Astronomy General Space Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

CD Xbow

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

:cool:
I thought I found the missing 2.5% of baryonic matter around my waste. The conversation has an article by the researchers - https://theconversation.com/half-th...ssing-we-found-it-hiding-in-the-cosmos-138569 It's a good example of how important better 'eyes' are for pushing science and improving our understanding of reality, just as the microscope and telescope did centuries earlier.

sorted

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham, West Ham, Real Betis
Who's gunna watch the SpaceX launch? It's due for 6:33 am eastern Aus time. I gather there's quite a few live streams.
EDIT: It's been scrubbed for today

Did you watch it today? Weather was good and the launch went perfectly.

The live feed from NASA was a bit Murica fu** Yeah. You would have thought this was the first rocket ever to go to the ISS. No mention of the Russians taking 100 people up and down over the last nine years. No mention of the three guys currently on the ISS.

The live feed of the booster landing back on the drone ship cut out, then when it came back up the rocket was sitting there. Looked fake lol.

Dockerjonz

Club Legend
May 27, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Benfica,Canucks
Did you watch it today? Weather was good and the launch went perfectly.

The live feed from NASA was a bit Murica fu** Yeah. You would have thought this was the first rocket ever to go to the ISS. No mention of the Russians taking 100 people up and down over the last nine years. No mention of the three guys currently on the ISS.

The live feed of the booster landing back on the drone ship cut out, then when it came back up the rocket was sitting there. Looked fake lol.
Haha was sooo fake- I farkin' lol'd when that happened. Anyone believing it landed perfectly deserves to have that rocket rammed up their arse

Pakenhamsaint

Premium Platinum
Jan 5, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Apparently the reason behind that is when the rocket gets close it rocks the droneship bad enough the camera signal that gets beamed up to a satellite ends up missing the satellite causing it to cut out. Once it's landed and the droneship settles the signal restores.

sorted

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham, West Ham, Real Betis
Apparently the reason behind that is when the rocket gets close it rocks the droneship bad enough the camera signal that gets beamed up to a satellite ends up missing the satellite causing it to cut out. Once it's landed and the droneship settles the signal restores.
Yeah I saw that explanation. If that is correct it's been a known issue for a few years which could have easily been addressed. Such as having a local link to a nearby support ship that maintains the signal to the satellite. A helicopter or flying drone could have captured the landing. If it's an issue with the uplink then a recording of the video from the drone ship should have been made available by now. What happened to the video from the booster rocket that we were viewing live as it descended - until a few seconds before it was due to land?

It seems strange that every other aspect of the mission was covered by live hi-def video yet from the drone landing ship we get a murky low-res picture that cut out at the vital moment.

There is a reason that the landing ship is not manned.

rippersnipper

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That whole Betelgeuse dimming thing was just an eruption that lead to dust blocking part of the star. I'd love to see a supernova but I'm sort of glad that we can put that theory to bed for the moment. Give me Eta Carinae exploding over Betelgeuse; prime viewing down here in the southern hemisphere

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad