Analysis General Player Discussion Thread (formerly 'breakout year' thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Simpkin - to make 20-30 disp. games the norm rather than every other week
LDU - expecting a big jump this year.
Larkey - if he can find some real consistency 2-4 goals/game, watch out
Wood - better late than never?#theshaweffect

I think they'll all benefit from a refreshed game plan and set roles in 2020

Simpkin - to make 20-30 disp. games the norm rather than every other week
LDU - expecting a big jump this year.
Larkey - if he can find some real consistency 2-4 goals/game, watch out
Wood - better late than never?#theshaweffect

I think they'll all benefit from a refreshed game plan and set roles in 2020
Unfortunately I think Wood will never get to the stage that we expected him to get to when we drafted him. But, I hope I'm wrong here!

Ahern: Settled pre-season (tank) and a clearly defined role (HB?) will do wonders.
Larkey: Only going to get stronger and fitter.
Durdin: Big fan of his, already a nice kick and the experience this year was fantastic for him.
Zurhaar: Already had a breakout year, but he can up another level or two in terms of consistency with a greater fitness base.
LDU: For reasons already discussed by others, same with Simpkin.

Ahern: Settled pre-season (tank) and a clearly defined role (HB?) will do wonders.
Larkey: Only going to get stronger and fitter.
Durdin: Big fan of his, already a nice kick and the experience this year was fantastic for him.
Zurhaar: Already had a breakout year, but he can up another level or two in terms of consistency with a greater fitness base.
LDU: For reasons already discussed by others, same with Simpkin.

I'm all aboard the Durdin Zerstorer as well.

He's also surprisingly quick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suspect Simpkin will smash a lot of his PB's and have a much higher average across the board. Obvious choice to explode.

Personally I think Garner might be the one to breakout though. A full preseason under his belt, a bit of contract pressure, a new coach, a glut of similar types causing pressure and competitiveness for spots... If the gameplan under Shaw continues on from where we saw it move last year once he took over, then I think it would suit Garner pretty well. Plus the rumours of skill training actually occurring might do him some wonders, some of his work by foot really let him down at times.

As for resurgence, I think Silver would be my choice. Hoping to see him persist playing tight but then streaming out of the backline and refinding his fabled accurate longkicking to create havoc.

Can't forget Benny Jacobs too! Honestly have no idea what to expect from him, but I'm HOPING for a resurgence!

Durds - last year was equal with Taz for 1% stats per game (which are mostly spoils,) and had the second best DE in the side, behind Taz. Athletic too. I think The acurate one said that he had been given the okay to hit packs and try to mark as well. (??)

Durds - last year was equal with Taz for 1% stats per game (which are mostly spoils,) and had the second best DE in the side, behind Taz. Athletic too. I think The acurate one said that he had been given the okay to hit packs and try to mark as well. (??)

Yep has been told to back himself in, this bloke could be boiled lollies to chocolates. ( fingers crossed) This by the way = coaching, support and mentoring

There's plenty of good reasons to think he will be a big improver. More confidence in his shoulder, bit more muscle and less fat, more km's in the legs etc etc.

He has had a pretty good pre-season to date, that is usually a good indicator, unless we just leave him in the VFL like we did with Ahern for half a season...

I hoping Tarryn steps up a couple cogs, LDU plays with confidence and a bit of arrogance, McKay comes out and surprises me, Kyron gets back on the park and picks up where left off, Curtis gets a red hot crack at it, Hosie uses his speed and aggression to nail a spot, Xerri gets a shot at it and the senior boys come out and play like there's no tomorrow consistently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back