Analysis 2018 General Offseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all the posts i've seen, I've only seen one Ali bloke make a goose of himself. Did find some irony when some Hawks flog trots in to say not one Hawthorn supporter took pleasure in Franklin playing with an injury last year or his mental health issues (whilst the putting the word drugs in asterisks').

Terrible news for Mitchell, however I dont feel for the hawthorn footy club. They are just about gone this year. One wonders if he will ever be the same player again.

One wonders if he will ever be the same player again.

Luckily for Tom, athleticism isn't what his game is built on. He will be just fine.

Disgraceful and embarrassing.
I think poking fun at our current player injuries like Sam Reid’s or Tippett’s at the time was disgraceful. Sad for Tom but f k the Hawks. So they’ve just lost their midfield. What now? Three years with no finals wins with an ageing list relying on a couple other players who have had crippling injuries & who have question marks over their long term ability to play out their careers in JOM & Scully.
It’s a fine line between a genius & a fool for any recruiting manager. So if those blokes go down what are the Hawks left with since they’ve chosen not to blood any players of sorts yet traded out young Burton to bring in a Softy who doesn’t like it when things get tough in Wngard.
Now tough I know but at least I’m not bagging out on my own club.

I think poking fun at our current player injuries like Sam Reid’s or Tippett’s at the time was disgraceful. Sad for Tom but f k the Hawks. So they’ve just lost their midfield. What now? Three years with no finals wins with an ageing list relying on a couple other players who have had crippling injuries & who have question marks over their long term ability to play out their careers in JOM & Scully.
It’s a fine line between a genius & a fool for any recruiting manager. So if those blokes go down what are the Hawks left with since they’ve chosen not to blood any players of sorts yet traded out young Burton to bring in a Softy who doesn’t like it when things get tough in Wngard.
Mate, don't you ever read this board? We should replicate everything Hawthorn ever does.

Mate, don't you ever read this board? We should replicate everything Hawthorn ever does.
Things can go very pear shaped for the Hawks but hey, they have the 3peat against 3 interstate sides which forgives their current poor decisions in list management which chooses to ignore development of young talent but rather recruit other club’s fully developed stars for short term success.

I thought it was a mistake on the Hawks’ behalf to bank everything on immediate success even though their list wasn’t in the best shape. And I thought that when Mitchell would still be their leading man all year. Their best player going down only compounds it.

But still I think they’re in better shape than some on here believe. Still reckon Worpel is going to be a gun and could have a break out season in Mitchell’s absence. Methinks they’ll finish near us.

Well, someone smart would have looked that up and seen that indeed he retired in 2013 so he'll be eligible this year. I am not one of these people.

Call off the investigation everyone, crisis averted.
In other words who *en cares

I thought it was a mistake on the Hawks’ behalf to bank everything on immediate success even though their list wasn’t in the best shape. And I thought that when Mitchell would still be their leading man all year. Their best player going down only compounds it.

But still I think they’re in better shape than some on here believe. Still reckon Worpel is going to be a gun and could have a break out season in Mitchell’s absence. Methinks they’ll finish near us.
Tom had 90 more clearances than the next Hawk player last season. That’s an average of more than 4 per game more than any other Hawk. He allowed JOM to have more of an outside game. Suddenly JOM becomes an inside mid for more minutes which will kill his knees. Their reliance on Burgoyne will be huge again but how much can he shoulder. Yes Worpel looks ok but again he won’t have most of the attention going to the greatest ball winner the game has ever seen & will have to improve ten fold.

Hows the market shorting the swans to miss the Top 8:

(This is the betfair market for "to make the Top 8". The $536 in the 'lay all' column for the Swans indicates this is the largest pool against any club so far to make the 8.)

View attachment 604540
So that's saying that punters have laid $536 at odds of a little over 2/1 that the swans won't make the finals, right? It doesn't say how many bets have been laid, just the total bet. Which are pretty poor odds when you think about it...

But that can't be right as it has GC at 200/1...

Can you have another go at explaining this for me please?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom had 90 more clearances than the next Hawk player last season. That’s an average of more than 4 per game more than any other Hawk. He allowed JOM to have more of an outside game. Suddenly JOM becomes an inside mid for more minutes which will kill his knees. Their reliance on Burgoyne will be huge again but how much can he shoulder. Yes Worpel looks ok but again he won’t have most of the attention going to the greatest ball winner the game has ever seen & will have to improve ten fold.
Or to put it another way his absence from their midfield will have about the same effect his absence has had from ours. Smashed in the clearances

Hows the market shorting the swans to miss the Top 8:

(This is the betfair market for "to make the Top 8". The $536 in the 'lay all' column for the Swans indicates this is the largest pool against any club so far to make the 8.)

View attachment 604540
We had a poor record for the second half of the year and during the offseason we didn't make any big changes while we lost experience. Should be fully expected we drop out of the top 8

I'm not saying we will drop out of the 8 but I can see why opposition fans believe we will

We had a poor record for the second half of the year and during the offseason we didn't make any big changes while we lost experience. Should be fully expected we drop out of the top 8

I'm not saying we will drop out of the 8 but I can see why opposition fans believe we will

Yep the market is pretty fair I would say. Mind you markets re just volume of money. West Coast were between $20-40 to win the f** before the start of last year

Interesting that the sidelined players during the match sim were Menzel, Buddy, Ling, Tucker and Rowbottom, all of whom are carrying injuries/recovering from injuries so no surprises there. But Reid and Jones were also with them. Anyone with any info on the situation with those two ? Hopefully just being cautious and not a sign of another interrupted pre-season for Reid.

Well you didn't specify the best at what. He's the best at trolling the Swans fan base imo.

I'll suppose it'll have to be Jolly. Although Mummy makes a solid case too. But Jolly because he matched it with Cox and co.

I'd have Jason Ball any day. He taught Jolly. Jolly was a raw ruck when he came to the Swans. A good player but Ball helped him become a Very Good ruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back