General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind a captain getting in a ref's ear. It is part of the job. Wally Lewis was the greatest player and captain I've seen and a serial yapper too.

I really don't like that the other 16 players
feel entitled to question the ref. Captain v Ref is a 1 on 1 conversation. If everyone else on the field tells the ref where he is going wrong, it is not going to help good decision making IMO.

I hate the "three players looming over the ref" thing that the NRL seems to get going quite regularly. Definitely comes across off the field as attempted intimidation and I have the utmost respect for NRL refs because other than Cowboys finals in Sydney, they generally seem to keep consistent interpretations and if one team is constantly getting penalized... it's probably because they're choosing to ignore the offside, etc, warnings that they keep getting.

Not that long ago, you would get one warning if you said anything to the ref. After that, it was the sin bin. It is a slippery slope if you let that sort of behaviour go. Soccer has got it completely wrong with the way they mob the referee after a decision is made.

Not that long ago, you would get one warning if you said anything to the ref. After that, it was the sin bin. It is a slippery slope if you let that sort of behaviour go. Soccer has got it completely wrong with the way they mob the referee after a decision is made.

I actually prefer that. The hoo-haa around ref touching over the last week or two was ridiculous. If you want to maintain refereeing integrity, you need to protect the refs from any appearance of an attempt to intimidate - touching should be right out.

On the flipside, rugby's on a winner. Was watching some Super rugby over the weekend and still heard the players calling the ref "sir".

Not really sure how I feel about that to be honest. Would seem weird to not start the "summer" in Brisbane
Agree. I'm traditionalist and starting the summer at the Gabba definitely conforms with that. In saying that, this move should see crowd attendance go up - if Adelaide last year is anything to go by

Ryan Harris reckons a pink ball test at the Gabba is a catastrophe waiting to happen. Reckons the ball will be ridiculously unpredictable at twilight and into the evening. Much much worse than Adelaide.

Ryan Harris reckons a pink ball test at the Gabba is a catastrophe waiting to happen. Reckons the ball will be ridiculously unpredictable at twilight and into the evening. Much much worse than Adelaide.
Yeah can see that being an issue but I don't really know how the weather behaves at that time of the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whoever coined the short definition that Golf is a good walk spoiled surely must have experienced times similar to what Speith,Day and Els ran into during this years US Masters - but then,haven't we all?

Leicester City winning the EPL is an amazing achievement. A combination of events that I think will be unlikely to reoccur any time soon.

Simply amazing. I'm sure there's stories about it, but I wonder what the odds were at the start of the season. Would have had to have been >1000-1.

Although Cardiff City is my team I've always had a soft spot for the Foxes as part of my family hails from the area.

Simply amazing. I'm sure there's stories about it, but I wonder what the odds were at the start of the season. Would have had to have been >1000-1.

Although Cardiff City is my team I've always had a soft spot for the Foxes as part of my family hails from the area.

5000-1. IIRC the article I read said they took a total of GBP63 in bets that they'd win, with the biggest being GBP20. Figures modified by memory, probably.

As a good mate of mine is a huge Leicester fan who went to every game in their last season in the 3rd division, I'm ******* stoked for him and the foxes. It's really taken the sting off how s**t Villa were this year and I was always likely to adopt them as my temporary premier league team for such an occasion, so it's nice to see them win. Also, no matter how much s**t Ranieri has taken over the years he has always been a tactical genius - the Pearson episode turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back