news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I was focusing less on money and more on White's poor promotional job. I don't see how White's comments benefit the UFC. This tactic could work on other fighters but I don't see it working on Nate. He'll just wait until he can fight McGregor or they pay him a lot to fight someone else. That means all it ends up being is negative promotion from the promoter. The promoter saying that this guy's not a draw blah blah is the opposite of good promoting.

The UFC doesn't have a whole lot of draws right now. McGregor's doing whatever. Rousey's probably not coming back. This card on the weekend is great from top to bottom, it's stacked. And yet I think a PPV headlined by Nate does better buys. At some stage the UFC might be desperate and pay Nate a lot to fight.

The best comparison is to boxing. MMA pays less at the top and the middle. MMA pays better at the bottom. MMA doesn't pay much at the bottom so * being a boxer not making much. I saw an article about this and I've seen comments from people involved in both MMA and boxing journalism that makes me believe this is true.

Golovkin vs Jacobs did 170,000 PPV buys. Golovkin made $2.5 million and Jacobs made $1.75 million. Nate could do way better than that on PPV right now (without McGregor) and he'd make way less money.

Golovkin's also estimated to have a net worth pretty much the same as McGregor's despite one being an insane PPV draw and the other not at all.

Lol. White tweeted this picture that had Gadelha instead of Andrade on it.

The UFC also put out a press release that the next season of TUF would be women's 125. They said that it was a mistake because it wasn't finalised yet.

I think I heard this on the co-main event podcast. They brought up how Dana White said to not listen to the media and only believe something when it comes from the UFC. Well about that, guess you can't believe anyone now haha.

Nate's been offered fights.

I wanna see him fight but Dana/UFC can't give Nate huge money if realistically he can only get 500-700K ppv buys without McGregor's involvement. It'll set a precedent and every other fighter that can pull similar numbers is gonna ask for more money.

I think it Nate has a fight now with say Ferguson or whatever and he pulls big numbers then he can justify his massive price tag but until then you can't really make all the big of an argument he's THAT big of a draw. He didn't make much at all first Conor fight because he wasn't a draw then fair play to him he realised he deserved more and got it second time around.

Without Conor though where is the proof he deserves his massive price tag?*

*In the camp of all fighters deserve a much bigger slice but right now with the way it's structures I can understand Dana telling him no way.

Although with the amount of times Dana has talked absolute s**t then changed his mind I can't say I'm that confident until it's offical

Pretty ******* happy with that news. Hopefully GSP vs Silva for a number one contender. How it should have been in the first place.

Still don't think either guy deserves a number one contender fight even, but I wanna see that fight and it's far more reasonable than what was originally proposed

I think it Nate has a fight now with say Ferguson or whatever and he pulls big numbers then he can justify his massive price tag but until then you can't really make all the big of an argument he's THAT big of a draw. He didn't make much at all first Conor fight because he wasn't a draw then fair play to him he realised he deserved more and got it second time around.

Without Conor though where is the proof he deserves his massive price tag?*

*In the camp of all fighters deserve a much bigger slice but right now with the way it's structures I can understand Dana telling him no way.
Pretty sure he wanted PPV points on his current contract. His last disclosed pay was 2 mil but I highly he would be on that from fight to fight. And he got PPV points.

Make the interim fight, give him his PPV points and see what happens. They literally don't have to pay him if he doesn't draw big numbers. And even then he would be at the top of the card most likely, as the "A side", so he deserves it for at least that fight.

For a company with more money than sense now, and what should be an endless pool of resources, what a freakin' mess.

Pretty much everyone's posts the last few pages are spot on, but I really get where BradWCE is coming from, Dana needs to move on now, all these years on the gear has fried his brain.

DW is poisonous to the brand these days, it's more and more evident with each passing day. The best organisation, letting the best fighters in the world walk out in droves, while even more sit on the sidelines refusing to work. Something's gotta give.

Incidentally, i'm really looking forward to the Rory vs Daley fight. Daley saying Rory gave up in the Robbie fight. lol.

For a company with more money than sense now, and what should be an endless pool of resources, what a freakin' mess.

Pretty much everyone's posts the last few pages are spot on, but I really get where BradWCE is coming from, Dana needs to move on now, all these years on the gear has fried his brain.

Very rare to see 90% of people agree on any topic in the world even outside of sport. This whole UFC saga about money fights and rankings though clearly imo is pissing off 90% of fans at least. I can't actually find anyone agreeing with it all?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also big news on FoxSports apparently Dana said Bisping vs GSP is off and now Romero will be fighting Bisping for the title!
http://www.foxsports.com.au/ufc/ufc...k/news-story/c7a56c17722b7fd60f4d217134a8d624

The other interesting bit was suggesting the possibility of Whittaker fighting for the title in Australia.

I'd love for them to put a bit more promotional work into Whittaker, cos an Australian fighting for a title should fill Etihad Stadium. I feel like it'd depend on his opponent at the moment though - Bisping, maybe they could do it at Etihad, but Romero or anyone else and they're probably just looking at Rod Laver.

The other interesting bit was suggesting the possibility of Whittaker fighting for the title in Australia.

I'd love for them to put a bit more promotional work into Whittaker, cos an Australian fighting for a title should fill Etihad Stadium. I feel like it'd depend on his opponent at the moment though - Bisping, maybe they could do it at Etihad, but Romero or anyone else and they're probably just looking at Rod Laver.

I think that any Whittaker title fight would fill Etihad, UFC is just getting bigger and bigger over here and Whittaker is gaining popularity slowly even though he should be a huge star.

I know its more convenient to fight in your home country but the best promotional work that can be done for Rob is to fight in the US and keep taking guys out. He certainly doesn't need promotion in this country. The numbers we had attending Etihad and Rod Laver Arena (crowd went nuts in Rob's fight against Brunson) speaks for itself. I think in his last couples fights, neutral observers have started to take notice of him in one of more popular weight divisions in the UFC.

I think that any Whittaker title fight would fill Etihad, UFC is just getting bigger and bigger over here and Whittaker is gaining popularity slowly even though he should be a huge star.
The new WA government could do with some greasing of the wheels that promised to repeal the cage ban once they got in. They've been dragging their feet on the issue. The UFC already committed to coming to Perth once it's been lifted - a title fight is pretty good incentive for the state government and it's coffers.

The new WA government could do with some greasing of the wheels that promised to repeal the cage ban once they got in. They've been dragging their feet on the issue. The UFC already committed to coming to Perth once it's been lifted - a title fight is pretty good incentive for the state government and it's coffers.
What venue would you use? on't really know any out that way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back