news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems so. Was reading earlier he said that if Dana called and said Conor wants a rematch he would decline. He also said he is done with mma...isn't interested in Rizin or bellator either
The article i read said he wants to be released from his contract, but doesnt want to fight.

The ufc will never release him, and nor should they.

I dont beleive for one second he wouldnt sign with bellator instantly.

The article i read said he wants to be released from his contract, but doesnt want to fight.

The ufc will never release him, and nor should they.

I dont beleive for one second he wouldnt sign with bellator instantly.

Curious why you would say they shouldn't release him? Given they've treated him and the division he built like absolute garbage and allowed an active fighter holding the title belt to do whatever they want, coupled with the fact the the UFC always throws the "independent contractor" line around.

Curious why you would say they shouldn't release him? Given they've treated him and the division he built like absolute garbage and allowed an active fighter holding the title belt to do whatever they want, coupled with the fact the the UFC always throws the "independent contractor" line around.
They shouldn't because Aldo signed a contract and if they were to release him, id be very surprised if he didnt go fight for another promotion. Also there would be the added bonus of one of the greatest fighters of all time taking them to court about the UFCs contracts and hopefully getting more publicity around the issue of fighter rights.

Now, how have they treated him like absolute garbage? By not giving him a the rematch with Conor? I think his overreacting a little bit to the situation.

You wanna know who has more of a right to crack the shits? TJ Dillashaw. Lost the belt in a close decision, went out and beat the no. 1 contender for his pre-title contract money and still is being over looked.

They shouldn't because Aldo signed a contract and if they were to release him, id be very surprised if he didnt go fight for another promotion. Also there would be the added bonus of one of the greatest fighters of all time taking them to court about the UFCs contracts and hopefully getting more publicity around the issue of fighter rights.

Now, how have they treated him like absolute garbage? By not giving him a the rematch with Conor? I think his overreacting a little bit to the situation.

You wanna know who has more of a right to crack the shits? TJ Dillashaw. Lost the belt in a close decision, went out and beat the no. 1 contender for his pre-title contract money and still is being over looked.

He did indeed so I get the argument of "we don't have to release him" but that's not quite the same thing as shouldn't.

I'm not even that big an Aldo fan to be honest and I'm sure everyone around here knows I'm a massive Connor fan but having a champion cavorting around two different weight classes leaving the division he is champion in completely stagnant is bulls**t and as I mentioned it's a division that the UFC built completely on Aldo's ability and reputation.

He's not overreacting, I'd say his response has been pretty understated. Dana has on multiple occasions promised Connor had to defend or vacate then reneged on that, now Aldo's just saying "well you don't care about 145 so screw it I'm out, have Frankie wait around until you make up your minds". This is the thing, Aldo doesn't wanna go to court, he's an understated guy, he just can't be bothered anymore.

I agree TJ has every right to be upset as well but Aldo was featherweight, no one else even mattered for a long time, TJ didn't build the division on his own back and Cruz also isn't off fighting blokes at Lightweight for shits and giggles.

Now Khabib coming out and saying if he doesn't get a shot he will never fight in the UFC again.

Seems to me that the UFC have backed themselves into a corner here. On one hand they want to be known as the prestige MMA organisation but at the same time deny fighters championship bouts to keep the casual fan involved. To be a UFC champion obviously comes with mainstream exposure and a much bigger bank account...so fighters are chasing that...get 6 wins in a row and then are denied the title fight. The sport vs entertainment question is a hot one right now.

He did indeed so I get the argument of "we don't have to release him" but that's not quite the same thing as shouldn't.

I'm not even that big an Aldo fan to be honest and I'm sure everyone around here knows I'm a massive Connor fan but having a champion cavorting around two different weight classes leaving the division he is champion in completely stagnant is bulls**t and as I mentioned it's a division that the UFC built completely on Aldo's ability and reputation.

He's not overreacting, I'd say his response has been pretty understated. Dana has on multiple occasions promised Connor had to defend or vacate then reneged on that, now Aldo's just saying "well you don't care about 145 so screw it I'm out, have Frankie wait around until you make up your minds". This is the thing, Aldo doesn't wanna go to court, he's an understated guy, he just can't be bothered anymore.

I agree TJ has every right to be upset as well but Aldo was featherweight, no one else even mattered for a long time, TJ didn't build the division on his own back and Cruz also isn't off fighting blokes at Lightweight for shits and giggles.

I agree with the fact Aldo deserves the McGregor/non interim-title fight, i just dont think his been mistreated to a degree that alot of people have made out.

He had the opportunity to face McGregor when RDA pull out (i dont have a problem with him turning it down) after saying "anywhere, anytime" about a Conor rematch. So Mcgregor took the biggest fight he possibly could on short notice against nate diaz. He lost that, and i feel he had done enough for the company (accepting the mendez fight after aldo pulled out, accepting the nate fight at 170 when he was ment to fight for the 155 belt) to be able to be granted a rematch, and it was good for nate and he deserved another massive payday so im glad about that aswell. Now he gets the 155 title shot he was given after two fights against nate.

McGregor holds all of the cards, whether that fair or not isnt really a factor imo, lifes not fair and Conor has put himself in a position to call the shots.

Aldo has the interim belt and if Conor wins in 6 weeks, Aldo is either the undisluted champ, or he fights Conor for that title. Either way its 6 weeks.

I get that there is flawed logic in my post and that he has put a division on hold, but Nick Diaz got a title fight off a loss, Sonnen fought Jon Jones off a loss in a different division.

This sort of stuff has been happening for a while and its time the fighters got used to it and either tried to put themselves in a position to benefit, or better yet, sign the ******* union cards.

Last edited:
Now Khabib coming out and saying if he doesn't get a shot he will never fight in the UFC again.

Seems to me that the UFC have backed themselves into a corner here. On one hand they want to be known as the prestige MMA organisation but at the same time deny fighters championship bouts to keep the casual fan involved. To be a UFC champion obviously comes with mainstream exposure and a much bigger bank account...so fighters are chasing that...get 6 wins in a row and then are denied the title fight. The sport vs entertainment question is a hot one right now.
IMO Ferguson should have been ahead of him and i think he definitely should be if he beats RDA.

Winning one fight in 3 years against a guy ranked 50 in the world shouldnt get you a title shot.

IMO Ferguson should have been ahead of him and i think he definitely should be if he beats RDA.

Winning one fight in 3 years against a guy ranked 50 in the world shouldnt get you a title shot.
I agree, Khabib is being a little primadona here. I like him and think he's a big talent but he's not being grievously mistreated here. I hope Johnson beats him at 205 so he get's a dose of reality again. Because i wouldnt want him to quit the UFC.

As for Aldo, i agree with you above post. Interesting I got my post deleted and told not to post here for saying basically the same thing.. in a Conor thread no doubt. Fact of the matter is Aldo had plenty of huge gaps in title defenses, longer than McGregor has currently and he had the opportunity to have a rematch when RDA pulled out. I think he's just being a bit of a sore loser at this point. He's one fight away from a title fight.. just has to wait for Conor to beat Alvarez, then he'll either get a title shot or McGregor will vacate, but he wants to throw his toys out of the cot. That's the way I read it.

Last edited:
The Hurt Business, October 7 to 9 only (All Australian states/territories and 5 New Zealand cities)

VIC
Hoyts - Eastland / Frankston / Highpoint / Melbourne Central
Village - Fountain Gate / Knox / Southland

WA - Event Innaloo / Hoyts Garden City

https://www.facebook.com/events/115260848926041/

https://www.madman.com.au/news/see-the-hurt-business-in-cinemas-for-a-limited-time/

Sucks its only on for three days and its literally my busiest weekend of the year, surely it will be "available" somewhere after this.

DC announced he'll fight Rumble at 206. Also get another look at Lando Vannata on the card, after his crazy UFC debut against Ferguson.

And some shitty news, Josh Samman has died in hospital.

The Hurt Business, October 7 to 9 only (All Australian states/territories and 5 New Zealand cities)

VIC
Hoyts - Eastland / Frankston / Highpoint / Melbourne Central
Village - Fountain Gate / Knox / Southland

WA - Event Innaloo / Hoyts Garden City

https://www.facebook.com/events/115260848926041/

https://www.madman.com.au/news/see-the-hurt-business-in-cinemas-for-a-limited-time/

Saw this yesterday. Pretty full on.

Didn't know the background of some of the more well known fighters.

Sara McMann have a whole new found respect for, her outlook on life despite the s**t she has gone through is nothing short of amazing.

With the stuff any of them go through, I really do understand now the bullshit stuff like the Reebok deal and distribution of money towards the fighters and the angst towards stuff like Punk getting a PPV fight off the bat.

Highly unlikely but really do hope there is some sort of union or group like AFLPA that can look after the fighters best interest and life after they're done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh and Jon Jones would have to be the most self righteous, entitled flog walking the earth, penny will never drop with him.

Thinking of joining my local jiu jitsu school....any advice ?

Try and hit a flying gogoplata on your instructor in the first lesson.

Seriously, I think Nickos has you covered. I've had friends who have trained and they would all give pretty much the same advise. Good luck with it. :thumbsu:

If it fails (which it wont) switch to heel hooks. Coaches love seeing that s**t from newbies.

Good thinking. I'd recommend watching all of Rousimar Palhares' fights back to back just before the first lesson.

Thinking of joining my local jiu jitsu school....any advice ?

Nickos66 is on the money, I went down to train for the first time as a pretty good all round athlete (had played high level footy and bball and boxed throughout my younger years)

I got my ass handed to me by girls and guys alike in Kickboxing and Jits for the first 6 months at least, I was also staggered by the cardio and strength the sessions required.

Its a great camaraderie at the clubs and youll love it but its a grind, nothing improves without hours in the gym.

Just walks right back in to a title shot. :rolleyes:

Hopefully ends the same as her last fight.
She deserves the title shot imo. You can make a good argument for pena and Shevchenko but Ronda was a dominate champion for a long time and would have only been out of competition for 12 months. There have been far less deserving title shots handed out over the past few years.

Its a fairly good style matchup for Ronda as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back