news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

There no one else for her to fight, so it makes sense

Tate coming off a loss and has lost to Ronda a bunch of times
Holm coming off two losses
Shevchenko isn't compelling at all and then shes beaten everyone else below her (basically).
Shes not gonna fight Cyborg as the first one back after 12 months off (and I doubt many really want her to).

When you play it logically its the only fight that makes sense, add to that if she wins people care about Bantamweight again, if she gets beaten Nunes earns some more exposure from beating her.

I struggle to understand why anyone would be critical of Rousey getting a title shot.

- First and foremost, UFC is a business. Rousey is one of their 2-3 biggest stars. Complaining about her getting a title shot is ridiculous, you've known for a year that she'd get a title shot straight away.

- People seem to be under the impression that she's been out forever. She hasn't. It's been less than 12 months. Fighters take 12 month breaks all the time for a variety of reasons.

- Rousey build the division. She all but cleaned out the division (at least, the division as it stood pre-Holm fight). I also struggle to understand how anyone could think she doesn't deserve an immediate title shot. Especially when you consider that pretty much everyone except Nunes have lost their last fight.

Good posts fellas. Edmond is no doubt horrible and stylistically I think this is a horrible fight for her. Nunes has good hands, I think is a brown belt in Judo and a black belt in BJJ, shes also strong an as Ox in the clinch and has a lot of experience.

Aside from Holm I cant think of a worse stylistic matchup (short of Cyborg)

Just walks right back in to a title shot. :rolleyes:

Hopefully ends the same as her last fight.

UFC's biggest star and longest serving Women's Bantamweight champion. That weight division she needs her back....that belt has yoyo'd on multiple fighters waist since Rousey lost it last December.

Don't know what we'll get from her in this fight though. The beating Holm gave her was something she's never experienced before. She'll either be timid or savage as **** in her remaining fights.

Good posts fellas. Edmond is no doubt horrible and stylistically I think this is a horrible fight for her. Nunes has good hands, I think is a brown belt in Judo and a black belt in BJJ, shes also strong an as Ox in the clinch and has a lot of experience.

Aside from Holm I cant think of a worse stylistic matchup (short of Cyborg)
There is no such thing as a sure bet but this is as close as you will get. Whilst Nunes doesn't posses the stick and move ability of Holly, she punches so much harder - going toe to toe is by no means an option for Rousey. And there is no way she would have improved so much in 12 months that she will be able to outbox Nunes. A submission is her only chance, easier said than done though with Nunes being a highly skilled grappler plus she might even be physically stronger than Rousey.

I actually think its a good match up for Ronda.

Nunes punching power is the biggest problem Rousey will have, but Nunes is a pressure fighter who does her best work in close and in the clinch. From the fights we have seen, if you come at Rousey, you end up on your back. Imo it doesnt matter how good or strong Nunes is in the clinch, Rousey is so far ahead of her there. We have seen Ronda on the ground with very credentialed BBJ players, and she has sliced through them like butter.

Nunes definitely provides problems but id expect Rousey to be the betting favourite and rightfully so.

I actually think its a good match up for Ronda.

Nunes punching power is the biggest problem Rousey will have, but Nunes is a pressure fighter who does her best work in close and in the clinch. From the fights we have seen, if you come at Rousey, you end up on your back. Imo it doesnt matter how good or strong Nunes is in the clinch, Rousey is so far ahead of her there. We have seen Ronda on the ground with very credentialed BBJ players, and she has sliced through them like butter.

Nunes definitely provides problems but id expect Rousey to be the betting favourite and rightfully so.
We have also seen her not being able to take down a boxer/kick boxer, even though she had plenty of opportunities to do so.. You are correct in saying that Rousey is the superior grappler but do not underestimate the importance of a physical strength/power advantage.

We have also seen her not being able to take down a boxer/kick boxer, even though she had plenty of opportunities to do so.. You are correct in saying that Rousey is the superior grappler but do not underestimate the importance of a physical strength/power advantage.
She did get holm down briefly and got semi close to an arm bar from memory. Holm defended well and got straight back up and made Ronda chase.

Holm is significantly stronger and more powerful than Tate. Didnt help her when she was in scrambles with a far better grappler.

From every bit of tape there is on Ronda.. she has only struggled with one style and thats counter striking. Unless Nunes comes in with a similar gameplan rather than the one she fought Tate with she will be a very good shot, if she pressures and the two lock up, she will be on her back pretty fast imo.

This is from a guy whos favourite live sporting event memory is watching holms shin rap around rousey jaw. I actually want her to get smoked lol just wouldnt be my pick if i had to put money on it right now.

I struggle to understand why anyone would be critical of Rousey getting a title shot.

- First and foremost, UFC is a business. Rousey is one of their 2-3 biggest stars. Complaining about her getting a title shot is ridiculous, you've known for a year that she'd get a title shot straight away.

- People seem to be under the impression that she's been out forever. She hasn't. It's been less than 12 months. Fighters take 12 month breaks all the time for a variety of reasons.

- Rousey build the division. She all but cleaned out the division (at least, the division as it stood pre-Holm fight). I also struggle to understand how anyone could think she doesn't deserve an immediate title shot. Especially when you consider that pretty much everyone except Nunes have lost their last fight.
because its just another slap in the face to Jose Aldo, who made the mens featherweight division his for years. He gets no immediate rematch, despite being the much better all round fighter than Rousey.

Like you said, the UFC is a business and Dana White is taking away the credibility of MMA and turning it into WWE. Anyway now its all said and done i hope Nunes puts Rousey on her arse inside the 1st round. Huge chance of that happening too. Then all we need is for McGregor to lose and the sport can go back to being a credible sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No worse than Hendo, and FWIW, the time that Aldo is waiting isn't the bullshit thing, it's the fact that FW champion is perfectly healthy and will now have fought 3 fights out of the division since wining it.

because its just another slap in the face to Jose Aldo, who made the mens featherweight division his for years. He gets no immediate rematch, despite being the much better all round fighter than Rousey.

Like you said, the UFC is a business and Dana White is taking away the credibility of MMA and turning it into WWE. Anyway now its all said and done i hope Nunes puts Rousey on her arse inside the 1st round. Huge chance of that happening too. Then all we need is for McGregor to lose and the sport can go back to being a credible sport.

Your second paragraph is the pertinent one.

I doubt White even thought of Aldo when he was making the Nunes/Rousey fight. If he did though? I'm sure he'd say "promote your fights better, fight in a more entertaining way, boost our PPV buy rates for the shows you headline, grow your mainstream apeal - make it impossible for us to ignore you."

Aldo was never a draw until that Connor fight, and it wasn't Aldo that drew that house/PPV number. And frankly, the uproar about Rousey's rematch the week after Hendo got a title shot that very few people complained about is ridiculous.

In someways the top 10 rankings bite UFC in the arse, cos it makes it more obvious that UFC is a business more than it's a pure sport. If it were a pure sport the champ would only ever fight a top 3 ranked person (or even just the number 1 ranked contender.)

Saw this yesterday. Pretty full on.

Didn't know the background of some of the more well known fighters.

Sara McMann have a whole new found respect for, her outlook on life despite the s**t she has gone through is nothing short of amazing.

With the stuff any of them go through, I really do understand now the bullshit stuff like the Reebok deal and distribution of money towards the fighters and the angst towards stuff like Punk getting a PPV fight off the bat.

Highly unlikely but really do hope there is some sort of union or group like AFLPA that can look after the fighters best interest and life after they're done.

Is it worth a look if its "available" Ryz ?

As much as I generally dislike Dana he is right in this instance, Holly and Meisha cost themselves huge paydays, not by not waiting but by losing.

FWIW I think Nunes belts the living suitcase out of Ronda unless somehow Ronda has improved her hands out of sight.

FamiliarGlamorousFulmar-size_restricted.gif

She couldn't knock out a 10 year old with those "punches" lol

Just reading that Pena will be looking at fighting for a different organisation after the Ronda announcement.

...Dana is really start to kill this thing now

If Ronda wasn't coming back...Who else?

I dont know, i think thats kind of the point, i'd argue, Tate and Schevchenko are ahead of her. Theres no stand out so it has to be Ronda, so why does Pena feel aggreived. Shes not Aldo, shes not Dillashaw.

She ranked 6th and has beaten one top 10 fighter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back