news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

There are champion clauses I believe. If a fighter is signed up at $40k to show and $40k to win, that may be bumped up to $100k to show in a title fight and $250k to show as champion. I seriously doubt Dillashaw would have signed a contract after his last fight for $25k to show. I would guess that this was his salary prior to upsetting Barao for the belt and he hasn't had a chance to re-negociate yet.
Does anyone know how long ultimate fighter contracts are? Could it be 8 fights? So maybe he flipped back onto the last fight of his contract after losing his title? It surely couldnt be more than 8.

Either way poor form from the ufc to not just up his deal.

Does anyone know how long ultimate fighter contracts are? Could it be 8 fights? So maybe he flipped back onto the last fight of his contract after losing his title? It surely couldnt be more than 8.

Either way poor form from the ufc to not just up his deal.

Pretty sure they are 6 fights at just over $16k each.

So he must have signed the deal. Hmm thats poor from his manager.

No doubt he signed the deal, but coming off his TUF contract he wasn't considered anywhere near the fighter he is now. $25k+ $25k is a decent step up from 16 and 16 for a middling fighter.

I thought that TUF contracts were 1 year/3 fight/6 figure contracts? So about $35k per fight, which could be 17/17 for show and win incentives.

I could have sworn they were longer, but could well be wrong.

I've just got to come to terms with the fact that MMA isn't really a sport. It's more like pro wrestling than it is basketball. The results aren't predetermined in MMA, but it's so much closer to sports entertainment than it is a pure sport. Dan Henderson getting a title shot perfectly represents what MMA is and so be it.
I've always been okay with MMA not being a sport. Prize fighting has always been as much about entertainment as it is sport. The closest any major combat sport has came to being a pure sport was the yearly K-1 GPs in the 90s and 2000s and even they had plenty of flaws.

From Wiki

"TUF winner who goes 9– 0 can earn $300,000 total on the contract, but only $150,000 is guaranteed for all"

Don't forget a BRAND NEW Harley!!

Corey Anderson who won TUF 19 made $8k to show and win at the TUF finale. In his first fight post TUF he made $15k to show and win (at UFC 181) and recently made $20k to show and win at UFC 198. The wiki article you referenced states that the first year of the contract for a TUF winner is $12k to show and win. I believe that reference came from the first three seasons of the show which means in 20 season's of TUF, we've seen a $3k rise in the first year of pay despite the enormous growth in the sport!

As for Dillashaw, he earned $18k to show and win in his first title fight against Barao. To be fair, he was only one fight removed from a loss to Assuncao at the time and had never been on a PPV before, let alone headlined one. His payout at 200 makes it pretty clear he's gone back to his old contract terms which is pretty disrespectful for one of the top fighters in the world.

I couldn't find a Fight Pass thread, so I just thought I'd post some questions soon.

As I've mentioned here before, I've been watching MMA since the PRIDE days. But with the massive explosion from monthly events to up to 3 events a month in 2013/14, then with the series of snakebitten cards in 2014/15, I found it hard to keep up.

However, since I went to 193 last year I've gotten really, really into it again and I'm looking at Fight Pass. I'd love to be able to (legally) rewatch some of the fights from the last few months, and as disappointing as it turned out I was spewing that I missed the recent Fedor fight.

I'd be grateful if people could help me out with some questions:

- It's 80 bucks a year here - is that equivalent to what it costs in the US? And has it always been that price, or has the price increased?

- Given how much we get on Fox Sports in Australia, including Friday's card which was a Fight Pass card in the US but was on Fox Sports here, are there enormous benefits to getting Fight Pass? I know we missed some prelim fights over the weekend (which included Lauzon & Mousasi with the 2 best finishes of the 200 card) - but how much other additional stuff is there? (Tbh, UFC are already pumping out more than enough content - so sans something like the Fedor card, I'm not likely to watch additional promotions like Invicta.)

- I think the PPV cards are available 3 months after the event? Is that right?

- How long do you wait for FS1 shows, TUF etc? (I would've kept the JJ/Gardelha fight on IQ, but cos the event ran a little long it went across 2 recordings :( )

- Am I correct in thinking you can order PPVs through Fight Pass? Are they the same price? Have there ever been known/widespread issues with the stream? (Obviously I feel quite bitten by what happened on Main Event on Sunday!)

- If you have experience with it, do you actually recommend it? Or is the Fox Sports coverage here enough? 80 bucks a year is pretty damn cheap... but it's just money wasted if we don't get a lot over and above what is already available to us.

Cheers lads, hopefully someone is happy to help :)

They used to always mention the '6 figure contract' when announcing the winners. They never mentioned how little they would ear but rather sensationalise the fact they would ear at least 100k. Little do most know they might be drip fed over multiple fights.

I would love to see the earning history of all those who progressed from TUF to the UFC.

I couldn't find a Fight Pass thread, so I just thought I'd post some questions soon.

As I've mentioned here before, I've been watching MMA since the PRIDE days. But with the massive explosion from monthly events to up to 3 events a month in 2013/14, then with the series of snakebitten cards in 2014/15, I found it hard to keep up.

However, since I went to 193 last year I've gotten really, really into it again and I'm looking at Fight Pass. I'd love to be able to (legally) rewatch some of the fights from the last few months, and as disappointing as it turned out I was spewing that I missed the recent Fedor fight.

I'd be grateful if people could help me out with some questions:

- It's 80 bucks a year here - is that equivalent to what it costs in the US? And has it always been that price, or has the price increased?

- Given how much we get on Fox Sports in Australia, including Friday's card which was a Fight Pass card in the US but was on Fox Sports here, are there enormous benefits to getting Fight Pass? I know we missed some prelim fights over the weekend (which included Lauzon & Mousasi with the 2 best finishes of the 200 card) - but how much other additional stuff is there? (Tbh, UFC are already pumping out more than enough content - so sans something like the Fedor card, I'm not likely to watch additional promotions like Invicta.)

- I think the PPV cards are available 3 months after the event? Is that right?

- How long do you wait for FS1 shows, TUF etc? (I would've kept the JJ/Gardelha fight on IQ, but cos the event ran a little long it went across 2 recordings :( )

- Am I correct in thinking you can order PPVs through Fight Pass? Are they the same price? Have there ever been known/widespread issues with the stream? (Obviously I feel quite bitten by what happened on Main Event on Sunday!)

- If you have experience with it, do you actually recommend it? Or is the Fox Sports coverage here enough? 80 bucks a year is pretty damn cheap... but it's just money wasted if we don't get a lot over and above what is already available to us.

Cheers lads, hopefully someone is happy to help :)

- No idea what the cost is in the US, but I believe I pay about $10 per month since my sign up. If it's now $80 per year, it's dropped.

- There's heaps of stuff on there. If you're not interested in other promotions though, you'll be able to see the majority of the UFC stuff on Fox Sports.

- Yep, PPV's are available after 3 months.

- Not 100% sure on this one as it seems to vary. I believe there is some sort of licensing arrangement with foxtel, so if it's not a fight pass exclusive card there's a bit of a wait. I don't believe it's more than a day or two, but someone else should know the answer.

- You can, but they are just under $100. Needless to say I've never ordered one on there so can't comment on the stream. I have streamed their exclusive prelims though and have never had an issue with the stream or the quality.

- If you're massively in to MMA, then yes. Pride, WEC and Strikeforce cards are all on there as well as UFC, so it's just as good for nostalgia's sake as it is for streaming live content.

They used to always mention the '6 figure contract' when announcing the winners. They never mentioned how little they would ear but rather sensationalise the fact they would ear at least 100k. Little do most know they might be drip fed over multiple fights.

I would love to see the earning history of all those who progressed from TUF to the UFC.

It may surprise you to find out the highest disclosed pay belongs to a former TUF winner (at least according to the below link).

http://mma-manifesto.com/ufc-fighter-salary-database/salary-main/ufc-career-fighter-earnings.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"There aint nothin to say, the reality of it, its down to war like, i, he, he aint even, he aint even alive, like i own all his s**t"

-Nate Diaz

I love this dude haha

The greatest promo ever cut.

Actually feel bad for the guy tbh. He's way too tough for his own good, I would be shocked if he lives a good life after the age of 50, it's like a 5 year old talking half the time

Actually feel bad for the guy tbh. He's way too tough for his own good, I would be shocked if he lives a good life after the age of 50, it's like a 5 year old talking half the time
Are you implying the way he speaks is due to head trauma?
Because its not.. him and his brother have always been this way, especially when being interviewed.
They are very uncomfortable in front of media, and that vid is probably the most intense media situation he could be put in.

Are you implying the way he speaks is due to head trauma?
Because its not.. him and his brother have always been this way, especially when being interviewed.
They are very uncomfortable in front of media, and that vid is probably the most intense media situation he could be put in.

Hope it's the case honestly. Can't tell me the amount of shots he takes helps whatsoever. Is there any other fighter with as strong a jaw and is happy for fighters to constantly punch them in the head knowing full well they won't get knocked out.

It's a good conversation to have about Nate Diaz. Him and Nick have never been well spoken, but has the way Nate talks changed over time? I don't know if it has or not. Both of them have taken plenty of strikes throughout their careers and then when you combine it with cutting weight, it's not going to be a good thing as the years go by.

It's a good conversation to have about Nate Diaz. Him and Nick have never been well spoken, but has the way Nate talks changed over time? I don't know if it has or not. Both of them have taken plenty of strikes throughout their careers and then when you combine it with cutting weight, it's not going to be a good thing as the years go by.
Fighting is always going to be detrimental to your health, but i dont think nate has changed at all really. His always baked, which doesnt help and he had to try cut a promo. When ever you see a video of nate in a relaxed atmosphere he speaks alot clearer.

Fighting is always going to be detrimental to your health, but i dont think nate has changed at all really. His always baked, which doesnt help and he had to try cut a promo. When ever you see a video of nate in a relaxed atmosphere he speaks alot clearer.

Yep; remember listening to him on a podcast a few months ago, he's certainly no idiot (not claiming anyone says he is) but he's good to listen to when not vintage Nate. Has a good understanding of the sport, and I had even better understanding of his fight (on top of the insight from the top posters here) having listened to it.

Personally think it adds to his unique appeal and wouldn't be surprised if he's told at pressers 'just keep doing what you're doing'

He has come around to fighting at his natural weight as an underweight middleweight, he's 3-0 so far in that, compared with 2-1 as a welterweight. Definitely a good move I reckon. Professionals would have much better management and support though, as opposed to an amateur who still has kids to raise and a job to work after shedding 3 or 4 kilos in a day before a fight.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back