news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
If you take Derrick Lewis out of the equation the main and co-main event of todays Fight Night card are 1 from 9 wins of late.

Browne has 1 win from his last 4
Hendricks has dropped 3 straight
Lombard has dropped 2 straight (could say 3 cause his win over Burkman before that was an NC after his failed drug test)

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Recently saw this. Haha

Apparently Rogan had Eddie Bravo and Alex Jones on his podcast and it was episode 911. Good god. I feel like if I listened to that I'd kill some brain cells for sure. Rogan being the level-headed, least conspiratorial person by far among 3 people isn't a great sign for starters.

Jan 11, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Recently saw this. Haha

Apparently Rogan had Eddie Bravo and Alex Jones on his podcast and it was episode 911. Good god. I feel like if I listened to that I'd kill some brain cells for sure. Rogan being the level-headed, least conspiratorial person by far among 3 people isn't a great sign for starters.

It was pretty funny. Definitely worth a listen

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
From bispings insta

image.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or never...

In the sense of seeing a better GSP :)

Off tangent for a sec, and not that he ever really retired beforehand, but how good does Hendo's effort seem when you see other guys in their prime totally serve up garbage.

Really need to go back and watch all of Hendo's stuff from the beginning.

As for Bisping, think he's business first, fighting second. Think he know's he's on borrowed time and milking everything.

Bit of a shame titles mean SFA these days, kind of don't blame the Diaz brothers for chasing $ fights only.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
In the sense of seeing a better GSP :)

Off tangent for a sec, and not that he ever really retired beforehand, but how good does Hendo's effort seem when you see other guys in their prime totally serve up garbage.

Really need to go back and watch all of Hendo's stuff from the beginning.

As for Bisping, think he's business first, fighting second. Think he know's he's on borrowed time and milking everything.

Bit of a shame titles mean SFA these days, kind of don't blame the Diaz brothers for chasing $ fights only.

Just a heads up, Hendo's nickname for a while was Decision Dan as he had a habit of being in dull fights that he never tried to finish. Pretty sure it was towards the end of his pride run that he started uncorking some serious power.

I really waanted to see Yoel vs Bisping. This match up makes no sense.

Agree that this fight makes no sense. GSP's been banging on about being able to easily make 155, yet he gets a crack at the 185 title over a guy with an 8 fight win streak? Why not have him fight Nate with the winner getting a shot at the winner of the Conor vs Khabib/Ferguson fight? Those two fights would do fantastic numbers and he'd have a legit shot at not only winning the belt, but keeping it.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
I know he has said he could make 155 but nah... I follow his insta, no way he's making 155.

Did you see the pic of him and Conor together? They're roughly the same size, so I think he could do it. His frame at 185 will be very small and Bisping is a big guy, so it could be a very tough fight for him. I wouldn't put it past him as I don't think Bisping is the best guy at 185, but I'd much prefer to see him in a smaller weight class. Not coming straight back in to a title shot at a weight class he's never fought at when there are two outstanding contenders already there would have been preferable too.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Did you see the pic of him and Conor together? They're roughly the same size, so I think he could do it. His frame at 185 will be very small and Bisping is a big guy, so it could be a very tough fight for him. I wouldn't put it past him as I don't think Bisping is the best guy at 185, but I'd much prefer to see him in a smaller weight class. Not coming straight back in to a title shot at a weight class he's never fought at when there are two outstanding contenders already there would have been preferable too.

No i agree with you that Bisping should be too much for him (Bisping has great TDD and is hard to keep down and better technically on the feet) but Georges is a lot bigger than Conor, that pic is deceiving, hes not tall but hes so so lean anyway and the jump from 170-155 is alot coupled with the fact that GSP has put on some size since he finished up.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
No i agree with you that Bisping should be too much for him (Bisping has great TDD and is hard to keep down and better technically on the feet) but Georges is a lot bigger than Conor, that pic is deceiving, hes not tall but hes so so lean anyway and the jump from 170-155 is alot coupled with the fact that GSP has put on some size since he finished up.

That size could easily come off with the proper camp.

Don't really see what's deceiving about the pic with Conor either... they are standing shoulder to shoulder. Yes GSP is a bit bigger, but Conor was able to fight a weight class down from 155. I don't see how you could rule out GSP making 155 because he's slightly bigger than a guy who fought predominantly at featherweight.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
That size could easily come off with the proper camp.

Don't really see what's deceiving about the pic with Conor either... they are standing shoulder to shoulder. Yes GSP is a bit bigger, but Conor was able to fight a weight class down from 155. I don't see how you could rule out GSP making 155 because he's slightly bigger than a guy who fought predominantly at featherweight.

Conor couldnt make 145 now if he cut his legs off, hed be walking around at Welterweight weight and GSP is a fair bit bigger size wise with less fat % as well as being a few cm taller.

When he was fighting at WW he would have battled to make 155 now he is bigger and older, if he had a 6 month camp and committed to lweight maaaaaybe but he didnt, he got bigger and more muscular when we "retired".

Dignan

All Australian
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
76ers
Don't really like this but oh well, kinda figured it was coming.

What happens if GSP wins though? I don't think he's hanging around to fight Jacare or Romero.

The thing that annoys me most about this fight is that GSP had the option to go up to middleweight when literally every single MMA fan wanted to see it.

He was the main hurdle to the Silva fight as far as i know and he wasnt willing to compromise in weight. From memory Silva said he would go to 180-ish.

Also, wasnt one of the things the MMAAA wanted was to have a better offical ranking system and title fights given on merits? (This may have been one of the other associations, i cant remember).

* this has pissed me off lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back