General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Good and bad l guess now. If we are going to get smashed, then l want us to be absolutly destroyed so that changes should happen. Bad that it is going to be so frekin boring for the next 5 days.

There needs to be changes now, way too many collapses. You should never get run out in a test match, and it happens too much. Burns should never have come back in, terrible technique, terrible against spin and his last score was 4 and 7 iirc.

I don't think it was a good idea getting rid of Marsh as well as he had just seemed to start looking good in the previous match. I know he only got 24 or something but he looked better in that match than many of his others. If you think a player is going to be part of the future, you have to back him in for a little bit longer and not cave under pressure.

Lyon is also useless, isn't good on subcontinental pitches and is average on bouncy pitches (terrible last match). The only reason he is GOAT is because he has played so many test matches.

Get rid of Voges, Burns. I am not too enamoured with Smith as captain either (great player but lacking in his captaincy skills), would almost prefer Warner as captai tbh.
Put in Bancroft (or Renshaw) and Handscome and back him in. Would much prefer a better spinner or leg spinner but our spinning stocks are deplorable in the state leagues because we have roads in the domestic season.

Good and bad l guess now. If we are going to get smashed, then l want us to be absolutly destroyed so that changes should happen. Bad that it is going to be so frekin boring for the next 5 days.

There needs to be changes now, way too many collapses. You should never get run out in a test match, and it happens too much. Burns should never have come back in, terrible technique, terrible against spin and his last score was 4 and 7 iirc.

I don't think it was a good idea getting rid of Marsh as well as he had just seemed to start looking good in the previous match. I know he only got 24 or something but he looked better in that match than many of his others. If you think a player is going to be part of the future, you have to back him in for a little bit longer and not cave under pressure.

Lyon is also useless, isn't good on subcontinental pitches and is average on bouncy pitches (terrible last match). The only reason he is GOAT is because he has played so many test matches.

Get rid of Voges, Burns. I am not too enamoured with Smith as captain either (great player but lacking in his captaincy skills), would almost prefer Warner as captai tbh.
Put in Bancroft (or Renshaw) and Handscome and back him in. Would much prefer a better spinner or leg spinner but our spinning stocks are deplorable in the state leagues because we have roads in the domestic season.

Do you pay any attention to reality? Marsh broke his finger in the first test. Out injured. Not a media outlet that has not reported it.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Do you pay any attention to reality? Marsh broke his finger in the first test. Out injured. Not a media outlet that has not reported it.
Excuse me, instead of being a douche bag, how bout you get your facts straight. M.Marsh l am talking about, not S.Marsh. thought it was fairly obvious that he was the one that got dropped.

Excuse me, instead of being a douche bag, how bout you get your facts straight. M.Marsh l am talking about, not S.Marsh. thought it was fairly obvious that he was the one that got dropped.

OK wrong Marsh. No need to be an offensive..........

Last edited:
Pathetic effort with the bat for sure, but the review system has to be looked at. Again batsmen are being given out lbw after bal tracking shows it glancing leg stump. Never in the history of the game have those close calls been out.. The technology assumes the ball travels straight after it hits the pad - in reality it does not so the batsman gets the benefit of the doubt. Good teams make their own luck - but jeez we have have copped it this series.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
OK wrong Marsh. No need to be an offensive..........
mate, l gave back as much as you did...

Anyway, South Africans have shown that it is not difficult if you have a good temperament, and technique which we lack. Bowlers look pedestrian on the same pitch. We have no menace, Pattinson (if we wasn't injured) would have been really good on this pitch imo.

Dallas have been the most impressive team this season. Thought the wheels would fall off, but you're charging to the damn superbowl.

At least Miami haven't been a basketcase the past 4 weeks.

Dallas have been the most impressive team this season. Thought the wheels would fall off, but you're charging to the damn superbowl.

Still haven't beaten NYG yet...

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots

At least Miami haven't been a basketcase the past 4 weeks.
Mmm let's be honest the only teams of note they've beaten are the Steelers and Packers (who are way off the pace this year)

Mmm let's be honest the only teams of note they've beaten are the Steelers and Packers (who are way off the pace this year)

Would you have tipped them to have gone as well as they have and be in the form they are in the context of where they were at last year + injuries etc? I know I wouldn't have. I think they've been super impressive. I don't even really like the Cowboys. I only like madman Jerry.

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Would you have tipped them to have gone as well as they have and be in the form they are in the context of where they were at last year + injuries etc? I know I wouldn't have. I think they've been super impressive. I don't even really like the Cowboys. I only like madman Jerry.
True, when you quantify it by pre-season expectation then sure. But I don't think they're the most impressive team

True, when you quantify it by pre-season expectation then sure. But I don't think they're the most impressive team

I was more talking impressive in terms of expectation + other factors (e.g. injuries) against the reality of where they are now. Not saying they're the 'best' team in the league. That is clearly Miami.

NFL this season is all over the place. Seems like the new league leader or favourite only lasts a week before they have a significant loss. Must be the cowboys turn next week!

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys

Lol, I rate beating the Bengals, Eagles and Redskins over the Packers this year. NFC East is NFC Beast again too.

Man, if Terrance Williams runs out of bounds vs the Giants in week 1 and stops the clock then we're probably on a perfect season.

Don't hate Cockliff. It's a great story so far. Rookie QB and Rookie HB. Bryant missing for quite a few games. Undefeated on the road so far.

Very much doubt we will make it to the Super Bowl let alone win it but you can't wipe the smile from my face at the moment.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Lol, I rate beating the Bengals, Eagles and Redskins over the Packers this year. NFC East is NFC Beast again too.

Man, if Terrance Williams runs out of bounds vs the Giants in week 1 and stops the clock then we're probably on a perfect season.

Don't hate Cockliff. It's a great story so far. Rookie QB and Rookie HB. Bryant missing for quite a few games. Undefeated on the road so far.

Very much doubt we will make it to the Super Bowl let alone win it but you can't wipe the smile from my face at the moment.
It's a tremendous story, especially on the back of last season. I don't think anyone saw this happening.
Love Zeke too, such a beast. It would be interesting to see him behind an O-line not as dominant as the 'Boys but still tracking to be a HoFer.

My point was the top-end teams in the AFC are a whole lot stronger (IMO) than what the Cowboys have come up against. The Pats, Chiefs & Raiders are cooking and the Broncos can't be discounted from the race either.

FWIW I think it'll be between them and Seattle for the NFC, but whoever wins the AFC is winning it all.

Aug 31, 2011
Bris
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What a shameful performance.

In one innings SA had 6 players reach double figures, in Australia's two innings we had a total of 5 players reach double figures.

Embarrassing on so many fronts.

What a shameful performance.

In one innings SA had 6 players reach double figures, in Australia's two innings we had a total of 5 players reach double figures.

Embarrassing on so many fronts.
Haven't been this disinterested in a cricket season since, let's think, last season.

Back