General Political Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember when the Carbon Tax was going to drive electricity prices through the roof and the removal would see an end to 'ridiculous price rises'. The libs are a f****ng joke and the media is too much of a bitch to call them out on it.

This id agree with. If someone is genuinley granted a citizenship without his consent then its untenable to enforce that law.

That would be the only exception though.

The High Court has ruled that section 44(1) does not apply if renunciation is not possible, for example by either the laws of the foreign power not permitting it or the process being unreasonable.

One judge also said that logically the same would apply in the scenario suggested by Generalissimo, though the others did not consider this in their judgements.

The question the court has to consider, assuming Canavan's claims to be correct, is whether the grant of citizenship to him falls within the existing exception; or, if it doesn't, whether the court is prepared to further "read down" 44(1).

Is this a symptom of a parliament plagued by infighting? Was this precipitated by the first discovery of dual citizenship? Or is it all just coincidence and an audit happens at this time of the year to check on dual citizenship?

Is this a symptom of a parliament plagued by infighting? Was this precipitated by the first discovery of dual citizenship? Or is it all just coincidence and an audit happens at this time of the year to check on dual citizenship?

It was some WA lawyer that had the shits for some reason and did some digging on Ludlam. The rest have fallen like dominos.

Labor certainly are, but the cynic in me says they are at least in part capitalizing on political gain by setting the agenda from opposition rather than pursuing long held policy views - some pollies do have a particular focus of interest (ie Swan and inequality, Gillard and education, Katter and farmers, Lambie and veterans etc) but the vast majority - especially the major parties - are just playing the game.
"the cynic in me says they are at least in part capitalizing on political gain"? Do you mean that trying to get elected by stating policies you want to implement and defend is cynical, because it seems to be working?

You could claim that Shorten and Bowen have been conservative in how far policy proposals go, but as the Liberals have gone to great lengths to point out, Shorten has always been Labor Right - working with business and unions in a cooperative manner. It appears to be what he believes in. What "long held policy views" do you think they're giving up?

"the cynic in me says they are at least in part capitalizing on political gain"? Do you mean that trying to get elected by stating policies you want to implement and defend is cynical, because it seems to be working?
Not long ago Labor had Penny Wong deflecting on questions of same sex marriage - political expediency wins over conviction politics in the modern era.
Shorten is the leader due to his factional organisation, not popular members vote (otherwise Albo would be opposition leader, the members choice and a true conviction politician).
By his own admission Shorten can't play the effective wrecker-role that Abbott played so is taking a different route - a route he embarked upon only when the Libs started imploding due to in-fighting. Timing is important, and revealing.

You could claim that Shorten and Bowen have been conservative in how far policy proposals go, but as the Liberals have gone to great lengths to point out, Shorten has always been Labor Right - working with business and unions in a cooperative manner. It appears to be what he believes in. What "long held policy views" do you think they're giving up?
In Shorten's case, I'd say the protection of penalty rates for Sunday employees - a protection he negotiated against when he was running the AWU, with Queensland retail workers getting a rate cut from 200% to 150% loading.

His current visa-scheme position is at odds with his position when he was Employment Minister too, when he issued 457s aplenty.

He is wedging the Libs and it's working, but let's not pretend he is an immaculate, altruistic man of the people. He's a politician.

Not long ago Labor had Penny Wong deflecting on questions of same sex marriage - political expediency wins over conviction politics in the modern era.
Shorten is the leader due to his factional organisation, not popular members vote (otherwise Albo would be opposition leader, the members choice and a true conviction politician).
By his own admission Shorten can't play the effective wrecker-role that Abbott played so is taking a different route - a route he embarked upon only when the Libs started imploding due to in-fighting. Timing is important, and revealing.
I don't think that timing is telling. Generally all parties wait to act on policy because it's going to be years before an election. If you are cynical about the waiting, then you can be cynical too about Shorten's claim that he can't play the Abbott role. He was and is accused of playing it by the Libs, of course.
In Shorten's case, I'd say the protection of penalty rates for Sunday employees - a protection he negotiated against when he was running the AWU, with Queensland retail workers getting a rate cut from 200% to 150% loading.

His current visa-scheme position is at odds with his position when he was Employment Minister too, when he issued 457s aplenty.

He is wedging the Libs and it's working, but let's not pretend he is an immaculate, altruistic man of the people. He's a politician.
No one is pretending. I was just confused by what you were trying to say. I don't see an inconsistency between his position on 457s then and now as revealing he isn't pursuing what he prefers now. I think it was vice versa. When Labor was in power they didn't want to look anti-business. I can't exactly remember the timing, but I'm fairly sure they did bring up 457s as an issue and the business world (and LNP) kicked up a fuss. It was all about 'there's no evidence'. They didn't fight it hard because they didn't want to look anti-business. Given the fall out from the GFC Labor did a lot of things that they may not have done in sunnier times. Even on penalty rates, they always phrase it as hitting poor workers while giving bug business a tax cut, rather than a fundamental disagreement on Sunday deserving higher pay. Or that's how I've heard it. I may be hearing what I want to hear.

Eric Abetz, Senator and man who looks like he's just heard the word penis..
3DC9206D00000578-4266332-image-a-23_1488248805362.jpg

Is threatening colleagues for backing same sex marriage on the basis that only Greens/Labor voters wanting it. Clearly he's never heard of polls. Apart from his own pole.

Is threatening colleagues for backing same sex marriage on the basis that only Greens/Labor voters wanting it. Clearly he's never heard of polls. Apart from his own pole.
It's fantastic that there is momentum building over this. Good on those members prepared to cross the floor. Someone said it will be embarrassing for Turnbull, but I think he can easily pretend like he wanted it to happen.

He really is a repulsive person with no politics - but he is an effective numbers person and given he has no strong political convictions means he can be a cipher for any position - at the moment that means "Corbylite". How he pulls such beautiful women will always be a mystery to me. he will be an OK PM - he would not tolerate the s**t that Turnbull does with the right. What astounds me is how little the Government uses his previous inconsistent positions against him

How s**t is the right wing Libs political antennae - the culture war is over. Mal should go out in a blaze of glory and introduce the Bill himself. See how they go at the next election with Dutton as leader. At least he can be taken to have stood for something once - let the Right of the Party take their s**t delusional policies out to the general populace and watch them get smashed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How the hell is something like Gay Marriage an issue?

Allow it nothing changes. In fact the homophobes are nothing but bigots and probs secretly gay themselves. There is no other intelligent explanation.

As for this Mental Health Push lets all get a Mental Health Day?

Never.Never will i admit it. The number of campaigners/politics/bastard bosses/selection criteria you have to deal with means I admit nothing. Unfortunately it is bully or be bullied in Australia. Bang on as much as you want but we live in a Class Based competitive, judgemental society. Never ever admit anything. If a bully threatens you threaten back double. I hate that aspect of our culture but it is the only way to survive.

How the hell is something like Gay Marriage an issue?

Allow it nothing changes. In fact the homophobes are nothing but bigots and probs secretly gay themselves. There is no other intelligent explanation.

As for this Mental Health Push lets all get a Mental Health Day?

Never.Never will i admit it. The number of campaigners/politics/bastard bosses/selection criteria you have to deal with means I admit nothing. Unfortunately it is bully or be bullied in Australia. Bang on as much as you want but we live in a Class Based competitive, judgemental society. Never ever admit anything. If a bully threatens you threaten back double. I hate that aspect of our culture but it is the only way to survive.

Australians are told to believe that the church and state are seperate entities. But then you look at issues like same-sex marriage, euthanasia and realise that religion still controls a large dialect in the parliamentary decision making process in Australia.

he will be an OK PM - he would not tolerate the s**t that Turnbull does with the right. What astounds me is how little the Government uses his previous inconsistent positions against him
Simple. Turnbull has as many - if not more - private positions which are inconsistent with his political positions.
Even Abbott was pro-ETS prior to Labor policy, then he was vehemently opposed.

It's Australian politics when personal convictions mean very little. The minor parties benefit as the major parties are turning people away from them.

Former Liberal minister Bruce Billson has apologised for failing to disclose he was collecting a salary from a powerful business lobby group while still a member of parliament.
The retired member for the Victorian seat of Dunkley announced in March last year he was taking a job as executive director of the Franchise Council of Australia (FCA).
However, he did not notify the parliament's register of interests that he had begun receiving $75,000 salary in the job, months before he was due to retire from his seat.

Now he is lobbying for companies like Caltex, Maccas, 7Eleven etc against a proposed government bill introducing new measures to hold franchisors responsible for underpayments by franchisees, in cases where head office had strong control over how franchisees' business are run, or should have known that staff were being underpaid.

Oh dear, the Libs just can't help themselves.

INB4 but the unions and Bill...

Barely reported today admist all the chaos in QT was this....whatever it is , from BOB KATTER.......

View attachment 402330

View attachment 402331
Taking the christ out christmas is pretty much a conservative standard these days even if it never happens. Nothing like being told someone else can't sing Jingle Bells to predict the downfall of western civilisation.

Conservatives have a social conscience too. You're juxtaposing conservatism and social conscience as though they're mutually exclusive. This is another example of what I'm talking about really, there's a tendency to make pariahs out of them.
I much prefer those words than 'left' and 'right' - as they are nothing/lazy descriptions.

Have a look at the Hypocrisy threads - one has 14 pages (10/16) and the other is 184 pages (4/16). Guess which is which. Wah, Wah.

You think that they have been treated like pariahs however if they stuck to the point and not play the man with abuse, discussion on the boards would flow much better. Because of those attitudes, there are a number of threads that I would rarely post in and know of others that would love to join in SRP but stay away because of the flaming. If you had truly read and taken in the last 10 pages (at a minimum) of this thread you would see this.

Come back when you learn to be more objective as for me fault lies on both sides and is only a minority of posters who sadly are very active.

Anyway this is off topic to Marriage Equality thread so replying in this thread.

Go ahead and start your thread, think that it may end up as just another thread for the conservatives.

I much prefer those words than 'left' and 'right' - as they are nothing/lazy descriptions.

Social conscience vs conservative is misleading, which is worse, and it denigrates people.

Have a look at the Hypocrisy threads - one has 14 pages (10/16) and the other is 184 pages (4/16). Guess which is which. Wah, Wah.

What difference would it make which had more entries?

You think that they have been treated like pariahs however if they stuck to the point and not play the man with abuse, discussion on the boards would flow much better.

You're just displaying more prejudice here.

Come back when you learn to be more objective as for me fault lies on both sides and is only a minority of posters who sadly are very active.

I'm being more than objective, actually supporting the opposition, since they are not being treated fairly in my view. I don't want to live in a world where certain people are ostracized like this.

Social conscience vs conservative is misleading, which is worse, and it denigrates people.
Examples?
What difference would it make which had more entries?
Playing the victim - who complains about moderating more?

You're just displaying more prejudice here.
Nope, your interpretation which seems to be a problem for you.

I'm being more than objective, actually supporting the opposition, since they are not being treated fairly in my view. I don't want to live in a world where certain people are ostracized like this.
Who is the opposition? Are you saying you consider yourself to be of the left?:eek:

You have not once addressed the abuse and flaming that occurred in the other thread as it seem to be insignificant to you.

Barely reported today admist all the chaos in QT was this....whatever it is , from BOB KATTER.......

View attachment 402330

View attachment 402331

Mother of God! It is like we are in a time warp, yet without all the stockings, chains and leather, it is like the conservative version of the song, where everyone is marching in suits instead and singing conservative buzzwords.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back