news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

I saw this but I call bullshit.

The 2 McGregor v Diaz fights were headliners of a PPV and neither were for belts.

Unless of course Cowboy are McGregor are arguing over PPV points

Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton, Mount Buller Demons

Sign me up. Everyone seemed to believe Aldo was done. How about this late career resurgence for him? He still has it and is no joke. Volkanovksi was impressive against Mendes, but outside of that fight, Aldo is a big jump in quality for him.

I can't remember exactly what Aldo said around his last fight, but it was something real savage about how he isn't fussed about if he gets a title or not, but he was going to make sure life for the others in the division is hell. This is arguably a #1 contender fight (although, I don't wish to see Holloway Aldo III). It is the PPV after Max fights for the Interim LW title. Interesting times.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think Holloway’s done at 145 for now.
Especially if he wins v Dustin.

The UFC don’t want him there. He’s relatively compliant.

Brings the division alive a little, but can make it feel like it’s missing something, especially when Max has absolutely destroyed Ortega and Aldo.

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think Holloway’s done at 145 for now.
Especially if he wins v Dustin.

The UFC don’t want him there. He’s relatively compliant.

Brings the division alive a little, but can make it feel like it’s missing something, especially when Max has absolutely destroyed Ortega and Aldo.

Spot on. Max does what he's told because like he said "I ask for the toughest fight - Dana sends me the contract - I sign." He's a true fighters fighter and Dana wants him at LW. Max will comply.

The best hope for the FW division if Max moves up for good, is someone like Volk beating Aldo. Aldo or Ortega as the champ after what Max did to both of them is a little bit of a hit for the divisions immediate standing.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Spot on. Max does what he's told because like he said "I ask for the toughest fight - Dana sends me the contract - I sign." He's a true fighters fighter and Dana wants him at LW. Max will comply.

The best hope for the FW division if Max moves up for good, is someone like Volk beating Aldo. Aldo or Ortega as the champ after what Max did to both of them is a little bit of a hit for the divisions immediate standing.
Yeah I was going to mention that on Holloway.

He is about as complaint as fighters now get, you pick the fights and I fight them. Game as *.

Zabit is a prospect at 145 though.

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah I was going to mention that on Holloway.

He is about as complaint as fighters now get, you pick the fights and I fight them. Game as ****.

Zabit is a prospect at 145 though.

I feel Zabit may be another we see at 155lb. He's got all the talent in the world - but he seems to have some gas tank issues at 145lb! I imagine he has a tough cut at 6'2? 6'3? Absolute gun though!

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I feel Zabit may be another we see at 155lb. He's got all the talent in the world - but he seems to have some gas tank issues at 145lb! I imagine he has a tough cut at 6'2? 6'3? Absolute gun though!
Yeah he’s a giraffe compared to the 145ers

Think the UFC just fancy him as a prospect down there

I wasn’t super impressed by him v Stephens

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah he’s a giraffe compared to the 145ers

Think the UFC just fancy him as a prospect down there

I wasn’t super impressed by him v Stephens

With ya there mate, didn't look 'amazing' Vs Stephens - but Stephens has been around for a minute and a bit! Not many look great against him!

A lot of complaining going on with title structures being a mess and I understand it - but f*** me, fight wise it's a fantastic time to be a fan; loved this s**t since about 98'. Great level of talent right now!

Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Anaheim Ducks, LA Rams
With ya there mate, didn't look 'amazing' Vs Stephens - but Stephens has been around for a minute and a bit! Not many look great against him!

A lot of complaining going on with title structures being a mess and I understand it - but f*** me, fight wise it's a fantastic time to be a fan; loved this s**t since about 98'. Great level of talent right now!
Its definitely a great time to be a UFC fan. I just wish there was more competition in the HW and LHW divisions.

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Its definitely a great time to be a UFC fan. I just wish there was more competition in the HW and LHW divisions.

Yeah mate absolutely! It's hard though - not many humans are that big, let alone athletes, let alone athletes that can take a punch, let alone athletes that can take a punch and want to fight instead of play a $$ sport. :(

Let's hope these young guys like Walker, Reyes, Oleksiujczuk & Pedro can reignite LHW.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Horrible news. I used to work as a psych nurse. Sounds like he is having a psychotic episode.if he gets diagnosed with schizophrenia his fighting days might be over.
He's had a big year or two with injury and missed opportunities. Maybe it's got the better of him and he's hit the drugs..christ knows.
It's all just weird, cause Tony is always such a dude, and has always seemed very mentally tough.

Back