news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just like talking about Footy with casuals.. you forget those on bigfooty are really in the top like 5% of football fans so we forget we know a lot more than the average punter. Everytime someone's like.. didnt Mitch Clarke just get traded in by Geelong last year, reckon he'll have a big year" and you have to hold your tongue from revealing you spend 20+ hours a week talking about football and could namd the shoe size of your teams 2nd round rookie selection.

Ive gotta say i've got my head around the standup game, point system and all that. Can pretty acurrately call fights. But i'll be the first to admit my BJJ knowledge is pretty limited. Hard to tell who's in a safe/dangerous position sometimes but i'm getting there, i know the basics. My lack of knowledge in that area is largely due to the fact all my favourite fighters are standup guys.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ive gotta say i've got my head around the standup game, point system and all that. Can pretty acurrately call fights. But i'll be the first to admit my BJJ knowledge is pretty limited. Hard to tell who's in a safe/dangerous position sometimes but i'm getting there, i know the basics. My lack of knowledge in that area is largely due to the fact all my favourite fighters are standup guys.
I've contemplated starting a grappling/ground game/jits thread in the past, but decided against it as..

a) it probably wouldn't be completely MMA related
b) there are people higher ranked than me lurking around here that would be be better served to do up an adequate OP
c) it'd probably wouldn't get much chatter in there, I don't get the time to keep up to date on sub comps and the big names these days so I wouldn't be doing it justice

Yeh outside of say Metamoris or whatever Hendo is fighting Bones in next week I don't follow much if anything.

Having said that I'd say its remarkably ambitious to suggest I know 5% of either ground or stand up and probably even less about stand up grappling (wrestling, judo etc).

I did MMA and no gi for 4-5 years, did boxing most of my teenage years and watched MMA since 2010 (Silva v Sonnen 1 was the first PPV I ever watched then I went back and watched damn near every card ever) and aside from the very basic footwork, hand positions and general stuff, I know sweet FA. The guys I watch it with have all boxed or kickboxed to some degree and are open about the fact they don't have any idea about the ground or grappling stuff.

To me that is one of the most fascinating parts of the sport, the athletes that make everything look fluid. When I was sparring I was a decent wrestler mostly through sheer strength and grit, had okay hands and could generally work a pretty sweet head and arm triangle but that was it.

Get a dude who would kick or use distance, someone that was good off their back or knew some basic sweeps and I may as well have been a baby on the mats. Also trying to transition boxing (or what I would call kickboxing and most people would call boxing with a horrible inside leg kick) was just so much more difficult than I could have ever imagined, then you have thai boxing grappling, then Judo techniques, then wrestling based stuff then the 1000's of other styles ive never even heard of or trained (Sambo anyone). The literally millions of combinations of styles and arts you can learn and combine is insane, then you have the dilemma of do you focus on one thing to be really good at whilst sacrificing some other components, or do you do the all round track and hope to be good enough at everything without having one really sweet technique.

In my opinion MMA is the most difficult athletic undertaking there is, nothing compares to it that I know of and "critiquing" to me is still done with a huge "before I start I should clarify that these guys are insane and I have nothing but the utmost respect for anyone brave, dumb and disciplined enough to do it" implied.

I love footy and have played at reasonably high levels, played baseball, cricket, basketball, gridiron, gaelic, tennis and just about everything a standard Aussie kid from the burbs will have a crack at and nothing tested me like MMA and that was just the training. Unless im sitting next to Anderson Silva im gonna assume that we all know less than the guy in the cage. For some reason most people think cause they can throw a punch (which even then most people don't know how to do that right) they could probably fight but the same logic isn't applied to footy or any other sport.

Anyway, that's my rant for the day.

I'm glad it made sense. I do find it strange that the same level of thought isn't given to combat sports (no one goes "I can kick a footy so I could play in the AFL" or a more apt analogy "I can swing a cricket bat so I could face Mitchell Johnson". For these guys, most of them have being doing this since they were kids, most of them before we would even start Auskick (Stephen Thompson started Karate at like 3) and they still get it wrong...

And don't even start me on weight cutting, that's actually the most awful thing ever.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/do-not-be-conned-ufc-is-sadism-not-elite-sport-and-conor-mcgregor-is-the-donald-trump-of-mma-20161115-gsq5zp.html?eid=socialn:fac-16omntEN0125-eng-FB-22092016-Editorial_Social_Boosted-nnn-nnn-nnn-AGE-nnn&campaign_code=Editorial_Social_Boosted&promote_channel=AGE_A_SM_FB_NE&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=boostedposts

*sigh*

If you want a sample of the quality journalism this flog is dishing out without clicking the link.

"They like its internet-age immediacy, the way an entire fight can be condensed into a 20-second video, unlike boxing, which you actually have to watch"

Last edited:
Unlike boxing.. you actually get a result most of the time haha

* Mayweather

Don't even wanna give that article air but my god... of all the sports to reference to try and can MMA he chooses boxing... Whose poster boy has been convicted of domestiv violence, whose former heavyweight champion has a ton of racist and sexist comments attributed to him, a sport who has a laundry list of "colourful" characters both in ring and out of ring.

All sports have them, NFL, AFL jesus even the gentlemanly cricket has had its share of sex, drugs and violence.... So you want to try to compare any sport to MMA as the beacon for humanity and you pick another combat sport, one scientifically proven to do more long term brain damage than MMA and has more... You know what, it aint even worth it man.

Sums up The Age that they felt the need to publish an article from a third party source, and further to that, a bloke who is clearly the UK equivalent of Titus O'Reilly, just a boring unfunny repetitive troll.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whittaker has put a good case together, all he needs to do is be patient and bide his time on the sidelines and wait for the right fight to be offered. He doesn't necessarily have a right to pick and choose but he could easily get a fight against a top 5 guy if things fall into place (i.e. injuries or suspensions). Mousasi seems to the most likely opponent next but Mousasi has also made a case for himself to get someone in the top 5 too. Personally, I think someone like Jacare or Weidman is still too early for Whittaker but who knows.

Hmmm, I see what your saying but Tavares, Hall, Natal now Brunson (with the current champ a last minute pull out) I think the only logical option is a Weidman, Mousasi or Jacare, its not fair to have him fight a lower ranked guy again (hes done that in his last 3 fights). At 25 he has all the time in the world but it would be crazy if he didn't get a a top 5er now.

I think Mousasi is the fight. The timing works out well with them both fighting within a week of each other - that could quite possibly happen as early as Feb or March. I think Jacare is going to hold out for Bisping given Romero's suspension, and while I haven't checked medical suspensions, I don't imagine Weidman would be cleared for contact for at least a few months after his brutal KO at 205.

I'd like to see Whittaker v Mousasi as well. Mousasi is almost that gatekeeper/buffer zone between the top 3-4 at 185 and the rest, so it's a good fight for Whittaker to move up and start to be taken more seriously.

I think Mousasi is the fight. The timing works out well with them both fighting within a week of each other - that could quite possibly happen as early as Feb or March. I think Jacare is going to hold out for Bisping given Romero's suspension, and while I haven't checked medical suspensions, I don't imagine Weidman would be cleared for contact for at least a few months after his brutal KO at 205.

I'd like to see Whittaker v Mousasi as well. Mousasi is almost that gatekeeper/buffer zone between the top 3-4 at 185 and the rest, so it's a good fight for Whittaker to move up and start to be taken more seriously.
Isn't Romero only suspended in NY.. no one is goind to hold that suspension up elsewhere.

Gastellum is about to be set to fight at 206 only a couple of weeks after being suspended for 6months by NY.

I really hope it's the union finally happening. Reading the peanuts that fighters at the bottom of the card are being paid, while still having to pay for their corners, camps etc is becoming increasingly depressing. In the short few months since the sale, you can already see the "bottom" of the card being "expanded" - the bottom fighters aren't necessarily receiving less, but more fighters are getting that very bottom rung of money.

GSP and Cerrone are 2 names that I'm happy to hear are involved - I'm only surprised that they don't seem to have looked outside of their own management company to get someone like Hunt on board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back