General motorsport news thread

Remove this Banner Ad

An absolute freak!

He is the Jeff Leisk of our time, most likely even more capable.

Willing to bet if Tobes were to race grand prix it wouldn't be Gaiser, Cairoli or Herlings winning the silverware. We'd have our 1st MXGP champ.

EDIT: Herlings might give him a run.
Can’t believe he was 28 with his first Dakar. Imagine if he started earlier.
Results are
Every time he’s finished has been on the podium.
2020: 3rd (2 stage wins)
2019: 1st (1 stage win) with his wrist falling apart
2018: 3rd
2017: ab stage 4 (5th)
2016: 1st
2015: 3rd

Gee it's cruel isn't it?
After what he was able to do just the day before.
Yeah that day before was an unbelievable effort.
To not only not lose much time to the leader, but to finish second on the stage.
I heard Sam Sunderland (who eventually finished 3rd) saying the pace was so hot that if he rode as he was expecting he would be 1/2hr down.

Last edited:
I can see now why Toby smashes the Finke race, at 235km each way, it’s nothing compared to Dakar.
He has not lost the Finke when competing in the bikes. (8x I think)
It’s a lot quicker than Dakar and the bike is a lot faster without all the nav gear and spares.

Called to their cars

oouch: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/02/14/daytona-500-live-updates/

Michael McDowell, who led only one lap — the final lap, which resulted in a fiery multicar crash — seemingly snuck out of nowhere to win the Daytona 500, the first victory of his 14-year career.
“I just can’t believe it,” McDowell admitted to Fox Sports’s Jamie Little after the race. “Just gotta thank God. So many years just grinding it out, hoping for an opportunity like this. . . I’m so thankful. Such a great way to get a first victory. Daytona 500, are you kidding me?!”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

oouch: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/02/14/daytona-500-live-updates/

Michael McDowell, who led only one lap — the final lap, which resulted in a fiery multicar crash — seemingly snuck out of nowhere to win the Daytona 500, the first victory of his 14-year career.
“I just can’t believe it,” McDowell admitted to Fox Sports’s Jamie Little after the race. “Just gotta thank God. So many years just grinding it out, hoping for an opportunity like this. . . I’m so thankful. Such a great way to get a first victory. Daytona 500, are you kidding me?!”
Didn't he cause the crash, bumping into the back of Keselowski and sending him into his team mate? Seems a little unfair to me.

Didn't he cause the crash, bumping into the back of Keselowski and sending him into his team mate? Seems a little unfair to me.
It was the last lap, EVERYONE was pushing.

Queen of the Nurburgring Sabine Schmitz has passed away :'(

I didn't even know she was sick

For those unaware of Sabines work, check out her spin around the Nurburgring in a Ford transit van:
Remembering when Top Gear presenter Sabine Schmitz raced a Ford Transit around the Nürburgring - ABC News
Remembering when Top Gear presenter Sabine Schmitz raced a Ford Transit around the Nürburgring

Always thought she should have come to Aus & given Bathurst the same treatment, RIP Sabine.