General motorsport news thread

Remove this Banner Ad

7drHiqr.gif

I'd care more if AMW drove for them. If you'd said that all the Porsche LMP1 cars would hit trouble you'd have laughed....... and said well done Toyota.

Unreal they've ALL hit trouble.

Congrats to the Kiwi pair :
Porsche sealed an unlikely victory at the Le Mans 24 Hours with a last to first recovery drive which saw it take control of the French classic with just an hour left in the race.

It ended a frantic chase back through the field for the #2 Porsche 919 Hybrid, which suffered a front axle drive problem on Saturday afternoon and lost two hours in the garage.

Once back out on track the car, driven by Timo Bernhard and New Zealand duo Brendon Hartley and Earl Bamber, languished more than ten laps adrift of the race leader, and eight laps off the leading LMP2 entry which dramatically became the outright race leader with four hours of the race remaining.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/06/18/le-mans-porsche-storms-back-victory-le-sarthe/

The 40th edition of the Suzuka 8 Hours race is being run this weekend. Yamaha will again be favourites with their team of Alex Lowes, Michael van der Mark and Kats Nakasuga looking to retain their title from last year but Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki all have strong teams to challenge.

Australia, looking for our first winner since Gardner/Beattie won in '92, again is well represented this year headed up by Jack Miller racing for the factory Musashi Harc-Pro Honda team who have been very fast so far. Former podium getter, Josh Hook, has been called into the crack FCC Technical Honda squad replacing Stefan Bradl who has an inner ear infection. Two-time podium finisher - including last year - Josh Brookes will again race for the Yoshimura Suzuki team but will be racing sore after an incredible save in practice on Friday.

Alex Cudlin will be racing for the Suzuki Endurance Racing Team and Broc Parkes with the Yamaha Austria Racing Team from the Endurance World Championship. Parkes is a possible podium chance.

Damien Cudling, Jamie Stauffer and Jason O'Halloran are all Honda mounted, Josh Waters is racing with the same Suzuki team he rode with last year (think they might have been top 10 or 6) and Ant West is riding a Yamaha R1 in the superstock class.

It is live on Fox or on official streams if you want to watch it.

So, the factory Yamaha team have dominated their way to pole position. Josh Brookes team will line up second with Team Green Kawasaki third. Hook, Miller and Parkes all start on the second row. Alex Cudlin will start out of 11th, his brother Damien from 14th, Waters 16th, O'Halloran and Stauffer 18th, Aitchison 23rd and Ant West 25th (and second fastest superstock bike). Also of note, Akira Yanagawa is still going 'round and will start from 29 and imadodgyumpire , your boy Shinichi Ito is still riding and will start 14th.

You know who's my favourite "elderly" Japanese rider?

Tetsuya Harada.

**** I loved him in 250s!

Good choice. Absolutely robbed in '98.

I've liked lots of Japanese riders over the years. Youichi Ui, Norick Abe, Nori Haga were all nuts, Yanagawa was a Kawasaki hero but my favourite was Daijiro Kato. Still miss him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Miller is on board, in the lead and scorching!

Has been an interesting first hour. Drizzly rain has seen plenty of riders go down. Early days the factory Yamaha, Musashi Honda and Team Green Kawasaki were neck and neck before the Kwak started to drop back. For outright pace, it's all the Honda and Yamaha. Still 7 hours to go though so plenty of opportunity for things to go wrong.

The factory Yamaha team of Nakasuga, Lowes and van der Mark ended up streeting the field with only Team Green Kawasaki finishing on the lead lap. Lowes smashed the race lap record by over half a second. A bunch of Aussies made it into the top 10. Josh Hook finished on the podium in third (though I'm unsure he even got a ride!) and Jack Miller's team finished fourth. Fifth, and lead Endurance World Championship runner was Broc Parkes YART team. After crashing on the second lap and dropping to dead last with a four lap deficit, Josh Brookes team blazed their way to an impressive 7th place finish. Josh Waters had another impressive 8 hours coming home 9th and Jason O'Halloran and Jamie Stauffer rounded out the top ten.

I've never really watched endurance racing before and I really enjoyed it. It's certainly different to the usual "sprint" racing, not in the least for having 65 entries and seeing great swathes of the field being lapped 12 laps into the race! It looks spectacular under lights too.

It's hard to follow because it's not on tv, and we can't watch together as anonymous internet posters. But I tell you what. The end of the WRC could be a real humdinger! Thierry Neuville and Sebastien Ogier are tied on points, with Neuville leading the title race due to one extra win. I think it'll be the first season where power stage points can make a difference, and may be that the championship will be decided at the final power stage at Rally Australia!

He did everything, called the 97 prelim vs the Dogs which is my all time Crows memory.

Brilliant caller.

He did everything, called the 97 prelim vs the Dogs which is my all time Crows memory.

Brilliant caller.

The crows are in the grand final........SIREN !!!!

Jason Doyle finished third for the night behind Bartosz Zmarzlik and the winner, Matej Zagar.

Doyle now leads the championship by a commanding 22 points with two rounds left to play. He is 21 points away from clinching his first world title and going some way to making up for the disappointment of last year.

Not sure what would be better, coming to Melbourne as the world champ or winning it at his home race. Either way, go Doyle!!

R.I.P. Maxime Berger. :(

2007 European Superstock 600 champion Maxime Berger lost his life on Monday 2 October after an attempted suicide one month before had deprived him of vital cerebral function, and he had to be put on life support. Berger had been said to be suffering from depression for some time and had been admitted to hospital before making his suicide bid.

His life support was finally switched off as he had no hope of recovery, and he passed away in Dijon in his native France at 18.15 on Monday 2nd.

More top-level rides did not come his way and according to reports from France he struggled to adjust to normal life, which contributed to his eventual suicide bid.

A passionate competitor in his approach to his racing career, Berger passed away at the age of 28. His funeral will take place on Monday, October 9, near Dijon.
https://amcn.com.au/editorial/21265/

Former multiple Australian supercross and motocross champion, and one of my first favourite riders, Peter "Reggie" Melton died this week. There has been no confirmation of the cause but the talk is he died whilst riding on a Brisbane motocross track.
R.I.P. Reggie. :(

Peter-Melton-Marlboro-Yamaha.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back