Astronomy General Space Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s looking to be a bit of a fizzer tonight according to the Glendale aurora app. Still things can change but it seems the next cme that has arrived is glancing earth so is not as strong.
My daughter is studying in Tasmania and unknown to me, she saw the Aurora and snapped a few pictures, which she has just sent to me. Poor quality but it looks pretty spectacular.

aurora1a.jpg

aurora2a.jpg

.​

My daughter is studying in Tasmania and unknown to me, she saw the Aurora and snapped a few pictures, which she has just sent to me. Poor quality but it looks pretty spectacular.

Yeah it would have been an awesome site to see in Tassie. I’m trying to talk my wife into a northern lights cruise.

China lands on the far side of the moon in an unmanned craft and plans to return to earth with 2kg of rock and soil samples. It's not clear what scientific knowledge will be discovered by this journey.

China lands on the far side of the moon in an unmanned craft and plans to return to earth with 2kg of rock and soil samples. It's not clear what scientific knowledge will be discovered by this journey.
Showing off all the tech they have stolen from the US?

1717676416636.png

Boeing Starliner finally launched atop an Atlas V rocket after a number of delays. They have found a number of helium leaks en route to the ISS. Pressurised helium is used by the navigation thrusters of the craft. NASA are saying these are not dangerous or mission killing.

IIRC this is the 100th consecutive successful Atlas V launch, there are only 16 flights left before ULA change to the Vulcan rocket.

Starship successfully completed several critical tests then demonstrated some of the rocket’s reusable technology by performing a “soft” landing at sea of its Superheavy booster in the Gulf of Mexico. It's a significant achievement.

Starship successfully completed several critical tests then demonstrated some of the rocket’s reusable technology by performing a “soft” landing at sea of its Superheavy booster in the Gulf of Mexico. It's a significant achievement.

Yes it is a real significant achievement. Largest rocket ever launched. Good few days for NASA.

For the moon landing it doesn't need the heat resistant tiles or fins. This variant of Starship is called Starship HLS (Human landing system) I'm not sure there are any precise plans what to do with Starship HLS after it's returned crew to Artemis. Left in orbit it could be turned into am orbital station, if it was refueled it could be landed on the moon as a base or even return to Earth orbit.

11 minute video of the 4th Starship mission. There is a second video which follows the first showing Starship reentry. Recommended for all space cadets.

Last edited:
Yes it is a real significant achievement. Largest rocket ever launched. Good few days for NASA.

For the moon landing it doesn't need the heat resistant tiles or fins. This variant of Starship is called Starship HLS (Human landing system) I'm not sure there are any precise plans what to do with Starship HLS after it's returned crew to Artemis. Left in orbit it could be turned into am orbital station, if it was refueled it could be landed on the moon as a base or even return to Earth orbit.

Goosebumps when the booster completed its soft landing and all the people who had worked on it were cheering.

What's next for the Starship program?

Goosebumps when the booster completed its soft landing and all the people who had worked on it were cheering.

What's next for the Starship program?

Musk was suggesting they might try to catch the booster with the chop sticks next time. They have the block II ships coming through which are lighter and carry more fuel, though I think they have a couple of block I already built which will be used in the next test. The first deadline is the 2026 when the first Artemis mission is scheduled and Starship becomes a very, very large lunar lander. They need to nail landing starship, orbital refuelling and docking before that, so I expect later missions will incorporate tests of those

Remove this Banner Ad

Back