news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Green dominated him throughout the fight (not what 2 of the 3 judges thought though).

Have a feeling he will be fighting again.

first round was promising for a close fight, then Green controlled it pretty much after that without being super damaging I thought, though I know nothing really about boxing.

Kongo and Struve have agreed to fight at UFC 146 over twitter. Nothing official but they guys want to do it. If this fight stays on the feet then Struve is having a sleep. If it goes to the ground then Kongo is getting finished very quickly!

Fun fight, but meaningless.

I wouldn't be so sure that Struve gets put to sleep if it stays standing. Lately he's looked a lot better on the feet, particularly with his use of the jab to keep distance. One good thing about this is that you wouldn't think Kongo will try turning this into a wrestling match.

I don't think it's a meaningless fight either. I think Kongo's destined to be a gatekeeper whether he wins or not but Struve is still very young and capable of becoming a legit contender down the road. He'd want to beat Kongo though.

Hendricks when he is 215 pounds:

428832_10100211108379351_567136237_n.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pat Barry has a fight coming up against Shane del Rosario on December 15, but he has made 208 lbs only 3 weeks out from a fight at heavyweight! I think that he, Roy Nelson and Daniel Cormier would all be a lot harder to deal with if they dropped to 205. Barry could make it because of his height, he wasn't too chubby, but the other two boys could make it if they dropped some body fat.

Barry has no ground game (that we've seen in the cage), but he would have some fun fights at LHW

proxy.jpg

What do you guys think about Bisping's proposal?

http://sports.espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/id/15450/silvas-sabattical-from-185-is-problematic

“Myself and Weidman are the No. 1 and No. 2 contenders to Anderson Silva's middleweight title,” he wrote. “And, yep, in that damn order! But Weidman is now out for up to six months and Anderson won't be fighting until May -- and even then it looks like it won't be a middleweight title defense.

“Anderson could win and then fight Jon Jones at light heavyweight in September and go the entire year -- 18 months and more -- since defending the middleweight belt. Or GSP could win or Anderson get hurt ... the fight could even be moved to mid-summer for venue reasons ... a million things could happen even when we get to May.”

What's the proposal? Interim belt? Who would he fight for it? Middleweight is a bit of a mess at the moment.
The article mentions how he said not long ago that him and Belfort should be for the interim title. Then later in the article it quotes him on how he and Weidman are the number 1 and 2 contenders. His fight with Belfort being for the interim title doesn't make much sense to me then, fight Belfort and if he wins that then maybe an interim title fight can get set up between Bisping and Weidman.

I don't really like the idea of interim titles, especially when the champion isn't injured or incapable for some reason of defending their title. Silva could be waiting around to fight a challenger at middleweight but instead wants to be in a superfight, that's cool. I don't think interim titles are for this situation though, keep the division going and then whoever of the top contenders has continued winning gets the shot at Silva when he comes back.

Exactly, he doesn't want the fight. Clearly scared? Nah. No more scared than Anderson is of Jones.
Different situation, and I think Anderson would fight Jones if push came to shove. But GSP is the fight everyone has been talking about for years, and that's what should be next.

Georges and his 'Anderson weighs 234 pounds' line is simply embarrassing.

Different situation, and I think Anderson would fight Jones if push came to shove. But GSP is the fight everyone has been talking about for years, and that's what should be next.

Georges and his 'Anderson weighs 234 pounds' line is simply embarrassing.
Oh yeah, the 234 pounds part was weird. So you don't think GSP will end up fighting Silva? I don't think he wants the fight right now but eventually I think it'll happen.

Oh yeah, the 234 pounds part was weird. So you don't think GSP will end up fighting Silva? I don't think he wants the fight right now but eventually I think it'll happen.
I think he will, although it sounds like Dana has a lot of convincing to do.

When will GSP want it, Anderson isn't getting any younger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back