Physics General Relativity v Quantum Mechanics

Remove this Banner Ad

I find quantum physics fascinating and entanglement is certainly hard to get the head around and fully understand. Certainly the big picture to what is going on is hidden in the micro world which is a world where the rules of General Relativity get thrown out the window.
To make things more fascinating the rules of quantum physics seems to make more sense when studying newer and even more science fiction theories like simulation theories. When considering how the world started from nothing to where it is headed based on what technologies we even have today and how advanced they may become in the future it not only makes simulation fascinating but extremely plausible.
Humans do always wonder what is the point of our existence and some of these theories though make that question in many ways even greater and harder to understand.
Could we one day create our own world exactly the same to the one we are currently living?

Could we one day create our own world exactly the same to the one we are currently living?

There are those theories that claim a civilisation could reach the point in which they can simulate entire universes. Which leads to..

Are we living in one of those simulations?

How could you prove you are? or not?

There are those theories that claim a civilisation could reach the point in which they can simulate entire universes. Which leads to..

Are we living in one of those simulations?

How could you prove you are? or not?
I know we can't prove it yet but it's the only theory so far that matches the questions in the OP regarding entanglement and the double slit theory
I'm sure we could one day prove it but then people are going to flip out completely I guess. I've heard one dude say he has some understanding of the programme code so that would be one way to prove it. Going way beyond the subatomic levels could lead to the proving of it or other things for that matter,maybe at the smallest point achievable everything becomes pixelated.
Another question that we might end up asking is that if we do create a simulated universe how close are we to the evolution point of our own creation. I'm just a layman but it's weird but then again makes some sense,more sense than some other theories

I know we can't prove it yet but it's the only theory so far that matches the questions in the OP regarding entanglement and the double slit theory
I'm sure we could one day prove it but then people are going to flip out completely I guess. I've heard one dude say he has some understanding of the programme code so that would be one way to prove it. Going way beyond the subatomic levels could lead to the proving of it or other things for that matter,maybe at the smallest point achievable everything becomes pixelated.
Another question that we might end up asking is that if we do create a simulated universe how close are we to the evolution point of our own creation. I'm just a layman but it's weird but then again makes some sense,more sense than some other theories

I think when I was first getting into all things Quantumy a few years ago now this vid blew my tiny fragile mind

Been hooked ever since

I think when I was first getting into all things Quantumy a few years ago now this vid blew my tiny fragile mind

Been hooked ever since

Vids like that blew my mind also. I think I'm a proponent of parallel worlds but I'm just not sure there is one for every decision we make based on how many decisions we make so perhaps just significant decisions but who's to say what's significant. I've always believed the micro world is more significant than the macro so when I discovered quantum physics I knew that's where the answers lay and that subatomic particles probably held more significance than us ourselves considering us and everything are made from them. The significance of energy and waves also interests me a great deal.
Simulation is now tickling my fancy because it seems to fit with many quantum theories and also because the Big Bang theory has often made me think that it sounds like something is missing as in how did nothing create such a Big Bang. I'm further interested about the ever expanding 'bang' and how far it can actually expand and simulation seems to answer that question that has always been on my mind also.
All this stuff is so fascinating because to a mind like mine a lot of it makes little sense and seems so far fetched but in so many ways it makes perfect sense.

Been hooked ever since

Same.

But the Dr Quantum "What the Bleep/Rabbit Hole" stuff seems to be largely pooh-poohed by the scientific fraternity for its attempt to link metaphysical consciousness with the laws of matter.

The whole thing with observation actually collapsing the state from a duality, and the uncertainly principle seeming to apply limits on what can actually be simultaneously known about a particle...its just too weird according to our normal understanding of classical physics...but then so is relativity when you are dealing at the extremes of time, light speed and gravity.

God does play with the universe, it seems...

Vids like that blew my mind also. I think I'm a proponent of parallel worlds but I'm just not sure there is one for every decision we make based on how many decisions we make so perhaps just significant decisions but who's to say what's significant. I've always believed the micro world is more significant than the macro so when I discovered quantum physics I knew that's where the answers lay and that subatomic particles probably held more significance than us ourselves considering us and everything are made from them. The significance of energy and waves also interests me a great deal.
Simulation is now tickling my fancy because it seems to fit with many quantum theories and also because the Big Bang theory has often made me think that it sounds like something is missing as in how did nothing create such a Big Bang. I'm further interested about the ever expanding 'bang' and how far it can actually expand and simulation seems to answer that question that has always been on my mind also.
All this stuff is so fascinating because to a mind like mine a lot of it makes little sense and seems so far fetched but in so many ways it makes perfect sense.

One of the theories I've heard postulated that we actually are in a multiverse, each "universe" is essentially a leaf floating around, when these leaves collide it creates what would like a big bang if you happened to be on one of those leaves.

Having said that, it just pushes the fundamental question further down, where the did the leaves come from? What's in that space between the leaves?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the theories I've heard postulated that we actually are in a multiverse, each "universe" is essentially a leaf floating around, when these leaves collide it creates what would like a big bang if you happened to be on one of those leaves.

Having said that, it just pushes the fundamental question further down, where the did the leaves come from? What's in that space between the leaves?

Well if you take time out of the equation, it doesnt have to come from anything. String theory suggests that time is a non factor in higher dimensions. So ad infinitum is definitely a possibility. Its difficult to comprehend maybe and string theory is still at its infancy, but we will get there slowly. L.Krauss , The universe from Nothing is a great book, it discuss' these hypothesis in great details

Interesting to read this week that Relativity's constant speed of light is being challenged. Some scientists have devised a test that could determine if light beams travelled faster than they do today in the moments after the Big Bang. It could explain why the universe looks so uniform over great distances.

Over the years physicists have been able to use the theory of general relativity and quantum field theory to confirm nearly every prediction made by these two theories.

They have also learnt that these two theories are mutually incompatible,they can't both be right.

How important do people feel the unification of these two theories are to understanding many of the things in the universe we are yet to properly understand?

Since the universe has an infinite amount of time in which to randomly create universes, I am not at all surprised that this one is so "finely tuned" as to suggest intelligent creation.

How important do people feel the unification of these two theories are to understanding many of the things in the universe we are yet to properly understand?

Depends on how they are reconciled. Some possibilities are mundane, others are game changers

Over the years physicists have been able to use the theory of general relativity and quantum field theory to confirm nearly every prediction made by these two theories.

They have also learnt that these two theories are mutually incompatible,they can't both be right.

Have a look at this. Deep stuff, but Susskind and his team are on the forefront of merging the two fields. Very surprising and very well explained by him.

Have a look at this. Deep stuff, but Susskind and his team are on the forefront of merging the two fields. Very surprising and very well explained by him.

Cheers man,I'll check it out. Like Boydshow kind off said the merging of these two theories could be a huge game changer.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back