Astronomy General Space Discussion

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

:cool:
I thought I found the missing 2.5% of baryonic matter around my waste. The conversation has an article by the researchers - https://theconversation.com/half-th...ssing-we-found-it-hiding-in-the-cosmos-138569 It's a good example of how important better 'eyes' are for pushing science and improving our understanding of reality, just as the microscope and telescope did centuries earlier.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Who's gunna watch the SpaceX launch? It's due for 6:33 am eastern Aus time. I gather there's quite a few live streams.
EDIT: It's been scrubbed for today

Did you watch it today? Weather was good and the launch went perfectly.

The live feed from NASA was a bit Murica * Yeah. You would have thought this was the first rocket ever to go to the ISS. No mention of the Russians taking 100 people up and down over the last nine years. No mention of the three guys currently on the ISS.

The live feed of the booster landing back on the drone ship cut out, then when it came back up the rocket was sitting there. Looked fake lol.

Dockerjonz

Club Legend
May 27, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Benfica,Canucks
Did you watch it today? Weather was good and the launch went perfectly.

The live feed from NASA was a bit Murica fu** Yeah. You would have thought this was the first rocket ever to go to the ISS. No mention of the Russians taking 100 people up and down over the last nine years. No mention of the three guys currently on the ISS.

The live feed of the booster landing back on the drone ship cut out, then when it came back up the rocket was sitting there. Looked fake lol.

Haha was sooo fake- I farkin' lol'd when that happened. Anyone believing it landed perfectly deserves to have that rocket rammed up their arse

Apparently the reason behind that is when the rocket gets close it rocks the droneship bad enough the camera signal that gets beamed up to a satellite ends up missing the satellite causing it to cut out. Once it's landed and the droneship settles the signal restores.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Apparently the reason behind that is when the rocket gets close it rocks the droneship bad enough the camera signal that gets beamed up to a satellite ends up missing the satellite causing it to cut out. Once it's landed and the droneship settles the signal restores.

Yeah I saw that explanation. If that is correct it's been a known issue for a few years which could have easily been addressed. Such as having a local link to a nearby support ship that maintains the signal to the satellite. A helicopter or flying drone could have captured the landing. If it's an issue with the uplink then a recording of the video from the drone ship should have been made available by now. What happened to the video from the booster rocket that we were viewing live as it descended - until a few seconds before it was due to land?

It seems strange that every other aspect of the mission was covered by live hi-def video yet from the drone landing ship we get a murky low-res picture that cut out at the vital moment.

There is a reason that the landing ship is not manned.

rippersnipper

What up son, whatever
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That whole Betelgeuse dimming thing was just an eruption that lead to dust blocking part of the star. I'd love to see a supernova but I'm sort of glad that we can put that theory to bed for the moment. Give me Eta Carinae exploding over Betelgeuse; prime viewing down here in the southern hemisphere

Got you all covered for the super conjunction tonight.

No need to look up.

13D3829C-AB65-43DD-BAC2-5522787237E6.jpeg

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
The Perseverance Rover is due to land on Mars tomorrow morning (approx 7:45am AEDT), and you can watch it in real time if you want

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We have an Australian led and designed mission on Percy. It has not got the media attention it deserves. Dr Abigail Allwood, is a geologist, is one of seven principal investigators chosen for the mission. Read about it here - NASA's latest Mars mission with Perseverance has two very interested Australians: Abigail Allwood and David Flannery - ABC News It's a great achievement and should be celebrated more widely. I struck by this sentence, showing the order of magnitude change that happens when you get into the big league.

"With $US 1.3 billion in funding, work began to develop a full-scale version of the PIXL prototype."

I'm not sure she would have ever dreamed of getting $10 million to develop the instrument, much less over a billion.

Back