General MFC discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope the AFL gets a tonne of Muslim and Asian and Lebanese support and everything it's after in western Sydney because the games losing support in the heartland
Is it? That's a genuine question because I don't know much about supporter stats

Is it? That's a genuine question because I don't know much about supporter stats
Nah going on the vibe, I don't think the fans are as fanatical as they were 20 years ago
There's no rivalry left in footy cause the afl has killed it, the commentary is bland and takes the focus away from the game, the same 4 clubs finish in the top 4 every year whilst expansion sides go up and down the ladder at will, the players have no personality and the fan engagement is at an all time low
Marry that up with the fact that the rules have changed so much that it's literally a completely different game from 20 years ago and I can see a problem
People used to love the game because it was so different to soccer and rugby, it was tough their was no diving or flopping and their were characters with genuine skill
Now it's not the same game
I've gone off on a proper tangent again but I'd be concerned

Nah going on the vibe, I don't think the fans are as fanatical as they were 20 years ago
There's no rivalry left in footy cause the afl has killed it, the commentary is bland and takes the focus away from the game, the same 4 clubs finish in the top 4 every year whilst expansion sides go up and down the ladder at will, the players have no personality and the fan engagement is at an all time low
Marry that up with the fact that the rules have changed so much that it's literally a completely different game from 20 years ago and I can see a problem
People used to love the game because it was so different to soccer and rugby, it was tough their was no diving or flopping and their were characters with genuine skill
Now it's not the same game
I've gone off on a proper tangent again but I'd be concerned
It's not a crazy POV. There is more commentary on everything but less actual game. There is no analysis at all in the media, it's all about likeability or scandal. I got a bit surprised on the weekend because I was watching other random teams playing, neutral obviously, and I got into barracking for a couple of kids that showed a bit of grunt. And I suddenly wondered where that instinct has gone. The just enjoying competition and good players bit. You don't get the chance obviously, but I have some friends that go to VFL rather than AFL these days. I haven't joined them but I get where they are coming from. The AFL package can get too much sometimes.

On-field the Lion's list now is much better than ours in 2013 both in output and potential.

For me it isn't even a comparison.

Lions mids are Beams, Zorko, Rockliff etc. these are genuine A, high B graders. In 2013 it was really just Jones and no one else. That Terlich came 3rd in our bnf that year says everything.

Their forward line of Schade, Hipwood, Hammalman(?) and other talls like Andrews and McStay have enormous potential. In 2013 we had James Sellar and Cam Pederson fighting for the second key forward spot behind our main goalless forward Chris Dawes, as Clark was always injured. Our most promising key forward was Lucas Cook....

In terms of players leaving, yes they've lost some promising ones through homesickness, but they've also gained Beams and Bell from it, one superstar and 1 very good player.

With proper coaching and development, persistence, and faith I reckon they could turn their on field performance around quite quickly. They've got their own academy also which helps.

Off-field however is a different story....

It's not a crazy POV. There is more commentary on everything but less actual game. There is no analysis at all in the media, it's all about likeability or scandal. I got a bit surprised on the weekend because I was watching other random teams playing, neutral obviously, and I got into barracking for a couple of kids that showed a bit of grunt. And I suddenly wondered where that instinct has gone. The just enjoying competition and good players bit. You don't get the chance obviously, but I have some friends that go to VFL rather than AFL these days. I haven't joined them but I get where they are coming from. The AFL package can get too much sometimes.

We just had multicultural round? Like for * sake I'm sick of hearing about an issue that is a problem with 5% of the population all the time being rammed down my throat
If I wanted to here about that all the time I'd join a ******* Facebook group
Their used to be genuine passion on the AFL field, I would grab a thing of popcorn and sit down before the Hawks bombers games ready to be entertained
Now the players are laughing and cuddling after the game as well, how are fans supposed to get passionate when their is none on field
Your right about watching grunt
Barry Hall and Fraser Gehrig and Brendan Fevola were great examples, you could have a locked off camera on them all day and it was pure entertainment .. didn't have to hear the AFL telling us how watching the full forward and full back wrestling was bad for the kids because it used to be an entertainment business .. now it's just a business

Watch the last 10 minutes of this game and tell me footy wasnt better in every way
Commentary, Atmosphere and Style of play.. remember this was the 'Ugly" era
70000 fans and these 2 were down the bottom of the ladder, if they played these days it would get 40000 while they were both at the bottom because the entertainment is gone

Last edited:
We just had multicultural round? Like for **** sake I'm sick of hearing about an issue that is a problem with 5% of the population all the time being rammed down my throat
If I wanted to here about that all the time I'd join a ******* Facebook group
Their used to be genuine passion on the AFL field, I would grab a thing of popcorn and sit down before the Hawks bombers games ready to be entertained
Now the players are laughing and cuddling after the game as well, how are fans supposed to get passionate when their is none on field
Your right about watching grunt
Barry Hall and Fraser Gehrig and Brendan Fevola were great examples, you could have a locked off camera on them all day and it was pure entertainment .. didn't have to hear the AFL telling us how watching the full forward and full back wrestling was bad for the kids because it used to be an entertainment business .. now it's just a business

Watch the last 10 minutes of this game and tell me footy wasnt better in every way
Commentary, Atmosphere and Style of play.. remember this was the 'Ugly" era
70000 fans and these 2 were down the bottom of the ladder, if they played these days it would get 40000 while they were both at the bottom because the entertainment is gone

I watched it and there is merit in what you say.

Sensational game and just tough - no commentary hanging out for a circus trick that they can elevate into a mystical event. And the commentary team are so so much better than now it makes me want to weep. And I'd forgotten how much I used to love Fev - early on in the clip is a reminder. I think you are right about just a business. And while nothing much is going to stop me watching, but the hyper drama over every nuance of preferred players performances will wear very thin.

Also, I've never really understood the "ugly" football thing. Ugly is when there are no skills on display - think Dees v Lions last year. I've never really thought about stoppage or tough defenders as being ugly. As long as is skilled football I don't really mind. I can take or leave the media but I wish they would stop telling me which games and which players I am obliged to like. It's annoying.

I watched it and there is merit in what you say.

Sensational game and just tough - no commentary hanging out for a circus trick that they can elevate into a mystical event. And the commentary team are so so much better than now it makes me want to weep. And I'd forgotten how much I used to love Fev - early on in the clip is a reminder. I think you are right about just a business. And while nothing much is going to stop me watching, but the hyper drama over every nuance of preferred players performances will wear very thin.

Also, I've never really understood the "ugly" football thing. Ugly is when there are no skills on display - think Dees v Lions last year. I've never really thought about stoppage or tough defenders as being ugly. As long as is skilled football I don't really mind. I can take or leave the media but I wish they would stop telling me which games and which players I am obliged to like. It's annoying.

Real tough, no one grabbing an arm for a high free kick and no one flopping at the knees
2 blokes going for the footy instead of one going for the footy and the other standing back to tackle him and get a holding the ball decision
The commentators never detracted from the action by making it about themselves with stupid catch phrases or wanking over a single player doing * all
Crowd noise is turned right up, sounds like there was a million people there
Fevola was worth the price of admission, its sad that we will never see another player like him again because the AFL is an SJW now and the image is more important than the product
Its pure business, another 20 years of these boring modern day footballers and the AFL will fall behind soccer in this country because its lost its personality
I honestly find the over the back goal the most ugly part of modern day footy, I absolutely despise it because it takes no skill and doesnt highlight any of the things than make AFL a good sport except that one bloke was fit enough to sprint in behind a zone
There was nothing better than watching Fev charge at the footy from the goalsquare, amazing set of hands and the most beautiful kicking action you could ever see

I dont care if they have to make the rotations zero, they need to do anything they can to bring back the footballer and get rid of the athlete
Wheres the forward craft these days? Josh Jenkins could be paid nearly 800k a year to spring to the middle and then spring back towards the goal and kick one from the square

Yeah hunts defensive work and pressure is awesome but his meters gained is a little inflated because of his tendency to bomb it long ... for instance I bet Brent Moloney would have had high meters gained but they weren't damaging once Robbo retired but yeah hunts gonna bet one soon
Mills played in defence for the cats and I thought he had more of an impact on the result

I feel the same about Dangerfield.. yet he is still Brownlow favourite haha.

P.S. Tom Gillies

I wonder who their Tom Gillies is?

and now we play the waiting game.... :sunglasses:
85494186.jpg

As an aside, I wonder if some sysadmin has wondered about the continued use of a cat hissing on a sports forum.

I've got a gripe, but I don't dare say it because you pricks are going to go all Tom Gillies on my ass and I'll never hear the end of it...

(yes, I'm aware this post has no purpose whatsoever)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel the same about Dangerfield.. yet he is still Brownlow favourite haha.

P.S. Tom Gillies
I actually totally agree with this.. For a bloke who is supposedly the best player in the competition his kicking is atrocious... He hardly ever hits up someone perfectly on the lead leading straight up at him because he bloody can't.. He just gets it, runs as fast as he can and blasts away

As an aside, I wonder if some sysadmin has wondered about the continued use of a cat hissing on a sports forum.
Why don't you acknowledge my Gillies! You've changed

Mod burn-out.

Notice how CJ, Crimson, RandB and the Puppet have gone all quiet of late? They got Striker what seemed like a profile gig but now they're all lounging around, feet up watching nubile maidens peeling grapes.

I literally do it based on seeing it on BF. You guys are posting like I'm some sort of god. While I am, being a sexual god doesn't help me on an internet forum.

I literally do it based on seeing it on BF. You guys are posting like I'm some sort of god. While I am, being a sexual god doesn't help me on an internet forum.
I though you were a super computer that scanned for the word Gillies

It will be interesting to see who gets delisted this year. At the moment I'd say Terlich is the only one that's certain to go. Next in line would probably be Newton, Kennedy-Harris (contracted), Lumumba (contracted), Dawes (coach favourite), M. Jones (coach favourite), Trengove (fan favourite). The good form of Wagner and perhaps White will make spots even tighter. Good problem to have I suppose.

Not sure were to put it because it's not really MFC related now or that it's interesting. But Gutnick has filed for bankruptcy

Mod burn-out.

Notice how CJ, Crimson, RandB and the Puppet have gone all quiet of late? They got Striker what seemed like a profile gig but now they're all lounging around, feet up watching nubile maidens peeling grapes.
You know, that's exactly the picture I had imagined in my mind, but it's good to have it confirmed by somebody else. ;)

I mentioned it last year and I'll say it again
The reason Garland isn't in the side is the same reason I reckon we dropped Grimes early and reprogrammed him
Our defenders don't kick goals
Looking at the dogs and Biggs, Suckling and Johanesson have kicked 15 goals between them which is an extra goal a game that we don't get because ours have kicked 2 salem/Hunt
I reckon the hope will be with Melksham and Hunt and Co that they attack more than the senior guys they replaced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back