news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So many guys are trying to find a money fight, and an opponent that they can cash in on (tyrone woodley, im looking at you).

I hope more take the Holloway route, in wanting to make yourself a money fight. Ironically, thats also what THE money fight, McGregor did.
I don't think this is a great criticism. I'm not 100% on this, but I believe fighting a huge PPV star is the usual way that someone has become a draw in combat sports throughout the history of combat sports on PPV. I'm pretty sure McGregor and Rousey are the rare exceptions (and they got huge pushes from the UFC when the UFC realised there was something there). I could be wrong on this stuff and if so someone who knows more about boxing's PPV history could correct me.

In boxing Mayweather became a huge PPV star after/when he fought De La Hoya. Pacquiao was the same. I'm pretty sure that's how it usually works in boxing. There'll be exceptions I'm sure (Mike Tyson?), but it seems like getting the money fight is the most common way it works.

Let's be honest. How does Woodley make himself into a money fight? I really don't see how he does it. MMA in the US is predominantly watched by white guys and the UFC knows this. They cater to that audience. They're trying to bring in more viewers with VanZant and Northcutt being rammed down everyone's throats. The audience that they appeal to has to be the 'soccer mum'. The UFC doesn't really have much interest it seems in trying to attract African-American viewers, or they simply don't know how to.

It's a lot easier for African-Americans, Puerto Ricans and Mexican-Americans to become draws in boxing than MMA because there are a lot of fans from those backgrounds who watch boxing in the US. I like to think that I don't give a s**t what a fighter's ethnicity/race is and a lot of other fans would like to think the same I'm sure, but it seems pretty clear that people gravitate towards people that look like them. Working out how to get more African-Americans to watch the UFC would be good for the UFC and for African-American fighters.

I really don't see how Holloway makes himself into a money fight on his own either. I think he'll end up figuring that out if he's forced to. Just googled it and saw that Holloway/Pettis was estimated to have done 150,000 buys. The smartest thing to do would be to do everything he can to get a fight with McGregor if you ask me.

Wanting a money fight seems like the best thing a fighter can do. Not sure why fans would be against it to be honest. If you don't like the fight it's perfectly fine to say so, but not wanting Woodley to seek out these fights that will make him more money seems unwise if you want fighters to make more money. Woodley's clearly not getting these fights he wants anyway.

Last edited:

Nunes is doing a pretty good job of making herself a star/money fight at the moment, having said that, BradWCE is on the money again, the greats always had a foil/rival, others have to rely on being marketable, unfortunately for Nunes she probably isn't "pretty" enough to ever be a Rousey/McGregor draw (its still a thing in womens sport unfortunately), but that marketability is a strange blend of lip, looks and performance, its lightning in a bottle stuff and its never gonna happen to everyone.

Its the UFC so its a best guess at any given time scenario but she will either

Defend against the winner of the upcoming Schevchenko v Pena fight (unless Zingano makes enough noise to make that a better PPV match up) OR

Challenge the winner of the Holm v De Randamie F/Weight title fight (she has called that one out)

I was more saying shes getting enough soundbites out there for people to start noticing her, she beat Ronda, then did a pretty good post fight interview, shes since canned Edmond, praised Ronda's legacy but also called out her ineptness, called out the F/Weight title winner with a reference to Conor (not a bad horse to hitch the wagon to) and just generally made sure she stayed relevant.

I don't think this is a great criticism. I'm not 100% on this, but I believe fighting a huge PPV star is the usual way that someone has become a draw in combat sports throughout the history of combat sports on PPV. I'm pretty sure McGregor and Rousey are the rare exceptions (and they got huge pushes from the UFC when the UFC realised there was something there). I could be wrong on this stuff and if so someone who knows more about boxing's PPV history could correct me.

In boxing Mayweather became a huge PPV star after/when he fought De La Hoya. Pacquiao was the same. I'm pretty sure that's how it usually works in boxing. There'll be exceptions I'm sure (Mike Tyson?), but it seems like getting the money fight is the most common way it works.

Let's be honest. How does Woodley make himself into a money fight? I really don't see how he does it. MMA in the US is predominantly watched by white guys and the UFC knows this. They cater to that audience. They're trying to bring in more viewers with VanZant and Northcutt being rammed down everyone's throats. The audience that they appeal to has to be the 'soccer mum'. The UFC doesn't really have much interest it seems in trying to attract African-American viewers, or they simply don't know how to.

It's a lot easier for African-Americans, Puerto Ricans and Mexican-Americans to become draws in boxing than MMA because there are a lot of fans from those backgrounds who watch boxing in the US. I like to think that I don't give a s**t what a fighter's ethnicity/race is and a lot of other fans would like to think the same I'm sure, but it seems pretty clear that people gravitate towards people that look like them. Working out how to get more African-Americans to watch the UFC would be good for the UFC and for African-American fighters.

I really don't see how Holloway makes himself into a money fight on his own either. I think he'll end up figuring that out if he's forced to. Just googled it and saw that Holloway/Pettis was estimated to have done 150,000 buys. The smartest thing to do would be to do everything he can to get a fight with McGregor if you ask me.

Wanting a money fight seems like the best thing a fighter can do. Not sure why fans would be against it to be honest. If you don't like the fight it's perfectly fine to say so, but not wanting Woodley to seek out these fights that will make him more money seems unwise if you want fighters to make more money. Woodley's clearly not getting these fights he wants anyway.

Fighting PPV star isnt going to help you at all imo. The exposure and platform that the star gives, will allow fighters the opportunity to get their personality and fighting ability (ideally exciting) out there.

Of course if you win that fight it can take you some of the way, but it shouldnt be and isnt necessary to become a star.

There are so many factors and woodley does himself no favours.

Woodley beat Kim and Gastelum (in a split decision) and had a johnny hendricks fight scrapped to get himself a title shot.

He then sat out for a year and a half waiting for a title shot and literally pulled the race card multiple times as a reason he wasnt getting it.

Nothing garners more support amongst 18-35 white males like calling them racist for not liking you.

Money fights are fine, but what does woodley vs Nick Diaz do on PPV? 500,000 maybe? Woodley vs bisping? The same?

They aren't even money fights. Just contender dodging.

Also if Holloway was underneath Cormier and Johnson like was planned, that ppv would have done a hell of alot better and he would of got the exposure he needed.

Fighting PPV star isnt going to help you at all imo. The exposure and platform that the star gives, will allow fighters the opportunity to get their personality and fighting ability (ideally exciting) out there.

Of course if you win that fight it can take you some of the way, but it shouldnt be and isnt necessary to become a star.

There are so many factors and woodley does himself no favours.

Woodley beat Kim and Gastelum (in a split decision) and had a johnny hendricks fight scrapped to get himself a title shot.

He then sat out for a year and a half waiting for a title shot and literally pulled the race card multiple times as a reason he wasnt getting it.

Nothing garners more support amongst 18-35 white males like calling them racist for not liking you.

Money fights are fine, but what does woodley vs Nick Diaz do on PPV? 500,000 maybe? Woodley vs bisping? The same?

They aren't even money fights. Just contender dodging.

Also if Holloway was underneath Cormier and Johnson like was planned, that ppv would have done a hell of alot better and he would of got the exposure he needed.

1- Race card... Wow.
2- Woodley v Diaz or Bisping does a hell of a lot better numbers than Woodley v Maia

1- Race card... Wow.
Yup, race card.

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/...ected-race-worst-treated-champion-ufc-history

an article from today that i didnt know about until i googled "tyron woodley".

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/10/...-feels-race-plays-role-in-getting-recognition

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...2knJ5lJtBNSb4jYZA&sig2=uE9b5LZCNkjTGB1ZvQUdYg

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...1zw1p-1FPYJJ_NoPg&sig2=CwC0R01Nq-JGHIgSmmcQFw

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...CPug50IpSL8_AteBg&sig2=62GdKtaXdc6JqhCXj5PREQ

All examples within the last few months that personally i dont think hold much weight.

How can you possibly be treated unfairly by the promotion because of the colour of your skin when u have a regurlar gig on UFC tonight.

2- Woodley v Diaz or Bisping does a hell of a lot better numbers than Woodley v Maia
Huh? Of course they do lol but imo the definition of a money fight isnt that it does better numbers Maia.

Last edited:
This two weight champion stuff is a bit of a crock. McGregor should never have got a crack at the LW title. What did he do to earn it? Surely u have to work ur way thru a div, not just get gifted everything u want. $$

Didn't defend FW once. He schooled Eddie, tho... what a disappointing fight that was by Eddie.

McGregor v Khabib or Fergusen will be great... McGregor v anyone is good, tho... and still want the Aldo rematch, too!

Would prefer to see Conor v Khabib or Fergusen fight, before a Khabib v Fergusen fight.

You answered your own question.
He is the main event in UFC at the moment.

He destroyed the FW division, who should he have defended against?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yup, race card.

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/...ected-race-worst-treated-champion-ufc-history

an article from today that i didnt know about until i googled "tyron woodley".

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/10/...-feels-race-plays-role-in-getting-recognition

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...2knJ5lJtBNSb4jYZA&sig2=uE9b5LZCNkjTGB1ZvQUdYg

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...1zw1p-1FPYJJ_NoPg&sig2=CwC0R01Nq-JGHIgSmmcQFw

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...CPug50IpSL8_AteBg&sig2=62GdKtaXdc6JqhCXj5PREQ

All examples within the last few months that personally i dont think hold much weight.

How can you possibly be treated unfairly by the promotion because of the colour of your skin when u have a regurlar gig on UFC tonight.

Huh? Of course they do lol but imo the definition of a money fight isnt that it does better numbers Maia.

Racism and discrimination exists in many, many different ways. I never disputed that he raised his color as an issue with the UFC I just can't believe someone would still refer to it as the race card, also to say that brining light to these issues will cost him fans... I get the premise but I also get why that's kind of the whole issue (see Ali, Kaepernick)

Your definition of a money fight doesn't really matter to him. Maybe he wants an extra 50k from this fight (which Bisping and Diaz would easily cover) or perhaps he just wants the extra coverage to add sponsor appeal or to set up his next fight. These guys are literally one fight away from a career ending injury at any given time so if they want to be a bit selective (as frustrating as that can be) you can hardly blame them.

Woodley is a whiny sook, that's why he's not well-liked. Just go out there and do your job, FFS. You look at the way he talks vs McGregor and it's easy to see why the later is more popular.

Nobody had a problem with Jon Jones or Anderson Silva.

Youre joking right...

Granted I don't think anyone had a problem with Jon only because hes black but this has to be a pisstake

Racism and discrimination exists in many, many different ways. I never disputed that he raised his color as an issue with the UFC I just can't believe someone would still refer to it as the race card, also to say that brining light to these issues will cost him fans... I get the premise but I also get why that's kind of the whole issue (see Ali, Kaepernick)
Jesus christ, im not denying that racism exists.

Whats the PC term for someone using there race as a reason for not getting what they desire, when in reality it has nothing to do with it?? Because to me, thats playing the race card. I honestly cant think of another term for it.

Whats he brining light to? The fact the UFC dont promote him because his black? That fans boo him because his black? That people like Ronda and Conor get treated better because they aren't black? Because those are the things he is saying.

People dont like being told they are racist. It will and it has cost him fans, and that doesnt make those fans racist.

Your definition of a money fight doesn't really matter to him. Maybe he wants an extra 50k from this fight (which Bisping and Diaz would easily cover) or perhaps he just wants the extra coverage to add sponsor appeal or to set up his next fight. These guys are literally one fight away from a career ending injury at any given time so if they want to be a bit selective (as frustrating as that can be) you can hardly blame them
I made a post about McGregor calling his own shots and how its a breath of fresh air because of how the current landscape of MMA is. But people hate McGregor for it, which is fine. But if they hate woodley for it as well, it doesnt make those people racist or the UFC racist for not giving him what he wants.

Jesus christ, im not denying that racism exists.

Whats the PC term for someone using there race as a reason for not getting what they desire, when in reality it has nothing to do with it?? Because to me, thats playing the race card. I honestly cant think of another term for it.

Whats he brining light to? The fact the UFC dont promote him because his black? That fans boo him because his black? That people like Ronda and Conor get treated better because they aren't black? Because those are the things he is saying.

People dont like being told they are racist. It will and it has cost him fans, and that doesnt make those fans racist.

I made a post about McGregor calling his own shots and how its a breath of fresh air because of how the current landscape of MMA is. But people hate McGregor for it, which is fine. But if they hate woodley for it as well, it doesnt make those people racist or the UFC racist for not giving him what he wants.

You're saying Woodley is wrong when in reality we can't know what his treatment is behind the scenes. He's raising a culturally ingrained issue (an undeniable one at that) and saying he's sick of it. Now maybe youre right maybe that's got nothing to do with why people don't like him but maybe people didn't boo Adam Goodes because they were racist but the whole thing felt pretty bloody racist and if it walks and talks like a duck...

On your point about people not liking being called a racist, you know what's a lot worse than that, racism, so if people wanna get uppity at him calling it out that's their issue not his. You wanna tell the angry black guy that you don't like him but it's got nothing to do with his skin color, go right ahead, the fact you need to point that out kinda shows how ingrained and cultural the issue is, especially in America.

I feel it's worth pointing out the literal arms, legs and voice of the organization is an unabashed Trump supporter...

No idea where the second rant is going, people hate McGregor cause he is arrogant, brash and to many disrespectful (I love him for his attitude) but Woodley isn't McGregor.

Seperating the issue (otherwise it's just never gonna get anywhere) he wants, to him at least, a money fight (which is Diaz or Bisping or McGregor) cause he wants to earn more money, I don't see an issue with that.

On your point about people not liking being called a racist, you know what's a lot worse than that, racism, so if people wanna get uppity at him calling it out that's their issue not his. You wanna tell the angry black guy that you don't like him but it's got nothing to do with his skin color, go right ahead, the fact you need to point that out kinda shows how ingrained and cultural the issue is, especially in America.
Lol if he was in my face, being angry, accusing me of not liking him because his black, when in reality i dont like him because his a douche bag, damn right ill let him know its not because his black. Also, no one else brought it up, Tyron did.

I feel it's worth pointing out the literal arms, legs and voice of the organization is an unabashed Trump supporter...
U serious? Surely i dont have to tell u why Dana is friends with/supports trump.. hint, its not because they both hate mexicans.

No idea where the second rant is going, people hate McGregor cause he is arrogant, brash and to many disrespectful (I love him for his attitude) but Woodley isn't McGregor.
People hate on McGregor for choosing his fights (a reason people point to, not the ONLY reason). They dont like that he is "dodging" the guy they support or that his holding up divisions. Completely fair opinion.

people are also allowed to not like woodley for wanting to do the same thing, without there being racial undertones.

Just like people dont like Cody calling out aldo and Nunes wanting the FW strap.

Lol if he was in my face, being angry, accusing me of not liking him because his black, when in reality i dont like him because his a douche bag, damn right ill let him know its not because his black. Also, no one else brought it up, Tyron did.

U serious? Surely i dont have to tell u why Dana is friends with/supports trump.. hint, its not because they both hate mexicans.

People hate on McGregor for choosing his fights (a reason people point to, not the ONLY reason). They dont like that he is "dodging" the guy they support or that his holding up divisions. Completely fair opinion.

people are also allowed to not like woodley for wanting to do the same thing, without there being racial undertones.

Just like people dont like Cody calling out aldo and Nunes wanting the FW strap.

You have your position and that's fine, you're entitled to that. I don't agree at all.

Seperating the issue (otherwise it's just never gonna get anywhere) he wants, to him at least, a money fight (which is Diaz or Bisping or McGregor) cause he wants to earn more money, I don't see an issue with that.

The biggest issue I have with it is that he sat out for 18 months demanding his title shot. I've got no problem with him doing that, but that was 18 months of his career where he could have solidified his claim to being the west welterweight in the world and made a boat load of money from sponsors/bonuses etc. Strikes me as a bit fishy to be honest when he could have been calling for these money fights prior to fighting for the belt, set himself up financially for the foreseeable future and then gone about creating a legacy as champion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back