General motorsport news thread

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
Where to? As far as widespread interest goes, I'd say nowhere.

There's one thing I think could work for them, but it won't recover any of the "glory days" they thought they had. They can have the same cars/teams they've always had, and call them "Bathurst cars", the same way Indycars got their name using the Indy 500.

The Bathurst 1000 resonates with the wider public, more than "supercars" do, and even more than what the Ford/Holden rivalry does nowadays. Calling it a "Bathurst car" takes away a lot of the restrictions supercars have with the Ford/Holden rivalry. It takes always the pressure of them having to pump themselves up all the time or having to be relevant to general motoring, and allows them to keep their more valuable events (or even enhance them) like Adelaide, Darwin, Townsville etc.

The ATCC title should go to TCR sooner than later.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2007
Showers Stand
AFL Club
Essendon
It's something I've been pondering for the last few days.

There does not seem to be a need for car manufacturers who sell full size sedan-y type cars in this country to get involved in the series. You would have to wonder what sort of benefit a company like Holden will derive from it's involvement in Supercars now that they are not burdened with trying to sell locally made Commodores.

Ford clearly made a decision in the late 2000's when they cancelled the local Focus manufacturing and the V6 Ford Falcon, and when they pretty much let Triple 8 walk to Holden, that the days of local manufacturing were coming to an end. Gone were the Falcon ads and the tie ins to Supercar teams and drivers, and in came the Fiesta and Focus ads and the shift in attention towards a new type of buyer. Generally Female, generally inner-city. If it wasn't for the availability and the current tearaway success of a RHD Mustang, then there'd be no reason for Ford to continue the minimal support they were giving the two Ford teams in the recent past.

I feel Holden are probably at that stage now. With no long term Commodore future (realistically) and no full size performance car, what is the future for them in the sport? I think that will force change.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Anyone follow the TA2 muscle car series? Ive never heard of it, but the cars look great.
bathurst2s.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

Scary_Foot_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2013
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham, Cubs, Leafs, Ravens
Anyone else watching Drive to Survive on Netflix?

Nothing earth-shattering but worth watching for the Danny Ric/Horner/Abiteboul drama alone. And it certainly seems from the series DR knew he was leaving Red Bull from the start of the season. Also Guenther Steiner comes across as bit of lege.

Does anyone reckon we'll be starting a TCR thread soon? There hasn't been a huge field confirmed, but a decent calibre of driver of those that are giving it a shot. My tip would be John Martin is going to win this year's series.
Some mad looking cars too

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
ASBK (and the Asian Road Racing Championship) is running at Tailem Bend this weekend. The Bend looks like a fun track to go around and is widely praised for its technical layout but they really do need to start landscaping it. It is largely featureless and after watching four races and a couple of practice sessions today I still couldn't really give any kind of description of the circuit layout. There is nothing memorable about it. Except for maybe the abundance of dirt and dust...

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
ASBK (and the Asian Road Racing Championship) is running at Tailem Bend this weekend. The Bend looks like a fun track to go around and is widely praised for its technical layout but they really do need to start landscaping it. It is largely featureless and after watching four races and a couple of practice sessions today I still couldn't really give any kind of description of the circuit layout. There is nothing memorable about it. Except for maybe the abundance of dirt and dust...
If you've ever been out that way that's the way it is, particularly since we've had no rain out there for about 6 months.

It's something a little out of their control but I agree it's needs greening up