General Rugby League Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Vale Terry Hill.

Died of a heart attack aged 52.

Absolutely shattered about this.

I grew up in the golden era of the Footy Show - I still remember when it began as, from memory, a bit of a one-off to serve as some extra entertainment during an early 90s finals series before mutating into the full-time institution it became and it was just furniture. Every Thursday night. And Terry with his segments from Dapto and all the dogs at 66-1 was such a big part of that.

This Video goes for basically a minute and has me in stitches:

The guy was seriously tough too, and could play. He was as good as any centre of the mid 90s once Meninga retired.

Absolutely shattered about this.

I grew up in the golden era of the Footy Show - I still remember when it began as, from memory, a bit of a one-off to serve as some extra entertainment during an early 90s finals series before mutating into the full-time institution it became and it was just furniture. Every Thursday night. And Terry with his segments from Dapto and all the dogs at 66-1 was such a big part of that.

This Video goes for basically a minute and has me in stitches:

The guy was seriously tough too, and could play. He was as good as any centre of the mid 90s once Meninga retired.

I had a beer with him in a mates bar in Phuket exactly 2 years ago watching a Tigers game.
RIP Terry Hill

Disclaimer: ex front rower speaking.

I’m getting a little over the ‘let’s ban the kick off’ talk.

It was sparked again yesterday after Suli was knocked out in the opening charge of the game from JWH. I felt sorry for the guy as he was virtually sandwiched between two of his own players and left with nowhere to go and his head crashed into the point of Jared’s chin but almost all of these instances are fairly easily avoidable.

They’ve got not one, not two, but three defenders going in bolt upright against a runner who himself is bolt upright.

Where is the legs or hip tackler? Who is coaching these guys? The MOST footwork a prop is going to put on is a little step so it’s not like someone is going to plant their feet for a low tackle and be stood up. Have a player get themselves set to go low and two others to wrap the ball. If someone wants to take a chance and put a shot on then that’s on them but don’t take a fundamental part of the game away because defenders cannot organise themselves to pull off a very, very basic part of the game.

I reckon the Panthers prop combination of Moses Leota and James Fisher-Harris must now rank as the equal-best of the modern era alongside Shane Webcke and Petero Civoniceva.

Perhaps for efficiency and just getting their role played.

Remember Petero and Webcke played 10 seasons together and did it at Origin and Test level too and Brisbane were more or less at or near the top of the tree that entire time to some degree.

I don’t disagree that JFH in particular is one of the best of the past 20 years.

I always really rated - having started watching as a really young kid - the kiwi pair of Pongia and Lomax (who was an absolute grub but very tough) at the Raiders in the early 90s, and Lazzo alongside Gavin Allan/Mark Hohn who were both as tough as nails. Then you had the Manly combos of Carroll with David Gillespie and Ian Roberts who was essentially as hard as most props.
Newcastle had Harragon along with Mark Sargent and Tony Butterfield. There were some really good combinations in the 90s.

Blake Ferguson allegedly channeling his namesake Dennis up in the Newcastle competition and getting up so some less than savoury activities and having his contract with Kurri Kurri torn up after one match.

Never change Fergo you f**king *******

Remove this Banner Ad

Back