news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Only recently got around to watching MacDonald/Daley. Pretty much a flawless performance from Rory. Hard to take much away from it, though. One thing is that MacDonald looked a lot more comfortable exchanging than he did against Thompson.

I haven't seen the fight yet, but know what you mean about the Thompson fight. We've seen Rory stand and trade with Condit, Woodley and Nate Diaz with a fair amount of success as well as lighting up BJ Penn on the feet, but he looked petrified to exchange against Thompson. He did open up a bit in the fifth round from memory, but his offense seemed to be entirely Imanari rolls and takedown attempts from a long way out in the first 4 rounds. I'm glad to hear he's back to looking comfortable on his feet against a dangerous striker.

I haven't seen the fight yet, but know what you mean about the Thompson fight. We've seen Rory stand and trade with Condit, Woodley and Nate Diaz with a fair amount of success as well as lighting up BJ Penn on the feet, but he looked petrified to exchange against Thompson. He did open up a bit in the fifth round from memory, but his offense seemed to be entirely Imanari rolls and takedown attempts from a long way out in the first 4 rounds. I'm glad to hear he's back to looking comfortable on his feet against a dangerous striker.
Yeah all those damn Imanari rolls. From memory, I think he surprised Thompson a bit with the first one and nearly got something going. The following ones didn't look like having any chance of success.

I remember later in the Thompson fight he did close the distance between them a bit. It was really weird and not very effective. He put his arms up in a really high guard and just walked forward.

The funny thing is that I don't think Daley landed one strike. MacDonald was happy to close the distance and throw heavy strikes. He landed a number of nice strikes for the short amount of time that the fight was on the feet for.

MacDonald vs the winner of Lima/Larkin will be interesting.

Krylov's had his first fight outside the UFC. He picked up a quick submission over a clearly outmatched opponent. I think there was some confusion in the end over whether the UFC cut Krylov or if he decided not to sign with them. I think he said he decided not to sign with the UFC because he could make more money outside the UFC. Hopefully that's right, and good for him.

Bigfoot Silva also fought on this card. Got knocked out again. I wish he'd stop fighting but maybe he has to for the money. If he's just fighting because he loves to fight, then someone close to him should try and get him to stop.

Excited for that Korean Zombie vs Lamas fight
Sucks about KZ doing his knee. Replacement for Lamas is rising star Jason Knight.

then there's this..

There is renewed optimism surrounding a potential Cris Cyborg vs. Megan Anderson fight at 214 on 7/29. Not done yet but it's getting close.

— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) June 7, 2017

Big step up for Knight, but this should be a great fight. Knight reminds me of a smaller Diaz brother with his slick stand up and dangerous bottom game and he should prove to be dangerous wherever Lamas decides to take the fight.

Glad to hear Anderson's name back in the mix as she's the only name at 145 worth Cyborg's time. I don't like her chances, but would like to see her get the opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bellator announced they got Mauro Ranallo and Mike Goldberg the other day. And you guys are talking about how good it is that they got Goldberg. Um, okay. Ranallo is way better than Goldberg.

From what I've seen, it looks like Goldberg will be commentating and Ranallo will be doing some stuff at a desk in between fights. That's awful.

The best thing would have been if Bellator got Ranallo to commentate, and Goldberg just left MMA completely.

Never got the love for Ranallo personally (admitidly only know him from one or two viewings of his time in WWE)
I think he takes some getting used to (haven't heard his WWE stuff though). First time I heard him commentating was in Strikeforce and I didn't like him much. I think in Strikeforce he was way over the top though iirc. He was really good in Pride imo. More recently I've liked his commentary for Showtime Boxing and Glory Kickboxing.

It's pretty amazing that he's commentated MMA, boxing, kickboxing and pro-wrestling.

I just think that he's a lot better than Goldberg, which to me isn't a high bar to clear.

I think he takes some getting used to (haven't heard his WWE stuff though). First time I heard him commentating was in Strikeforce and I didn't like him much. I think in Strikeforce he was way over the top though iirc. He was really good in Pride imo. More recently I've liked his commentary for Showtime Boxing and Glory Kickboxing.

It's pretty amazing that he's commentated MMA, boxing, kickboxing and pro-wrestling.

I just think that he's a lot better than Goldberg, which to me isn't a high bar to clear.
Actually I had heard him in strike force too, forgot about that. But yeah was the same in WWE, really over the top. And yeah, wasn't a massive fan of Goldberg either, didn't hate him or anything, but wasn't upset when he left either.

Bellator announced they got Mauro Ranallo and Mike Goldberg the other day. And you guys are talking about how good it is that they got Goldberg. Um, okay. Ranallo is way better than Goldberg.

From what I've seen, it looks like Goldberg will be commentating and Ranallo will be doing some stuff at a desk in between fights. That's awful.

The best thing would have been if Bellator got Ranallo to commentate, and Goldberg just left MMA completely.
Each to their own. I like the guy. No doubt he'll be good for Bellator.

Last edited:

I miss Goldberg, not because of his amazing commentary skills though. He's like the drunk uncle at a family gathering who you dreaded getting stuck talking to, but missed once he was gone. The way he was sent out was pretty sh*tty too considering he'd been the face of the broadcast for around 20 years. Still, we'll always have the memories....

Renallo is good, but I've never really taken a shine to him personally. Always preferred Quadros in that commentary pairing.

Goldberg was a goof... but he was our goof.

I had my moments of hating him, but I do miss him. Him and Rogan worked well together, warts and all.

It's like face the pain. There are definitely better options out there but it wouldn't seem right without it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back