Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I still think that Brisbane team was vastly superior to the Hawthorn threepeat team. Doing it as a non-Victorian team team in a stronger league (16 teams VS 18 teams) and having to travel to the Grand Final, compared to Hawthorn who twice got to face a traveling team despite finishing lower on the ladder.

Agreed, Hawthorn had an advantage over many sides during their best of their mystique of being tough and mentally strong. They wouldn't have had that over that Brisbane side. They were a rough bunch of bastards. Probably the best midfield of the modern era at least, guns up forward, an excellent defence with a lot of versatile swing players all over the ground with no real weak points (maybe aside from ruck) and Leigh Matthews at the helm.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
I still think that Brisbane team was vastly superior to the Hawthorn threepeat team. Doing it as a non-Victorian team team in a stronger league (16 teams VS 18 teams) and having to travel to the Grand Final, compared to Hawthorn who twice got to face a traveling team despite finishing lower on the ladder.
Careful not to upset any Hawk supporters among us. Flirting with a backlash.

Tesla Tenet

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
JUST IN: Tom Mitchell has been taken to hospital with a suspected broken leg.

1547168408558.png

Proof AFL supporter groups on facebook suck: Swans fans revelling in this news about Tom.
Disgraceful and embarrassing.

Hawthorn's season is just about over too. Their midfield has to be worse than ours now. Leave it all to O'Meara and an injured Scully? Maybe Wingard forced to be full time mid?

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
Hawthorn's season is just about over too. Their midfield has to be worse than ours now. Leave it all to O'Meara and an injured Scully? Maybe Wingard forced to be full time mid?
They weren't going anywhere even with Mitchell. The Cats, Hawks and Swans will fall for a year or two imo. The rest of the competition has improved a lot.

They weren't going anywhere even with Mitchell. The Cats, Hawks and Swans will fall for a year or two imo. The rest of the competition has improved a lot.
Don't we have one of the youngest lists in the comp? Or at least one of the youngest best 22s? Don't see any reason we should regress too much.

youngest =/= guaranteed improvement.
I'm not sure. I think we're likely to at least see some improvement from a few of Hewett, Hayward, Florent, Aliir, Melican, Mills, Jones and Ronke. Then if a few of the Dawson, Ling, Blakey and O'Riordan types step-up, I see no reason why we can't improve.

I'm hopeful with more opportunities for some players (i.e. Mills and Jones to the mids) that we will see a few take their game to the next level.

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm not sure. I think we're likely to at least see some improvement from a few of Hewett, Hayward, Florent, Aliir, Melican, Mills, Jones and Ronke. Then if a few of the Dawson, Ling, Blakey and O'Riordan types step-up, I see no reason why we can't improve.

I'm hopeful with more opportunities for some players (i.e. Mills and Jones to the mids) that we will see a few take their game to the next level.
Fair but even with those improvements I can't see us catching up to other teams in the competition. Well, not in the near future at least. But things do change quickly in footy.

On the main Sydney Swans facebook group. Just a lot of laughing and "sucked in Hawks" etc.

Facebook sport groups tend to represent to lowest common denominator of fans imo.

Gave up most social media and haven't missed a thing. Toxic pits, most of them.

This forum is pretty much the only thing close to social media I use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back