Analysis General Player Discussion Thread (formerly 'breakout year' thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Campbell

So many clubs this year looked for a back up ruckman in the trade period. It’s a tough gig, only get a game if the big dog is out & then you have to be in form & ready to go. Tom did this beautifully & probably had the best year of his career, albeit in the 2s. A smart pick by us. Never going to be the main man but buys time for Xerri & now Comben to build the body & craft up.

Tom Campbell

So many clubs this year looked for a back up ruckman in the trade period. It’s a tough gig, only get a game if the big dog is out & then you have to be in form & ready to go. Tom did this beautifully & probably had the best year of his career, albeit in the 2s. A smart pick by us. Never going to be the main man but buys time for Xerri & now Comben to build the body & craft up.
Can't see Xerri getting there. What does he excel at?

I’m on the Will Walker train as well.

There are those where we say “he’ll take a few years to develop” and then there’s those built for instant impact.

Will and TT are the latter.

Assuming the injury is fixed and he gets to play, he will be an excitement machine.
I'm on that same train and have been for a while.

Jesus the blue balls in here are unbelievable, we look ridiculous.
Now for norm smith I’m thinking either cunners or goldy both a couple of war horses but Higgo not far behind on the back of a brownlow. 6 AA jackets but BBB misses again as he kicked too many goals making him a one trick pony at the expense of other stats such as one percenters.

Charlie Comben

Lots of work in the gym for him. Has to be a sponge around Goldy & Campbell. Went higher in the draft than predicted by most but we are short of key forwards. Unlikely to play seniors in 2020 & possibly 2021. Injuries have curbed his progress so far, so an injury free 2020 will give us a better idea of his potential.

Joel Crocker

Coming from a fair way back given he had missed almost two years of footy but played every game in the 2s. Seems to have a good footy IQ on limited VFL exposure. Our back half is far from settled especially after Scooter’s retirement so an opportunity is likely to come at some stage in 2020. A tweener size so has to demonstrate a point of difference.

LDU

Seems to divide BF but I’m on the positive side. I reckon he is further advanced than Cunners at the same stage. A second full pre-season will help as he plays the toughest role for a draftee. Has showed glimpses of his explosiveness and vision he had at U18s level. If he can produce as a Forward it will help with the midfield rotations & mean he is not just a mid.

Majak

Elite in 2018 as an intercepting backman In his only really good year. Robbie and Scooter’s role facilitated this. Not a shutdown defender so will need someone to fill Scooter’s role to enable him to do what he does best. Hopefully the body holds up and he can come back to somewhere near 2018 level. A much better chop out ruckman than Brownie.

Trent Dumont

Another who seems to divide BF. The last half of 2019 was a downturn in what was a previous 18 months of top quality. An unobtrusive accumulator who uses it well. Plays the link role between backs and forward well. Has improved each year and is clearly best 22. We don’t have many others who can play his role.

Sam Durdin

2020 is the year where he can prove whether or not he is another Robbie T eg an injury-prone high draft pick and key position player who when he gets a free run at it shows his class. We need he or Ben M to nail down the second lock down defender role so the interceptors can do their thing. Seems to have the tools: size and good speed. An uninterrupted pre-season would be a good start. Playing for his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Will Walker and Bailey Scott will surprise us.
Only thing that would surprise me with those two is if we're NOT singing their praises. Both naturals that find space and ball. Big year for a lot of young players. Expect LDU to avg 20+, think Jy will move to elite in the comp, 25+ avg and regular 30 touches, TT will build nicely and have us awestruck at times (although him making a mockery of the Bont in 2019 is hard to top), big hopes for Bonar, Ahern, and LMac to get back to his best. I reckon Ats, Polec, and Pittard can go to whole new levels under Shaw as well. Make use of Shaun and Jasper's pace. We look so much more dangerous when Atley runs with the ball, something we haven't seen on a regular basis since early in his career. I even remember Ross Lyon singling Atley out as someone they're looking to stop as the key to beating north and that would have been when he was 19 or 20.

Trent Dumont

Another who seems to divide BF. The last half of 2019 was a downturn in what was a previous 18 months of top quality. An unobtrusive accumulator who uses it well. Plays the link role between backs and forward well. Has improved each year and is clearly best 22. We don’t have many others who can play his role.

Chronically underrated by many IMHO.

Plays the link role but defensively covers his own player ++ to enable others to be more aggressive.

He’s building and deserves more respect.

Joel Crocker

Coming from a fair way back given he had missed almost two years of footy but played every game in the 2s. Seems to have a good footy IQ on limited VFL exposure. Our back half is far from settled especially after Scooter’s retirement so an opportunity is likely to come at some stage in 2020. A tweener size so has to demonstrate a point of difference.

A point of difference for Crocker is that he is a true utility and natural footballer - can play most positions outside of Key defensive and forward roles but would probably give it a crack.

Has lots of developing to do but I suspect Shaw will love this guy when he’s fully ready!

Plus - gold plated shinboner for life , will die for the jumper

Taylor Garner

a big fan. Good overhead, runs hard and tackles to hurt. Some X factor as he often changes the direction of attack. Just needs continuity. Foot skills aren’t great yet but it will come if he can get on the paddock. Can play up the ground in bursts. I suspect opponents don’t like playing on him. Would be a fearsome attack if he and Cam Z play together.

Todd Goldstein

You know he’s on song if his marking is strong. (Hey that rhymes!). almost back to his best in 2019. An endurance beast in a big fellas bod. Plays his best one out but the really bit guys, Gawn, Witts take away his no 1 asset, his tap work. Needs to kick more goals and tap to advantage more but probably no 3 ruckman in the league

Aaron Hall

i was most excited to get him of the big 4 recruits last season. We need outside run & he provides it. Explosive and a goal kicker who can get plenty of the pill as well. Started ok but then form and mental health issues impacted. Rhys states he wants us to attack with flair & this seems a perfect fit for Hall so I look forward to Hall having a big 2020. His best is elite but he needs a genuine role in our game plan

Kyron Hayden

The Achilles injury is going to hold him back pre- season & the start of 2020. There is clear potential though as a tagger. While Ben J might be the no 1 tagger his future is unknown so there is a spot for him. One game does not a career make but he showed there is something to work with & his form in the 2s was what you want from a young player. Needs a second string to his bow as we are unlikely to play 2 tagger.

Higgo

Just a class act And probably our best player. Racks em up and uses it well. No longer just an outside player. His set shot kicking is his biggest flaw as he misses many that a player of his class shouldn’t. Got the 3 year deal he wanted & may progressively spend more time in the forward half if the younger mids develop as expected.

Lachlan Hosie

Another of the mid sized forwards. His form in the VFL highlights genuine goal kicking nous but where does he fit in. Definitely behind Cam Z and Mason in this role. All he can do is keep performing in the VFL. A full pre-season and better understanding of our game plan will really help. Has done all that can be asked of him so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back