Analysis General Player Discussion Thread (formerly 'breakout year' thread)

discodaddy

All Australian
Jun 13, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
There are no others
Turner and McDonald should be entering their prime

Both to excel next year

Ahern to have a breakout year as our hbf distributer

It will be interesting to see what Shaw can get out of these two blokes - my hunch is that both will play a chunk in the 2's. It might not be a "breakout" per se, but my guess is that we'll be seeing the Bonar pickup as a masterstroke by mid-season.

There's lots to be excited about this coming year. If the players believe that that form will be rewarded there should be strong competition for spots, which will lift training standards and help us to build an identifiable playing "brand" demands respect and is seen each and every week.

Krakoueraddict

Team Captain
May 8, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Simpkin > Consistently breaking games open
Zurhaar > 40+ goals and doubling down on his enforcer status
LDU > 20+ games with 20 disposals per
BJ > Back in the 22, towelling up opps best mids

LMac to be more attacking and consistent

Mahoney to get a few games from the new guys.

TT & LDU to have permanent spots - although TT did already in fairness.

Simpkin builds upon a solid year to go to the next level.

Larks to be consistently dangerous and kick 30-40.

Bailey Scott to own his own wing by seasons end.

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Maj, Wood and Scott for me.

I would absolutely love for Shaw to swing Wood down back on to a hbf. Simplify the game for him like we did for Ahern and watch him flourish.

FB: Marley / Tarrant / Pittard
HB: Ahern / Daw / Wood

That's an extremely explosive backline and I reckon Rhyce would love the idea of 5x potential attacking options on the field at once. Would keep opposition forwards on their toes all game.

I also firmly believe if Bailey gets a good run at it this year he will lock up the wing spot opposite Polec. Lots to be excited about next season.

Bailey ahead of Dumont?

Hall, Tyson, Wood

If these three all had breakouts then we are top 4!

For me, I’d love it to be these three and certainly can’t limit it to one player.

B.Scott, TT , JMac to have a resurgence, Wood and Garner to finally string some games together and I think Mahoney May well get a crack mid year and turn some heads.

osaka mick

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2006
Gold Coast
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton, 76s, Canucks
I'm interested to see what you guys think as I believe Nick Larkey will have a breakout year, kicking 40 goals for the season, while Luke McDonald will gain his confidence back and have a decent year compared to previous years.
Larkey was my 2019 breakout guy. I think I hit the mark.
As for 2020, I suspect it will be either Durdin of McKay to really take the reigns of of our defence under the guidance of Tarrant.

I would love Jy to continue in is upward trend as well as LDU,Bonar, Scott and TT.

FlyHigh18

Arden St Parking Inspector
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m on the Will Walker train as well.

There are those where we say “he’ll take a few years to develop” and then there’s those built for instant impact.

Will and TT are the latter.

Assuming the injury is fixed and he gets to play, he will be an excitement machine.

Kangas_11

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2013
Toronto
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Colts, Raptors, Milan, FU Crabs
Bailey ahead of Dumont?
My hope is by the end of the season he has won the wing spot over Trent, I just see a bit more upside with Bailey.

That would push Trent to the bench, but that's not necessarily a bad thing because he's perfect for a plug and play role. Get him in the rotations for the mids/wingers/hff's where he can play every position well.

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No footy & I’m bored so I thought I would share my thoughts on each player on our list. Should get some debate going. Firstly there is plenty to work with over half the list playing less than 60 games. Next we have a lot of half forward- mids. Guys who can give good midfield minutes and play a role forward. Lastly we still have a few Groundhog players who play the same game each week without having a breakout season.

Now the individuals.

Paul Ahern.

We don’t have too many accumulators who can play inside & out and after a breakout 2018, 2019 was meant to be the time he consolidated his midfield spot. However we seemed to have concerns over his accountability and defensive work, hence sending him to the backline. Only coming into his third year so plenty of upside. I reckon he plays his best footy as a mid but there will be plenty of competition for mid field spots. Hasn’t yet shown he can join the mid-forward rotation and seems wasted down back. I think out and out midfielder is his go.

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jed Anderson.

A hard arse who seems suited to Rhys’ game plan. However he was dropped last year as the numbers went down. Originally a small forward but now doesn’t get many goals. This is a clear area of improvement. His disposal is ok but it needs to be better if he is to go to the next level. Still young and the last two years have showcased a rapid improvement as he got continuity in his game. Gotta love the attack on the man and the ball.

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Shaun Atley

The ultimate Groundhog player. Been waiting for a breakout season and it hasn’t come and now probably won’t. Still not sure of his best role. Tons of speed but we only see him in pieces. Just doesn’t hurt teams enough. Durable and consistent but he seems to have so much more. We need outside run and his best but he seems comfortable with where he is at. The key for Rhys and co is to get him to the next level either by increasing his possessions or his hurt factor.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Shaun Atley

The ultimate Groundhog player. Been waiting for a breakout season and it hasn’t come and now probably won’t. Still not sure of his best role. Tons of speed but we only see him in pieces. Just doesn’t hurt teams enough. Durable and consistent but he seems to have so much more. We need outside run and his best but he seems comfortable with where he is at. The key for Rhys and co is to get him to the next level either by increasing his possessions or his hurt factor.
I reckon Atts has never really backed himself, seems to ignore his first instincts and then gets into trouble and goes a poor option to often. having said that he is a lot more reliable than he was say 2 years ago. i tend to agree he is never going to be a breakout player but definitely has the tools to be a highly regarded journeyman. Pittard showed last season what someone with his skillset can aspire to.

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Aiden Bonar

First round draft pick, highly rated junior, could be a real steal. Great upside. We need more big bodies in the guts so a good fit. Expectations should be reserved as he is really a second year player. In the mid-fwd rotation & will improve as he gets to know our game plan. As a second year player will have some down games but this is Ok. just a good fit for what we need & is flying under the radar of the footy public ATM.

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ben Brown.

Hugely underrated by the footy public who can’t seem to get over his run up for a set shot. Really improved over the last two years at bringing the ball to ground when he is out of the marking contest. Runs opponents off their feet and gets goals on the lead, with contested marks and from snaps. We need to free him up more so he can be one out more often. Really important in our structure as we have no other elite key fwd. Too valuable to do centre bounce ruck work. His public image equals good marketing for the club.

billnats

All Australian
Feb 4, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
SMFC & Tottenham
With the likes of WW, Daw, Scott, Jacobs (?), LMac, EVW et al all coming back into contention, at least we have competition for spots. Also makes watching the VFL lads a bit more interesting.

As for the one I’m most keen on seeing, it’s WW for me. He just looked so comfortable in the glimpses we got. Right spot always. Kicked a couple snags. Neat skills. Excited to see him back.

Hopefully his soccer bud Perez has a similar impact once he’s back.

Back