General MFC discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Same champion data that says we have the worst midfield in the AFL though ....

It also has Nick Haynes, Allir Allir and Josh Gibson in the top 10 .. none of which are key defenders
Aliir is a KPD.

Gibson sure as hell ain't a KPD... gets his pants pulled down when left accountable to a decent key forward!
IE when Hawthorn are too cute and pull Frawley late :D

He will be a KPD but I don't agree he is in the best 10 Key backs right now, if we played the Eagles tomorrow I'd prefer Frost over Allir on Kennedy
I'm with TK, while Aliir is KPD size, and therefore classified in that category, the reason he's rated so highly in it is because he was playing that quarter back role and racking them up while losely taking the 3rd or 4th forward.

I'm with TK, while Aliir is KPD size, and therefore classified in that category, the reason he's rated so highly in it is because he was playing that quarter back role and racking them up while losely taking the 3rd or 4th forward.

Agree to disagree - yes he's ranked that high because he was playing loosely on weaker forwards last season, but he's a KPD (albeit an inexperienced, raw one).

Agree to disagree - yes he's ranked that high because he was playing loosely on weaker forwards last season, but he's a KPD (albeit an inexperienced, raw one).
He's as much of a KPD as watts is a KPF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds about right, I reckon.

I'd take Phil Davis over TMac. Davis is easily in the top few KPD in the comp. Not having a go at TMac. I like him and feel he is an integral part of our team. But Davis is a gun. I'd possibly take May ahead of TMac as well from those below him on the list. But where is Talia from Adelaide? For me he is the 2nd best defender in the competition! Throw in Hurley who will be back this year, and TMac moves down to possibly 6th or 7th best defender in the comp.

Agree to disagree (assuming it's implied Watts isn't a KPF?) ;)
Watts isn't a KPF. That's why he didn't play well for years, because we thought he was
Just because a player is a certain height/build doesn't make them x position. How and where they play is what matters

I completely agree.

I also agree to disagree that Aliir isn't a KPD.
Cop out. If you want to discuss it, make a point as to why he's a KPD. He doesn't play as a KPD, so show why he is one

If your point is because of his build, i have the build of a ruck, but am not a ruck, and play full back or back pocket. It would be incorrect to call me a ruckman.

Cop out. If you want to discuss it, make a point as to why he's a KPD. He doesn't play as a KPD, so show why he is one

If your point is because of his build, i have the build of a ruck, but am not a ruck, and play full back or back pocket. It would be incorrect to call me a ruckman.
He's a KPD because he was actually responsible for the 2nd tall while Rampe played as the interceptor by the time the finals rocked around. Aliir was getting a lot of disposals but not getting the marks - he was receiving the handball across halfback and moving the ball on but not taking those intercepts.

Early on they were reversed with Aliir playing as the intercept as Rampe had been playing as the #2 KPD, but Longmire switched their roles in the last month of H&A to huge effect.

He played on Patton and Lobb in the qualifying final against GWS, played on Jenkins against Adelaide in the Semi final.

He's a KPD because he was actually responsible for the 2nd tall while Rampe played as the interceptor by the time the finals rocked around. Aliir was getting a lot of disposals but not getting the marks - he was receiving the handball across halfback and moving the ball on but not taking those intercepts.

Early on they were reversed with Aliir playing as the intercept as Rampe had been playing as the #2 KPD, but Longmire switched their roles in the last month of H&A to huge effect.
I'd disagree, laidler and Ramos largely took the second forward while aliir played a flank/pocket Gibson style role. People read too much into team sheets
Sydney really only have one actual KPD, they play team defense

I'd disagree, laidler and Ramos largely took the second forward while aliir played a flank/pocket Gibson style role. People read too much into team sheets
Sydney really only have one actual KPD, they play team defense
Wasn't reading the team sheets themselves, going off mix of eye test and stat sheets.

That said, I do agree that it's primarily a team defence. But when there's two true KPFs (such as GWS or Adelaide) he definitely takes the #2 as the other two don't have the height or leap of Aliir.

He played on Patton and Lobb in the qualifying final against GWS, played on Jenkins against Adelaide in the Semi final.
I saw him mainly on lobb, in the QF, who would be GWS third tall
Didn't see the Adelaide semi, so not willing to comment on where he played

Wasn't reading the team sheets themselves, going off mix of eye test and stat sheets.

That said, I do agree that it's primarily a team defence. But when there's two true KPFs (such as GWS or Adelaide) he definitely takes the #2 as the other two don't have the height or leap of Aliir.
My reasoning of him not taking them was that the other two have the experience and body to handle it, a leap isn't top of priorities in a KPD.

My reasoning of him not taking them was that the other two have the experience and body to handle it, a leap isn't top of priorities in a KPD.

Yeah but body v height too. Laidler would give up huge height to a Walker/Jenkins compared to Aliir for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back