news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Really! Who thought that saying the names like that is good for business? Its only 10 seconds but jeez man..its rough

Hex ring announcer doing his best Pride FC impression

It's the same woman from Pride. I believe she pre-records the Intel's though.

Nickos66, your mate did a great job! At striking range he looked pretty vulnerable as O'Connor looked much quicker and was throwing with some real heat. Lockett did a great job of staying composed though and then went about doing exactly what you talked about... he kept his opponent in the clinch and smothered him. O'Connor was wearing down and then he jumped to the guillotine to finish.

Sterge, bad luck for Lance but I'm sure he'll learn a lot from that. Atzori was like a leech... just wouldn't give him any room and I feel like it caused Lance to headhunt a bit when he did eventually manage to break free. What had impressed me so much in his last fight was his patience and precision when he hurt his opponent, but I didn't see that last night. A loss to a grinder like that who has way more experienced is nothing to be ashamed of though. He'll know what to expect next time he comes up against a fighter like that and I'm sure his trainers will have him prepared.

Adesanya looked like a beast! I'd only seen highlights before last night and didn't realise how big he was. 6'3 at middleweight puts him up there with Rockhold for size and his striking would worry most. The fight didn't tell us too much about his grappling, bit he did get up well after being taken down and hit a nice throw just after that too so he's clearly got some skills there. I know he's been on the UFC's radar, but I'd like to see him defend his belt at least once before a call up, preferably against a good grappler.

Potter and Becker was a great fight. Becker' S grappling looked to be carrying him towards the title, but his striking defence let him down on more than one occasion in the fight. Potter doesn't look all that fluid on the feet, but wad able to land regularly and hurt Becker several times. At 33 and admittedly in his "last run" I hope he gets a fight in Perth on the upcoming UFC card.

I enjoyed the main event more than I'd expected. Warby just wouldn't go away and Crute showed some real growth in his stand up from his last few fights. The two wheel kicks he tried were laughably bad though and his insistence on trying to force the mount to arm triangle finish when Warby had been defending it so we'll leads me to think his fight IQ needs to improve before a call up to the UFC. At his age though and with his strength and grappling, he's a very different prospect for an Aussie.

Frank Barca is annoying as hell as a ring announcer, the last HEX card here he was unbearable after 3-4 hours. Apparently being a 10th planet black belt takes you places. :p

I'd love to know who thought it would be a good idea to give him a microphone. He does know BJJ well, but his commentary style is terrible. He seems like he's trying to pull off the same style as Schiavelo but constantly loses his train of thought and ends up just yelling stuff that doesn't make sense.

It's the same woman from Pride. I believe she pre-records the Intel's though.

Nickos66, your mate did a great job! At striking range he looked pretty vulnerable as O'Connor looked much quicker and was throwing with some real heat. Lockett did a great job of staying composed though and then went about doing exactly what you talked about... he kept his opponent in the clinch and smothered him. O'Connor was wearing down and then he jumped to the guillotine to finish.

Sterge, bad luck for Lance but I'm sure he'll learn a lot from that. Atzori was like a leech... just wouldn't give him any room and I feel like it caused Lance to headhunt a bit when he did eventually manage to break free. What had impressed me so much in his last fight was his patience and precision when he hurt his opponent, but I didn't see that last night. A loss to a grinder like that who has way more experienced is nothing to be ashamed of though. He'll know what to expect next time he comes up against a fighter like that and I'm sure his trainers will have him prepared.

Adesanya looked like a beast! I'd only seen highlights before last night and didn't realise how big he was. 6'3 at middleweight puts him up there with Rockhold for size and his striking would worry most. The fight didn't tell us too much about his grappling, bit he did get up well after being taken down and hit a nice throw just after that too so he's clearly got some skills there. I know he's been on the UFC's radar, but I'd like to see him defend his belt at least once before a call up, preferably against a good grappler.

Potter and Becker was a great fight. Becker' S grappling looked to be carrying him towards the title, but his striking defence let him down on more than one occasion in the fight. Potter doesn't look all that fluid on the feet, but wad able to land regularly and hurt Becker several times. At 33 and admittedly in his "last run" I hope he gets a fight in Perth on the upcoming UFC card.

I enjoyed the main event more than I'd expected. Warby just wouldn't go away and Crute showed some real growth in his stand up from his last few fights. The two wheel kicks he tried were laughably bad though and his insistence on trying to force the mount to arm triangle finish when Warby had been defending it so we'll leads me to think his fight IQ needs to improve before a call up to the UFC. At his age though and with his strength and grappling, he's a very different prospect for an Aussie.

Looked like he just got worn out by having a bloke sit on him for 3 rounds so when he did get to throw he was gassed. First fight that has gone past early in the 2nd round like you said lots of experience from that fight.

Last edited:
I finally saw the footage, stoked for him - it was a high paced fight. Like you said, a lot of heat thrown, apparently all of it bar maybe 1 or 2 shots just hit gloves and didn't get through - mostly loaded up single shots.
Apparently Frank Barca was pestering him for 25 mins about his rubber guard after the fight, practically with his hand down his own pants. :rolleyes:

holy s**t

Jeremy Stephens vs Doo Ho Choi.

My body is ready

Can’t wait.

If anyone surprisingly hasn’t seen it, go watch the fight against Cub from last year.

Shame it will be over a year in between fights for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t wait.

If anyone surprisingly hasn’t seen it, go watch the fight against Cub from last year.

Shame it will be over a year in between fights for him.

Yeah, was hoping he'd fight Fili and build on the momentum from the Cub fight but his injuries are really keeping him from doing that.

**** that.. 7.5 kgs is a huge amount off her frame. Needs to move up pronto.

At least she is well compensated financially. Imagine doing this s**t for 10 and 10. Or even worse... A couple hundred bucks on the regional scene.

That's horrific. I can't believe this sport still lets its athletes do this - or even encourages them to do it. Surely we have enough knowledge about the damage dramatic cuts can do to legislate a maximum weight cut.

conor apparently looking at another boxing fight this time against pac man
Can't imagine the UFC allowing this unless McGregor at the very least defends the Lightweight belt first.

and I don't wanna see him box again.

Good riddance to him. I know there are many, many McGregor fan boys who think his s**t doesn't stink, but I've never been one.

If you don't be an MMA fighter, don't ******* be one. I'm more than happy for him to make money getting beaten up in boxing bouts that I won't watch. It's a short term way to go about making his millions though.

Can't imagine the UFC allowing this unless McGregor at the very least defends the Lightweight belt first.

and I don't wanna see him box again.

he is basically saying he is happy to fight mma if the opponent is worth it. pretty much enjoying his stroke and wanting fighters to lobby to fight him also looks like pac man is the one calling him out. mind you if i made 140m in 1 fight getting back in the cage for 3/4m wouldn't interest me rightly or wrongly he is the biggest name in the sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Back