Analysis General Player Discussion Thread (formerly 'breakout year' thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Kayne Turner

There’s lot to like about him. The tackling & agro but he is a groundhog player. The deficiencies identified four years ago are still there. Doesn’t get enuff of it nor have scoreboard impact. Not a crumber nor a real smart user & hasn’t shown any ability to provide midfield minutes.I wonder if the experiment of playing him as backman is worth persisting with.

Dom Tyson

I think Rhys’ game style will suit him. An inside ball winner who could work well with Cunners but have Jed, Jy et al got him covered & is their room for him & Cunners in the same team as inside distributors. Does he have another string to his bow.Still only 26 but it is hard to know where he fits in.

Here's some from the archives:

Bread McKenzie

Coaches will hope that his deadly left foot will slice through the press. Question marks remain about his ability to rise to the occasion - does he only see the dough from being an AFL player as being a good way to make a crust? If so his career will be toast but otherwise it will flour-ish.

Nathan O'Keefe

Could be considered a steal based on his draft position. Catlike, he's very light on his feet, extending right through to his very light fingers. Often finds himself in a pocket by himself and so is able to easily pinch something almost out of nothing.

Gavin Urquhart

Seems to have a good head on his shoulders which will fill out nicely in time no doubt. Will be better than Pendlebury.

PS - enjoying your work Wonderdog.

EVW

looks the goods but can’t get on the paddock. Just needs an extended run so we can really see what he’s got. Can be a lock down middle sized defender & possibly go into the midfield. Seems a smart player but his development has been curtailed by the injuries. If he can stay uninjured in 2020 we will get a better idea of his future. His flexibility& calmness with the ball give a hint of what he might develop into.

Josh Walker

A nearly there forward at Cats& Lions. Transformed into a very good intercept defender. His recruitment means we don’t trust Durdin & McKay to grab the 3rd tall defender spot Next year. It’s a surprise Lions delisted him given the standard of his first half of the year. Will be given the license to go for his grabs with Robbie getting the main man. He knows it’s his last chance.

Will Walker

A lot of BF hype for a guy who has played 4 games. A good size and seems a smart player with a lot of upside. he seems to know where to go to get the pill and makes good decisions.After missing a full season it is hard to know where he’s at. There’s a fair bit of competition for the hf-mid role & he may not start in round 1. I reckon he will need a few games under his belt in the 2s before he is right to go.

Marley Williams

So important as he is the only player who can really lock down small fwds. That’s his first & foremost role & one he does well. The rest is secondary. He wins plenty of ball himself and generally uses it ok although tries for too much sometime. If fit should be a starter in red 1.

Mason Wood

The ultimate tease. His combination of endurance and skills should make him a star. It hasn’t happened & perhaps the frequent soft tissue injuries have contributed to this. Putting up for trade & getting no takers makes it pretty clear to him where he’s at. Clearly best 22 In the 3rd tall role if on song but just goes missing for large periods. He’s been around long enough now to rectify this. Now playing for his career.

Tristan Xerri

About where he was expected to be as a 2nd year tall. Done his apprenticeship as a ruck and fwd in the VFL. Now needs to step up and be a genuine back up option in both roles. Really Campbell,should not play long term in front of him in either role if he is developing soundly. We still need to work out if he is a long term ruck or fwd. must be an option if Souza is injure.

Jack

Is he a better fwd-mid Or a mid-fwd. I think we still dont know. Maybe he is both depending on the game situation. With Souva & Cam Z having such good years is there a spot for him fwd? Sets the tone with the attack on the ball but not a centre bounce clearance player. A good kick but sometimes ignores the handball. Seems to be the go to guy when we need a lift in the guts. A lead by example Capt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Ziebell hold his spot in the 22 this year?

Being the captain may not be enough IMO.
Four players last year averaged 20 disposals, 10 contested possessions, and a goal a game:

Patrick Dangerfield
Dustin Martin
TOBY Greene
Robbie Gray

JZ was a bee's dick off that with 20/9/1. He’s the first NM player to average 20&1 since Boomer and before that Shannon Grant. Lindsay Thomas never did it, Corey Jones never did it, Shaun Higgins did it twice for the dogs but the closest he came for us was 23/0.9 in a B&F year.

Guys who can get the pill and kick goals at the rate Jack did this year are rarer than you think. He’s best 22 easily.

Four players last year averaged 20 disposals, 10 contested possessions, and a goal a game:

Patrick Dangerfield
Dustin Martin
TOBY Greene
Robbie Gray

JZ was a bee's dick off that with 20/9/1. He’s the first NM player to average 20&1 since Boomer and before that Shannon Grant. Lindsay Thomas never did it, Corey Jones never did it, Shaun Higgins did it twice for the dogs but the closest he came for us was 23/0.9 in a B&F year.

Guys who can get the pill and kick goals at the rate Jack did this year are rarer than you think. He’s best 22 easily.

He's the best mark of that lot, and definitely the hardest.

Half a yard quicker and he'd be a superstar.

Watch out for him if our midfield goes up a gear this year.

People honestly questioning whether Ziebs is in the team. He's not just getting a game because he's captain. He's getting a game because he's a genuinely good footy player and on top of that a scary proposition for any opponent. With all the talk about players s**tting themselves around Zurhaar, Garner, Turner ect. They must have forgotten about just how intimidating of a prospect Ziebs is for anybody on the field not wearing royal blue.

People honestly questioning whether Ziebs is in the team. He's not just getting a game because he's captain. He's getting a game because he's a genuinely good footy player and on top of that a scary proposition for any opponent. With all the talk about players s**tting themselves around Zurhaar, Garner, Turner ect. They must have forgotten about just how intimidating of a prospect Ziebs is for anybody on the field not wearing royal blue.

Ziebell has everything required to be a great footballer., My problem with him is that more often than not, he throws the ball on to his boot without any thought of who will receive it. Provides more turnovers than a MacDonalds drive through. I have long been frustrated by the fact that his coach always let him get away with it. Now that the fool is gone, I will be keen to see how Rhyce coaches Ziebell. I would drag him off the ground and sit him down every time does it.
Let's see what happens.

Ziebell has everything required to be a great footballer., My problem with him is that more often than not, he throws the ball on to his boot without any thought of who will receive it. Provides more turnovers than a MacDonalds drive through. I have long been frustrated by the fact that his coach always let him get away with it. Now that the fool is gone, I will be keen to see how Rhyce coaches Ziebell. I would drag him off the ground and sit him down every time does it.
Let's see what happens.

I understand people's frustration with the hacks forward, but to question his spot in the 22 is beyond comprehension.

Let's see what happens.

Well, when Rhyce took over as coach last year the first thing he did was put Jack back in the midfield, turnovers and all.

I reckon that's where he'll play in 2020 hey.

The knock on Jack has always been his endurance. He struggles to get from contest to contest - often hunched over waving a teammate on to follow his opponent to the next contest. Because of that; he's essentially a half ground player. If he's kept fresh long enough during games, ; he is one of only a handful of players at our club who can genuinely impact a game.

Last one

Cam Z

The knock on him was always his tank but each year has been better than the year before. Genuily hurts the oppos with his attack on the man & the ball. Will get a lot more attention from the opposition this year. Can gets goals in multiple way. Might now get some midfield minutes. is getting media exposure, let’s hope it all doesn’t go to his head.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back