news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't mind CM Punk as he seemed to get a lot of hate in the build up

But wow that was so weird watching amateur sport in a professional league
Guess it didn't help it went to the distance

Didn't mind CM Punk as he seemed to get a lot of hate in the build up

But wow that was so weird watching amateur sport in a professional league
Guess it didn't help it went to the distance
It looked like they got some random from the crowd to fight a real fighter. Punk's offence looked so bad it made his ground game defence against Gall look ok'ish.

Sounds like there might be another local card this year after comments from Dana & co.

My early guess would be something like UFC 231 Whittaker vs Gastelum.
Sydney, early December.

Reports suggesting UFC225 only did 150k PPV buys. That's not good; for the UFC and Rob.

These reports are usually pretty accurate, although even if its double that number, it is still well under what would have been expected for such a stacked and expensive card (for the UFC).

Really tough to understand how the UFC is selling worse than it was a decade ago...

Reports suggesting UFC225 only did 150k PPV buys. That's not good; for the UFC and Rob.

These reports are usually pretty accurate, although even if its double that number, it is still well under what would have been expected for such a stacked and expensive card (for the UFC).

Really tough to understand how the UFC is selling worse than it was a decade ago...
Rob needs a bit more promoting and Yoel needs to make weight.

Rob needs a bit more promoting and Yoel needs to make weight.
That's never going to happen for Rob. He is clearly more than content making what he does and doing it his way (relatively out of the spotlight).

and I can't imagine people didn't buy just because Yoel didn't make weight by .2 pounds. That is possible I suppose, but that's such a weird reason.

That's never going to happen for Rob. He is clearly more than content making what he does and doing it his way (relatively out of the spotlight).

and I can't imagine people didn't buy just because Yoel didn't make weight by .2 pounds. That is possible I suppose, but that's such a weird reason.
Dunno, I reckon a lot of peeps would have dropped the ppv because of Yoel missing weight, especially missing back to back.

edit: Yeah Yoel missing weight probably isn't changing buys by too much.
They went from 130K in their initial fight to 150K this time.
I'd imagine buys to watch Rob will continue to grow, but they'll probs never be huge.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mma hour about to take a drop in viewers

Helwani has joined ESPN I believe.

I believe he is dropping the live chat podcast.. so this is basically a rebranding and re structuring of that.

He said it'll have fan call ins, interviews and breakdowns. I think it'll be good. Still get the normal MMA hour and a more professional version of the live chat.

Oh and I heard on Fight Week this week Cerrone talking about an Australian UFC event later this year, they didn't say what city though, does anyone know? I think they said not Sydney, maybe Melbourne is due again?
Should be Melbourne but Adelaide and Brisbane are due too. Perth and Sydney have both had one in the last 12 Months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back