news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The Rockhold vs Gustaffson fight is actually incredibly meaningful for LHW.

The division has an unclear future. Jones won't be back for a while.

If Rockhold wins, he won't fight DC. But he's then beaten the no1 contender, so it would be a strange spot, guess he fights the next best for title.

If Gustaffson wins its easier but still you'd want DC to come back, which is no certainty.

Assuming were talking about the below quote from Dana regarding 227

“In my perfect world, if everything goes perfect, and nothing ever goes perfect in this world, [it will be] Dillashaw vs Garbrandt, GSP vs Diaz would be the co-main, Gustafsson vs Rockhold and Brunson vs Antonio Carlos Jr.,” White said. “It’s very interesting.”

That is a big card, FWIW I think DC retires either way, as a two division champion or on a loss to Stipe. Hes 39 and has been on the wrestling lifestyle for a long long time.

Is DC even intending on fighting at LHW again after he fights Stipe?? I figure he has 2-3 fights left after that fight.

That might've factored partly into Rockhold's thinking to move up.

Well he will still be LHW champ either way so JG22 is absolutely right to ask the question but yeh, I would think if he loses its 100% curtains on a career, if he wins maybe he defends once or twice.

I think he retires either way and 100% no way he fights at LHW again.

I don't recall, sounds reasonable thought.

Will his +1 fight be at heavyweight or LHW? (assuming he loses)
You'd have to think if Stipe beats him he defends his belt. Who knows though, Stipe may just punch him straight into retirement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd have to think if Stipe beats him he defends his belt. Who knows though, Stipe may just punch him straight into retirement.

Yeh that's the wrinkle I guess. I doubt he fights again after this (maybe he does if he wins, big payday against brock or something) but if he loses (which we expect) and he does fight again where does he do it? And what id Rockhold is the #1 contender at that stage.

Next few PPVs actually might get some good numbers and could get the UFC back rating, probably the best they can do without Conor, Lesnar, etc.

225 so stacked but not sure how high it will rate in reality with Whittaker Romero headline.

All can come crashing down via injury, missing weight.

As always I assume they are all on something but it is surprising he got popped 40 years old and his first violation
He was also in the x25 club.

Surely we have seen enough by now to give benefit of the doubt until proven, or at least not assume guilt.

Especially after what happen to Dos Santos recently.

Gee Woodley is annoying at times.

Wants to fight on UFC 227, likely too quick a turn around from 225 for RDA/CC. Saying as if he doesn't care the opponent cause I want to fight on 227.

How can you dodge the bloody interim champ when your the champ. Not that UFC will let him get away with that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back