long beard seems to be limping” ... “Oh has your team lost now? Chin up, it’s not the end of the world”.

She is very lucky to be alive. Having said that, her analysis was probably slightly superior to BTs

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
I watched a few games while staying with my Mum. In 2019.

It was a horror show. Worse than following the main board GD thread. I swear she is some kind of troll.

“Why do the red and blue players all seem to be close to each other all the time while the other team is spread across the oval?” ... “Your players often drop the ball or crash into each other. Are they meant to catch it?” ... “The man with the long beard seems to be limping” ... “Oh has your team lost now? Chin up, it’s not the end of the world”.

She is very lucky to be alive. Having said that, her analysis was probably slightly superior to BTs

Wow. I watched the GWS 2019 game with my in-laws. Suicide was on the table at halftime.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
I'm just loving that we've got an American adopting the word "mate" in a completely authentic way. :thumbsu:

I love the word. I also follow epl, where it is preeminent. And at some point in the last 12-18 months I just decided it was going to get used with my American friends. They giggled at first. But now everyone uses it.

Keen to keep an eye out on how we fair with kickouts tomorrow night. We are massively predictable still (bomb it long to Gawn or Jackson). Feels like something a team like Richmond could exploit. Gawn has been amazing. Not something that will work as often that it has for us vs the very good teams if we continue to do it tho surely.

Just thinking ahead - North play over in this part of the country this weekend, and are due to play us in Hobart next weekend. Right now the Tasmanian state government has classed Perth as a high risk area. From their government website:

"Travellers who have spent time in a high-risk area or premises in the 14 days before arriving in Tasmania are not permitted to enter Tasmania, unless approved as an Essential Traveller."

As an essential traveller, they'll still be required to do 14 days of quarantine unless on compassionate grounds, which isn't exactly applicable here.

I'm guessing the Tasmanian government will provide an exemption, as right now the game can't go ahead based on their own rules.

Otherwise we might be rocking up at Marvel for this match instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back